Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:51 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Actually, the "polar vortex" was caused by storm activity north of Australia that buckled the jet stream in such a way that it was sent way up north to Alaska, then came crashing back down the Rockies, bringing Arctic air with it. Nothing to do with climate change
That is totally incorrect. Clearly you don't really know what the jet streams are or where they are all located. In both the northern and southern hemispheres there are both subtropical and polar jet streams and it is normal for them to fluctuate up and down. Storm activity near Australia and it's respective southern hemisphere jet streams has no influence on the northern hemisphere's jet streams and Australia's storms had nothing to do with the polar vortex in the northern hemisphere.

Jet stream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-12-2014 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 03:12 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The "ecology" will do just fine. It does not have a value system. Latest research into ecological changes seems to indicate it is much more violent than the old textbooks with their balance of nature nonsense.

The ecological change predicted by global warming is much less than what happened in California from 1870 to 1970. Most people never noticed and it 1970 thought it was all "natural". Well, natural...but not the same ecosystems that were there in 1870. Forested regions changed the least.

CIA reports indicate a net positive to human populations due to global warming.

Myself, I like boreal forests. I like ecosystems that are not trashed with invasive species. But from a professional perspective it will be fun watching the ecosystems change and develop.
I disagree. Whatever happened in California is irrelevant because California is 2,200+ miles further south than northern Canada. The annual seasonal changes in California in any year in any century are negligible by comparison with the annual seasonal changes in northern Canada. All over the globe the closer any territory is to either the south or north poles the more extreme and more noticeable the changes are with climate change. Just ask the people in the Arctic regions and in Australia and the countries closer to the southern tip of South America about what's happening with their own evironments now compared to what they were like 100 years ago.

If CIA reports a net positive to human populations due to global warming I hope they are referring to a decline in human populations in the most populated nations and in the most industrialized and most oil consuming nations because that's the only real good that's going to come of it.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-12-2014 at 03:41 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,928,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah and what will happen to Guadeloupe, Martinique and tons of other places impacted by rising water levels.....!!!!????
They will sink, just like the Netherlands. As a matter of fact for a large part we already live below sea level here at the moment. I guess by the time global warming has happened we should be looking for another place to live. Hmm, that large empty and by that time tropical country north of mainland US looks very appealing.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,392,932 times
I don't pray for global warming but I do pray that Canada will annex some tropical Island or territory somewhere. I wish Canada would have annexed Belize, that would have been great.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
I've been assured by many American rightwing sources that global warming is just a hoax purpetrated on a gullible public by Al Gore and his liberal minions so dont get your hopes up about Canada warming up.
Odd thing is the global scientific community has a totally different take on the issue.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html

Climate Change Facts: Answers to Common Questions | Climate Change | US EPA

http://www.policymic.com/articles/78...re-the-results

Climate Change: Consensus

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring...al-warming.php

Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Follow the money when it comes to global warming my friend. Besides all that, not sure how your winter is this year, down in the USA we have been having a lot of snow this year. You plan on telling me that is from global warming? Then again it is weather, something that happens and has happened since this world was built. Sometimes it is warm and sometimes it is cold. The idea that is pushed around by well meaning Government officials is that man created this mess. That is just so far off base it is not even funny. Many people have pushed the idea around that one of the reasons the Vikings had such an amazing reach is because at one time it was warmer up North. Back then though they had not invented global warming. Cycles come and go. Just part of the life here on this big rock of ours.
Actually, yes. The melting Arctic ice caps are pushing the polar vortex further and further south, bringing more cold and snow.

What Is This “Polar Vortex” That Is Freezing the U.S.? | Observations, Scientific American Blog Network

Old 03-13-2014, 03:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't pray for global warming but I do pray that Canada will annex some tropical Island or territory somewhere. I wish Canada would have annexed Belize, that would have been great.
Ha! Your post reminded me of the Turks and Caicos... remember that?

Turks And Caicos 11th Canadian Province? Not Likely, Premier Says

Old 03-15-2014, 07:12 AM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuMaiden View Post
No. I don't want global warming to mess up my beautiful Canada. On the flip side of things, let's talk about the last ice age. I was surprised polar ice caps extended as far south as where I'm living right now (Waterloo, Ontario) as recently as 20,000 years ago.
Yes, I would like global warming to warm up Manitoba. It currently is -24C where I am, and -33 with the windchill and after months of this I am very sick of it and the animals are having a terrible time of it, calving and lambing under these conditions, which are mild, compared to the regular -40s we have been having since December. Not to mention the birds that have presumably frozen to death, which my dogs have been finding and bringing to me, in spite of the fact that I am feeding them like crazy. Even the rabbits have been breaking into the garage and getting into the bird seed bag, in addition to leaving their droppings all around the hay bales.

Unfortunately, weather extremes like this are a part of global warming. This is the third coldest winter on record here, and the coldest in 78 years. And I believe they only measured 'winter' to be to the end of February. There's nothing that beautiful about cold that seriously wants to kill you.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
They will sink, just like the Netherlands. As a matter of fact for a large part we already live below sea level here at the moment. I guess by the time global warming has happened we should be looking for another place to live. Hmm, that large empty and by that time tropical country north of mainland US looks very appealing.
Especially in light of:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ill-flood.html

Old 03-15-2014, 02:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Foreign interests (mainly Chinese) are paying top price right now for Canadian agricultural land, on the assumption that there will be global warming. So, Canadians are praying that there WON'T be, and they can buy all their land back cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada