Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Canada should have an open border with Australia and NZ?
Yes 15 51.72%
No 10 34.48%
Not Sure/Undecided 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,586,367 times

Advertisements

How will Canada as a country benefit? It seems like many people might just pick up and settle in Australia. We lose tonnes of talented people to the US and now we are giving people another option. We might end up on the losing end of the stick here when it all nets out. I won't lie, the allure of warm weather and proximity to the growth in Asia is enticing...especially if I were single in my 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,196,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
How will Canada as a country benefit? It seems like many people might just pick up and settle in Australia. We lose tonnes of talented people to the US and now we are giving people another option. We might end up on the losing end of the stick here when it all nets out. I won't lie, the allure of warm weather and proximity to the growth in Asia is enticing...especially if I were single in my 20s.
You offset it with cancer causing sun, posionous animals, and spiders bigger than your head.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM

7,236 posts, read 9,209,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
It's too far away from everywhere - that seems to be the main complaint directed at those countries, even from natives. They stand just as good a chance of losing their population to Canada due to Canada's proximity to the US, and the fact that it is nearer Europe as we do to losing ours.

I can see that the main attraction would be for young people in both countries, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that Canadian young people would chose to spend their adult lives in Canada for the reasons already stated. I can see a benefit to young Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis in terms of being able to broaden their horizons with an ability to travel and work in other countries but in terms of Canadians, I don't see some sort of massive settlement there. Nor do I see senior citizens, the type who are snowbirds in the US currently, making a move there because it is too far from their children and grandchildren. I don't see any downside at all to opening the borders between our three countries.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's too far away from everywhere - that seems to be the main complaint directed at those countries, even from natives. They stand just as good a chance of losing their population to Canada due to Canada's proximity to the US, and the fact that it is nearer Europe as we do to losing ours.

I can see that the main attraction would be for young people in both countries, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that Canadian young people would chose to spend their adult lives in Canada for the reasons already stated. I can see a benefit to young Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis in terms of being able to broaden their horizons with an ability to travel and work in other countries but in terms of Canadians, I don't see some sort of massive settlement there. Nor do I see senior citizens, the type who are snowbirds in the US currently, making a move there because it is too far from their children and grandchildren. I don't see any downside at all to opening the borders between our three countries.
Good points about the distance and isolated nature of Australia. I wasn't implying there would be a mass exodus but I'm not convinced we would gain more than we will lose in terms of talent. Maybe but I'm not sure. Most people who leave to the US for work usually don't come back once they meet a significant other and have a career; the same can happen if we let youth who are born and educated in the Canadian system move away, even if it's far. I just think our focus should be to retain talent in this country and I don't know if this policy would help. It might not do great harm, but it might not do any good either.

So even if you can say there's little downside, there still needs to be some upside for our country. What is the real benefit? If we want young people to travel and live/work in other places for the "experience", this can achieved by other means. For instance, creating an easy visa process to live/work in either country seems more feasible vs. allowing people to pick up and settle in another foreign country at will, including all the administrative issues (taxation, citizenship, border security, social benefits, etc.) this creates. Visas will also help restrict those who we let in country to ensure they add value.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-19-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,591,183 times
^^ You are forgetting about all the young Aussie and Kiwi professionals and trades people that could move here and enhance our economy. Remember the open border works both ways...

Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
^^ You are forgetting about all the young Aussie and Kiwi professionals and trades people that could move here and enhance our economy. Remember the open border works both ways...
What do they have that we need or can't build up ourselves?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,591,183 times
^^ A warm climate where we can live 365 days a year seriously, it's about bringing people together not about "needs" with that line of thinking, why did confederation happen in canada at all? What does Alberta need from Ontario or Saskatchewan from Manitoba nowadays?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:49 PM

14,634 posts, read 14,728,834 times
No, I would be adamantly against it. I don't have anything against Australia and New Zealand but I don't think Canada should have any open border policies with any other countries. Not ever. Never. Nada. Nobody.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,731,494 times
You might want to start by asking Aussies whether they're in favour of retaining the current Trans Tasman agreement.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,358,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
You might want to start by asking Aussies whether they're in favour of retaining the current Trans Tasman agreement.
Ooops, that would indeed be interesting to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada