Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

In Canadian cities there is not as much of an association with those who are poor and taking buses to work, I heard compared to American cities. I guess commuter trains or subways in general are seen as more high class than buses, but is taking the bus pretty mainstream would you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Since trains and subways don't always take you right to the doorstep of your destination, commuters tend to have a bus link somewhere in their commute.
It is not assumed that you are taking the bus because you don't have a car. For a lot of people, taking the bus is sometimes just easier, depending on where you are going, especially with parking considerations.

I have a car and use transit as well. I have never had anyone recoil in shock or say anything derogatory about me taking a bus.

I am speaking from a Vancouver perspective.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
It depends entirely on the city. What Natnasci said probably makes sense for most people in Van and Montreal, kind of Toronto, etc. but I live in a mid-sized city with just bus service. It is most-certainly geared to and used by the less well-to-do parts of the city. I ride the bus myself because I'm a student and paying for car insurance and gas is redundant when part of my school fees include a pass.

But yes, people here (Sudbury) probably look down on the bus. I've been riding it nearly every day for years and its interesting how it's like a mini case study on how less education correlates with low income. There's so many people who talk loudly on their phone in terrible english (double negatives, weird jargon) about how their ex is taking them to court for their kid and stuff like that. Sometimes they say things as if they think others overhearing are impressed by their hairdships. All while they have a tin of cigarettes and liquor stuffed between their armpit. So naturally it has a reputation.

For example, I remember last summer I went out drinking with a friend and he was all worried about how we would get to a certain bar after we started drinking. I suggested the bus and how we have a paid U-Pass as university students. That blew him away and he apparently had never even considered taking a bus before.

Last edited by Jesse44; 03-14-2014 at 08:40 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 12:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
It depends entirely on the city. What Natnasci said probably makes sense for most people in Van and Montreal, kind of Toronto, etc. but I live in a mid-sized city with just bus service. It is most-certainly geared to and used by the less well-to-do parts of the city. I ride the bus myself because I'm a student and paying for car insurance and gas is redundant when part of my school fees include a pass.

But yes, people here (Sudbury) probably look down on the bus. I've been riding it nearly every day for years and its interesting how it's like a mini case study on how less education correlates with low income. There's so many people who talk loudly on their phone in terrible english (double negatives, weird jargon) about how their ex is taking them to court for their kid and stuff like that. Sometimes they say things as if they think others overhearing are impressed by their hairdships. All while they have a tin of cigarettes and liquor stuffed between their armpit. So naturally it has a reputation.

For example, I remember last summer I went out drinking with a friend and he was all worried about how we would get to a certain bar after we started drinking. I suggested the bus and how we have a paid U-Pass as university students. That blew him away and he apparently had never even considered taking a bus before.
Not to say there aren't some "interesting" bus routes in Vancouver. Taking a Fraser bus at midnight on a Friday would open the eyes of the sheltered! ( when I actually did have to take this bus many years ago, I looked upon it as entertainment. )

Old 03-15-2014, 01:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
It hasn't been the case in greater Montreal and Vancouver where I've lived, but I have heard it is more that way in some small cities like St. John's and Thunder Bay where service is worse and driving thus more common. When it's a worse service, only those with no choice take it, so it's only natural. That said, we are more likely to have better service in smaller cities compared to Americans, so it becomes mainstream at smaller city sizes. Thunder bay, as mentioned, still has a much better bus system then Tulsa which is much bigger, for example.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
In Canadian cities there is not as much of an association with those who are poor and taking buses to work, I heard compared to American cities. I guess commuter trains or subways in general are seen as more high class than buses, but is taking the bus pretty mainstream would you say?
Lots of people take the bus or subway in Montreal. The reasons are myriad. They don't want to look for parking. They feel it's more environmentally sound, as many of our buses run on used french fry oil and the metro runs on hydro. It saves money. Some have signed on to Car2Go when they need a car. I have a car but don't use it much.
So, no. It's not looked down on.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Is it looked down upon where the op lives? and if so how does this attitude manifest itself.
Here in Montreal taking public transit is the smart way to go as fighting rush hour traffic,finding parking etc. is not the smartest course of action if you have to get into the downtown area everyday.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 AM

171 posts, read 273,807 times
Taken buses in the US and I was actually shocked at the amount of drunks and odd people on them.
In Canada and the UK, it's much better and perfectly acceptable to take the bus - why wouldn't you if it gets you to where you want to go?! The exception of course is snow and then they'll be delayed anyway.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM

84 posts, read 303,006 times
In small cities (Windsor, London) it is generally looked down upon. However, these cities in SW Ontario are more Americanized than typical Canadian cities.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,650 times
As others said I'm sure it depends on the city. Smaller cities such as London yes on the other hand Vancouver is very convenient to take the public transport (Buses, Skytrain, Seabus) rather than have a car (if you're wealthy enough to own one that is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada