Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,130 times

Advertisements

My observation:

In bigger cities/metropolitan areas in Canada, it's normal and acceptable for people form all walks of life to take public transit including buses.

In smaller cities and towns, it is usually for the less well off, and you might be considered as such for using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Only poor people use public transit. Owning a car is something everyone should strive for. Having a car equals freedom. It gives you the opportunity to go where you want, when you want. Why would anyone want to waste their time or be dependent on a bus schedule???
Troll?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,085,979 times
I miss public transit.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,153,313 times
My experience riding the bus on occasion here in Duluth, Minnesota (which is about as "Canadian" as you can get in the Lower 48) is that the local buses are primarily utilized by the poor, though not necessarily the dregs of society.

The buses to the western side of town, which is poorer, are crowded, at least when I ride them.

On the other hand, those to the wealthier eastern side of town often run nearly empty. Interestingly, college students can just scan their student ID and ride for free, but very few take advantage of this. Thousands of students live on campus or near campus, but service is occasional (like every 50 minutes), and buses almost empty - there might have been around five students who rode the bus with me in my senior year of college after I had a seizure and could not drive. I think the stigmatization of bus ridership (and the fact that a lot of these kids never even rode a city bus) is to blame.

If you have low enough of an income, you can even ride the bus for free.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,928,378 times
From Toronto here and I'm certainly not poor but far from being rich... I guess comfortably middle to slightly middle/upper class and if PT could take me from point A to point B (namely to/fro home/work) faster than my car, that would be a value proposition that would be tough to beat. What I'm saying is, the number 1 reason I drive my car back and forth to work is because it is about 30-40 percent faster for me than PT. If it were the other way around, I'd ditch my car faster than the speed of light!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Only poor people use public transit. Owning a car is something everyone should strive for. Having a car equals freedom. It gives you the opportunity to go where you want, when you want. Why would anyone want to waste their time or be dependent on a bus schedule???
I've lived in a city with public transportation most of my life and never once thought of the people using public transportation as poor or disadvantaged in any way, i look at it as a more efficient and economical way to avoid the hassles of rush hour and the daily parking problems associated with car ownership.Do all Americans have this attitude of only poor people ride the bus?
Do you really want to drive into something like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-w7ERV09L5h...+-Big+city.JPG everyday or do you just want to step off a bus or subway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada