Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Do the mosquitoes in Quebec have to buzz in French?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 04:17 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do the mosquitoes in Quebec have to buzz in French?

They just do naturally.

It's strange when they go by because it isn't the "zzzzz" you expect, but a loud "phwawwwwwump!"

Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 PM

613 posts, read 815,425 times
It's worth all those cold winter days, and months of darkness to experience the wonderful Canadian summer.

It is absolutely the nicest day of the year. I think it should be made a national holiday.

I remember one year I had been partying a bit too much the day before and I slept in and missed it. I will never make that mistake again.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:36 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
^^ lmao!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
It's worth all those cold winter days, and months of darkness to experience the wonderful Canadian summer.

It is absolutely the nicest day of the year. I think it should be made a national holiday.

I remember one year I had been partying a bit too much the day before and I slept in and missed it. I will never make that mistake again.
I have the same problem for any number of occasions so I fixed that. I send myself and everybody in my contact list a auto-generated Jacquie Lawson E-card commemorating whatever event I need reminding of and you would not believe the lengths those folks go to making sure I am reminded in the most striking of fashions; usually with language not easily ignored or overlooked.

I haven't missed Summer Day since '95'.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:35 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Canada has always been infamous for its cold climate. In the 1760's the French called Canada 'A few acres of snow' and 'a country covered with snows and ices eight months of the year, inhabited by barbarians, bears and beavers' . Link.

It appears to save themselves from having to shovel snow all the time the French traded Canada against a small tropical island: Guadeloupe (which had some sugar plants as a bonus).

Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Yeah but the worst part was that after making the trade; the French spirited away (to that new colony) the recipe for Caribou.

Unless you get the proportions of the deer's blood exactly correct in relation to the amounts of maple syrup, and a host of powerful liquors; all you end up creating is a potion that causes one to bay at the moon and lift your leg to pee against any standing object, with blindness and a tendency to stutter when singing 'Oh Canada' at hockey games the penultimate embarrassment.

It has been widely speculated that the Dutch Royal Family, while safely harbouring in Ottawa during the second world war (until Canada could liberate your tiny enclave from those beastly Nazi's), became thusly addicted, only being saved by the famous faith healer Greet Hofmans, the modern day equivalent to Rasputin the mad monk.

I'm sure you've noticed all of these symptoms present upon the citizens of Guadeloupe while visiting there from your "temporarily" below sea level Tulip garden in the NDL and attending any of their lacrosse or hockey games.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post

It appears to save themselves from having to shovel snow all the time the French traded Canada against a small tropical island: Guadeloupe (which had some sugar plants as a bonus).
Yeah, even in 1763 Renaults and Citroëns weren't good in the snow so the French wanted to save themselves that hassle.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Canada has always been infamous for its cold climate. In the 1760's the French called Canada 'A few acres of snow' and 'a country covered with snows and ices eight months of the year, inhabited by barbarians, bears and beavers' . Link.

It wasn't really the shovelling of snow they were wanting to escape from when they traded for Guadeloupe. The real reason is because they became terrified and wanted to escape from Canada when some of their numbers became infected after close encounters with Canada's most terrifying taboo secret of the deep woods

........ the dreaded tribes of evil cannibalistic Wendigo monsters in the frozen north.

Once a person is bitten by a Wendigo they become cursed with the mental disorder called Wendigo psychosis (yes, it's a real medical disorder - see link below) and they develop a taste for human flesh and become a murderous cannibal. The only antidote or preventative for the horrible disorder is the potion called Caribou as mentioned above by Brusan. Unfortunately the poor French didn't realize they couldn't use Guadeloupe's sugar cane syrup as a substitute for real maple syrup when making the Caribou potion. To their great misfortune they ended up making an inferior product which when taken as a preventative or cure turns a person into the equally dreaded French-Canadian monster called Le Loup-Garou !!!! Thus the urge to bay at the moon and lift the leg to pee. But much worse, which Brusan was too polite to mention, still the desire remained to eat human flesh during the full moon. Oh, the horror, the horror of it all!

Wendigo: Wendigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Le Loup-Garou: Rougarou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...

and things that go bump in a Canadian night ... http://www.thealgomanews.ca/Columns/...Garou.str?9965

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-24-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

The Wendigo was gaunt to the point of emaciation, its desiccated skin pulled
tautly over its bones.
With its bones pushing out against its skin, its
complexion the ash gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into their
sockets, the Wendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the
grave. What lips it had were tattered and bloody [....] Unclean and suffering
from suppurations of the flesh, the Wendigo gave off a strange and eerie odor of
decay and decomposition, of death and corruption.
-wiki
I had one of these coming around my chalet in Lanaudiere, but I kept feeding him plates of poutine, and now he looks all better. Better disposition, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada