Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times

Advertisements

Aloha Canadian folks,

Does anyone know if Quebec spinning wheels or what are sometimes called Canadian Production Wheels are still made anywhere in Canada? Or how to get an old one? One that works, of course, I want to make yarn with it.

They were supposed to have been made starting in the early 1900's to help folks make money spinning fiber into yarn. Folks here on the Big Island of Hawaii are trying to do the same thing so it would be good to get fast spinning wheels. Anyone know the source? Since they are named "Quebec" and "Canadian" wheels, it would seem Canada.

I've looked at Canada Craig's List, but that's set up for folks to go buy in person and anyone asking to have stuff shipped is sort of looked at as a scammer. There is also Kijiji, but the several folks I've sent messages to through that haven't responded, so perhaps Kijiji doesn't like folks from far away making inquiries.

A hui hou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
There are some for sale on Ebay.
Crafts > Home Arts & Crafts > Spinning > Spinning Wheels | eBay

There might be something in this collection of sites.
https://www.google.ca/#q=spinning+wh...da&safe=active

Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 AM

Thanks, Jambo101, I'll go check those links. Of course, if one is found, trying to get it shipped out here will be another thing. May have to fly over to Canada and bring it back as luggage. It's a bit big to mail, I think. Well, gotta find one first, then figure out step two.

timeout to go look at links

Nope, no Canadian Production Wheels. Lots of New Zealand and USA wheels, a very few Canadian, but none of the Canadian Production or Quebec type of wheels. Sigh! Maybe they are all in antique shops or something.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 02-22-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 01:17 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Thanks, Jambo101, I'll go check those links. Of course, if one is found, trying to get it shipped out here will be another thing. May have to fly over to Canada and bring it back as luggage. It's a bit big to mail, I think. Well, gotta find one first, then figure out step two.

timeout to go look at links

Nope, no Canadian Production Wheels. Lots of New Zealand and USA wheels, a very few Canadian, but none of the Canadian Production or Quebec type of wheels. Sigh! Maybe they are all in antique shops or something.
Out of curiosity, is there something especially special about the kind of spinning wheel you are looking for?

ETA: This website seems to be based in the US but sells Quebec spinning wheels. Don't know why they wouldn't be able to sell one to you. http://magnuswools.com/wheels.htm

Old 02-23-2014, 03:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Might be a long shot but this place has/d 2 locations in Hawaii and seem to be into all aspects of sewing, they may or may not have spinning wheels but they might be able to help you get one or find one..
California & Hawaii Sewing & Vacuum Shop | 30 Yrs Experience

Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 AM

Thanks, Netwit, the Magnus folks do have the type of spinning wheel I'm looking for, although their prices are about twice or thrice what shows up on the Canadian Kijiji advertisements. The Canadian Production Wheels are famous for spinning a lot of fine yarn fast. It has to do with the drive wheel to flyer ratio and it's usually a double drive band, too. Which has to do with how fast the yarn will wind onto the bobbin. I'm getting to the point that the spinning wheel I have doesn't go fast enough and these Quebec/ CPW's are supposed to be fast wheels. It also seems nice to keep a tool in use instead of letting it become a decoration in the corner.

I dunno, I looked at the Magnus site and none of the wheels looked like they were in all that great of a shape. This is a tool I want to use to make yarn and not just keep as a decoration. Well, I'll go look again.

Hmm, at $500 for an antique spinning wheel, for not much more I could get a newly manufactured wheel which would have interchangeable parts and spare parts. Maybe a Kromski, they have a similar sort of wheel. I'll have to go check the ratios and such. It would be nice to keep an antique functioning, but in this case the function is more important than the provenance. But, there is probably an old CPW sitting around somewhere that isn't used anymore but is still in great shape and able to still make lots of yarn.

The sewing machine and vacuum folks don't have any spinning wheels, either, Jambo101. Although they are on another island, at least they are a lot closer than Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada