Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,059 times

Advertisements

Some one asked me via via what the best place for them to visit in Canada would be? I said Niagara but should I have said Montreal or Toronto instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Some one asked me via via what the best place for them to visit in Canada would be? I said Niagara but should I have said Montreal or Toronto instead?
Best is subjective. What kind of holiday are they looking for?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:55 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Wawa Ontario

Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Go to Calgary,rent a car and drive it to Vancouver, Stop in Banff, lake Louise, drive the parkway to Jasper and back, do a wine tour in Ossoyos, enjoy the lake in Kelowna.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As an American Tourist I completely agree with Jambo101. the Canadian Rockies are a spectacle nearly beyond compare. If they are interested in cities I suggest Ottawa and Toronto as examples of the best of modern North American cities.

My next visits are going to be to Eastern Quebec and the Maritime Provinces. I really must see Gros Morne National Park and Water Street in St. John's before I get too old to enjoy them.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
go to calgary,rent a car and drive it to vancouver, stop in banff, lake louise, drive the parkway to jasper and back, do a wine tour in ossoyos, enjoy the lake in kelowna.
+1

Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
Quote:
Go to Calgary,rent a car and drive it to Vancouver, Stop in Banff, lake Louise, drive the parkway to Jasper and back, do a wine tour in Ossoyos, enjoy the lake in Kelowna.
Not that I've done all this but if you are looking for a sightseeing vacation, then this idea is the most scenic you can do in Canada.

If you are coming from Europe, Montreal will not be as interesting and Toronto is more of a typical example of a big North American city. Niagara is alright as a stopping point but not worth it if this is the centerpiece of the trip.

Of course with regards to the OP, it all depends of what you person wants to do - we've got great mountains, big cities and coastal areas.

Last edited by johnathanc; 03-03-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 01:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Honestly I don't think there is anything, nature or city, in Canada that they don't have something similar or better in Europe.

The Canadian Rockies may be spectacular but Europe doesn't really lack that kind of natural beauty.
Cities... Canadian cities? Forget it. Don't want to sound harsh, but Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal really can't compete with Paris, Vienna, London, Prague, Barcelona etc even by a long shot. North America's cities are mostly dull.

If I were from Europe, the last continent I want to visit would be North America. Asia, Africa, South America are all so different and more interesting from a tourist perspective. We don't have much culture or history here (300-500 years is really not a big deal), and the landscape, well, they have it in other continents too.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Honestly I don't think there is anything, nature or city, in Canada that they don't have something similar or better in Europe.

The Canadian Rockies may be spectacular but Europe doesn't really lack that kind of natural beauty.
Cities... Canadian cities? Forget it. Don't want to sound harsh, but Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal really can't compete with Paris, Vienna, London, Prague, Barcelona etc even by a long shot. North America's cities are mostly dull.

If I were from Europe, the last continent I want to visit would be North America. Asia, Africa, South America are all so different and more interesting from a tourist perspective. We don't have much culture or history here (300-500 years is really not a big deal), and the landscape, well, they have it in other continents too.
The tourists who come here from Europe don't think so. They find the wide open spaces, the newness of Canada interesting. Otherwise if they all went back and told people it wasn't worth it, Canada would have no European tourists at all. The truth says otherwise.

I used to work on Via and met hundreds, if not thousands of European, as well as Japanese and American tourists. One thing the Europeans and Japanese conveyed to me was how it was the first time in their life that they had gone through a landscape and not see any towns or buildings for hours. THAT alone to them was worth the experience.

As for cities, Canadian cities are different that European ones and that is why Europeans come and visit, love it, and many come back. It's not a better or worse scenario, it's travelling to see new and different things. It's also the reason we go to Europe.

People go to many places for different reasons. To say that you don't have to come to Vancouver, Toronto or Montereal because they have cities in Europe is nonsensical.

Whenever I've been to Europe, strangers who have been to Canada express how much they loved their visit and can't wait to return. My European friends also love visiting Canada. A friend from Lyon was so impressed with Vancouver and Canada he brought his parents for a visit.

The not much culture line is irritating. When people say, as you did, " We don't have much culture or history here (300-500 years is really not a big deal), "
what you mean is WHITE culture.

Canada has plenty of culture.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-03-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 PM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,065 times
Quote:
^^ this

also tell them to wait until the latter part of June. Better yet, go in September, best month for all of this.

People from Europe have no idea about Canada's long winters and crazy weather patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada