Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
So, polar bears roam about Churchill in Northern Canada where they chase you around or try to eat you when you run into them.

And brown and black bears roam about all of Canada where they may only get aggressive when they feel you threaten their cubs. But usually don't do much more than disturb your barbecue, eat the barbecue meat and spread your garbage all over the yard, so basically ruining your evening.

What about the grizzlies? Does Canada have those?
Absolutely! The first one just woke up from his winter sleep.

"It’s considered early for the bruins to be leaving hibernation, but Grande said the animal appears well-fed and could be notorious bear 122 that’s been known to feed on others of his kind close to human activity.

“He looked really healthy, upwards of 500 pounds and given its girth, it could definitely be that bear,” he said."

Parks Canada officials spot first grizzly bear in Banff National Park | Alberta | News | Calgary Sun

Incidentally, Banff and the Netherlands are at the same latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't say anything about peacefully coexisting although I suppose if a polar bear is chasing you, that's as peaceful as it gets.
It was drro who said that.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:32 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
And Frisian. You must be someone's annoying little brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It was drro who said that.
^^

Well, anyway, back to the original question - I neglected to mention that Churchill is right on the bears' migratory route because I think I thought everyone knew that so in case someone reading this doesn't know that - the bears gather in Churchill in the fall waiting for the ice on Hudson's Bay to form - that is why there are so many bears in Churchill and why it is the best place to get to to see bears. There must be other polar bear gathering places, but I have not heard of any that would be relatively possible to get to.

Churchill Manitoba is the Polar Bear Capital of the World - bears have been know to migrate right up the main street

The people I know who have been to Churchill have driven to Thompson and taken the train from there because airfares from Winnipeg to Churchill are so expensive. (or maybe it was because they liked the drive). How to get to ChurchillChurchill Manitoba Canada | Churchill Manitoba Canada

Last edited by netwit; 03-20-2014 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
If you want to find people who have seen polar bears, ask in the Norway forum. In Oslo, the capital, polar bears frequently take down moose right in front of the old opera house. In Canada you only see them in the suburbs and occasionaly rummaging through the dumpsters behind Tim Hortons.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:44 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you want to find people who have seen polar bears, ask in the Norway forum. In Oslo, the capital, polar bears frequently take down moose right in front of the old opera house. In Canada you only see them in the suburbs and occasionaly rummaging through the dumpsters behind Tim Hortons.
??? Is this post a joke?

ETA: The severe winter has impacted my sense of humour as GregW has found out so I don't know if this post is meant as a joke. (?)

Old 03-20-2014, 04:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
??? Is this post a joke?

ETA: The severe winter has impacted my sense of humour as GregW has found out so I don't know if this post is meant as a joke. (?)
Nothing worse than a frozen sense of humour

Old 03-20-2014, 05:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Got one in my backyard.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Absolutely! The first one just woke up from his winter sleep.
So, there are grizzly bears roaming about Canada as well which look like harmless brown bears but have the temper of a polar bear. Am I the only one suspecting those to be the offspring from a brown bear and a polar bear?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
So, there are grizzly bears roaming about Canada as well which look like harmless brown bears but have the temper of a polar bear. Am I the only one suspecting those to be the offspring from a brown bear and a polar bear?
There are 3 types of bears in Canada. They are polar bears, black bears and grizzly bears.

Polar bears are all over within the entire Arctic circle, they are not only in Arctic Canada, they're in Europe and Russia and Alaska too.

Grizzly bears also get called brown bears and the grey ones are called silvertip grizzlies and on Kodiak Island they are called Kodiak bears. Grizzly bears are not the same species as the brown bears in Europe and Russia.

Black bears come in 4 colors - black bears, silvertip blue black bears, cinnamon black bears and there are white black bears in British Columbia only (aka Kermode bears or Spirit bears - very sacred to west coast natives).

With regard to offspring of cross breeding between polar bears and grizzly bears there have been some sightings and photographs taken of such hybrid offspring within the past 5 years.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
??? Is this post a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Nothing worse than a frozen sense of humour
Today is International Happiness Day as well as the first day of spring.

Don't worry, be happy. Winter is almost over.

Pharrell Williams - Happy (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada