Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:51 PM

8,540 posts, read 12,289,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Have you seen a polar bear?

Is Churchill like 'the' spot to go to see a polar bear in Canada?
I've never seen a polar bear in the wild, and on one of my trips to northern Canada I was glad that I didn't. Several years ago I canoed up to Hudson Bay and we ended up just south of Polar Bear Provincial Park. We were concerned that we might run into a polar bear, but we didn't. We managed to see about 28 black bears, though, and it was always a challenge keeping food away from the bears (there aren't any trees big enough to do any good up there).

While walking alone into a blueberry field one evening, I did stumble upon a huge mother black bear with three cubs. She immediately shooed her cubs in the other direction and turned back and charged me. Luckily, she stopped about 10 feet in front of me and raised up on her haunches, growling menacingly. I tried walking away quietly but she charged again. Fortunately, she stopped again...otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. She was just trying to protect her cubs and it sure scared the dickens out of me. It was quite the memorable experience. And, yes, I'm still glad that it wasn't a polar bear.

But if you want to see polar bears, Churchill is the place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 PM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
Quote:
I would find it to be not too bright to not bring a deadly weapon if you are going to visit some bears....

now i am interested to know how the Canadians in the northern territories live around bears without a deadly weapon.
People in Churchill never lock their houses or car doors so that anyone with an encounter with a polar bear can run into it. But if the worst happens, we whack 'em with shoes, shovels and cracker shells. Hockey sticks are not mentioned.

Churchill neighbours used gunfire, shoes to drive off polar bear attacking man - The Globe and Mail

Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,401,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
People in Churchill never lock their houses or car doors so that anyone with an encounter with a polar bear can run into it. But if the worst happens, we whack 'em with shoes, shovels and cracker shells. Hockey sticks are not mentioned.

Churchill neighbours used gunfire, shoes to drive off polar bear attacking man - The Globe and Mail
Sure sounds like they peacefully coexist

Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,509,426 times
Are they supposed to be more aggressive than other bears? I see some black bears in my neighbourhood every summer. Once I was having a party on my deck and one just came waltzing in the yard. Usually you just go inside until they are done throwing your garbage around but if they hang around too long we usually just call some government operation that coaxes them back in the woods.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,423,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Are they supposed to be more aggressive than other bears? I see some black bears in my neighbourhood every summer. Once I was having a party on my deck and one just came waltzing in the yard. Usually you just go inside until they are done throwing your garbage around but if they hang around too long we usually just call some government operation that coaxes them back in the woods.
Yes! Polar Bears will almost always attack.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 AM

2,328 posts, read 2,901,475 times
So, polar bears roam about Churchill in Northern Canada where they chase you around or try to eat you when you run into them.

And brown and black bears roam about all of Canada where they may only get aggressive when they feel you threaten their cubs. But usually don't do much more than disturb your barbecue, eat the barbecue meat and spread your garbage all over the yard, so basically ruining your evening.

What about the grizzlies? Does Canada have those?

Last edited by drro; 03-20-2014 at 06:55 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,689,378 times
Only in the zoo but I would love to one day; from the safety of some sort of protected vehicle.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:16 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
I've seen them in zoos, and in a protected enclosure in the town of Cochrane, Ontario in northeastern Ontario. Where you can "swim" with the polar bears - my kids did it. Cochrane is too far south to have polar bears but it plays up the polar bear theme as the southern terminus of the Polar Bear Express train that runs up to James Bay.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,176,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
So, polar bears roam about Churchill in Northern Canada where they chase you around or try to eat you when you run into them.

And brown and black bears roam about all of Canada where they may only get aggressive when they feel you threaten their cubs. But usually don't do much more than disturb your barbecue, eat the barbecue meat and spread your garbage all over the yard, so basically ruining your evening.

What about the grizzlies? Does Canada have those?
Umm Yeah when the summer patio BBQ is getting late we have a black bear that has to be up early and fish so it comes and knocks over the BBQ eats all the food and spreads the garbage all over the yard and then goes back over the fence of the backyard and into the forest near the river and goes to sleep in it den.

I mean my guess after spreading hot charcoal coals on the summer dried out lawn or all over the campsite in the forest then Smokey the Bear comes and you takes a report since for a Bull full grown Kodiak Grizzly bear he sure is adamant about preventing Forests fires and it makes him so mad he rips off the doors and soft top off his forest Ranger Jeep Wrangler and then flips it over and takes Forrest fire prevention very serious he was transferred from Alaska after the cost of replacing vehicles abut a very dedicated bear to preventing Forrest fires I think he works in aerial fire fighting around the world know and flies a Canadair CL-415 Water bomber Now.

Air Firefighting Greece (REM 3) J.V. - YouTube
He works international in during the diuffernt fire seasons that is what Canadian and American Grizzlies do prevent and fight Forrest fires and they like to camp and their hobby's include is fishing and eating berries and enjoy BBQ hamburgers and scratch their itchy back on trees and sleep a lot in the winter off-season.

Also Drro if sorry for being sarcastic just that if you are interested in learning about Bears in orth Amerca youtuube and many other sites that have lots of info are better to learn from.

Now If you really want to see bears then the PNW or Alaska is great and well since I never seen a polar bear but I have seen a Black bears many times and they come through my backyard so they are just passing though to get to the blue berry farm down the road and only thing that scares me is when we have mountain lion in the area that has attacked pets and is not afraid of humans.

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-20-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
Quote:
Sure sounds like they peacefully coexist

I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't say anything about peacefully coexisting although I suppose if a polar bear is chasing you, that's as peaceful as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada