Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 PM

10,785 posts, read 23,964,276 times

Advertisements

So I'm thinking of adding Newfoundland to the bucket list of places to visit. After reading and watching some videos it seems really charming. A bit frozen in time, cool accents, lots of characters, and very interesting history. I know the weather is dismal and so I got to pick the right time of year (July/August?), but the scenery looks amazing too with raw and rugged beauty as do the towns. It just looks very different than most places and I imagine it feels that way too. St. John's looks fun city to hang out in as well.

Anybody here been to Newfoundland? I know it's probably expensive and a long journey to get there. Is it worth it? Tell me your Newfie stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,789,332 times
I have been to Newfoundland back in the summer of 2008. It is a very unique place but also a really awesome one. I had a blast. I went to Gros Morne National Park and the Viking sites at L'Anse aux Meadows. I also spent several days around St. John's which is a really fun city with lots of great nightlife.

I definitely think it's worth visiting if you can go... are you planning on driving there?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 PM

10,785 posts, read 23,964,276 times
As much as I'd like to take several months off and drive over (and stop over at PEI on the way), I'd most likely fly into St. John's. Newfoundland is just starting to pique my curiosity, though the more I think about it the stronger my desire to experience it gets.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,789,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
As much as I'd like to take several months off and drive over (and stop over at PEI on the way), I'd most likely fly into St. John's. Newfoundland is just starting to pique my curiosity, though the more I think about it the stronger my desire to experience it gets.
Cool! Well Newfoundland is much bigger than it seems. I would rent a car once you fly into St. John's for at least two weeks to be able to fully explore the island. The drive from St. John's to L'Anse aux meadows is a straight 12 hours without stopping one way and that is not counting all the cool places in between...

Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 AM

3,659 posts, read 3,465,063 times
I've been to Newfoundland a couple of times.

If you're flying into St, John's, at least rent a car. This will allow you to get out of the city and explore a bit. Even in the city, you may find that a car is handy.

In St. John's, you'll want to see Signal Hill, where Marconi proved that radio signals could cross the Atlantic. Check out the bars and pubs for real Newfoundland music, and take a walk by the harbour. Drive through Cavendish Square if you dare--they say that if you can manage that, with its confusing signals, you've earned your Newfie Driver's License. Drive up the Hill o' Chips, and wonder how they keep it clear in winter. Have a great seafood dinner in any number of places.

Outside the city, visit Cape Spear, which is the easternmost point of North America. See if you can spot icebergs and whales. Terra Nova national park is not far from St. John's, if you want to think about that.

Be aware that Newfoundland is huge, so what looks like an easy drive on the map may not be as quick as you think. It is unlikely that you can get from St. John's to L'Anse aux Meadows in a day; if that is your intention, plan on at least two days there, and two days back. Of course, you might be able to do it in a day-and-a-half; but regardless, don't think that it would make for a nice daytrip out of St. John's.

Note also that even the main highway (Highway 1, often abbreviated "TCH" in Newfoundland) across the island is not Interstate-standard. It is two-lane blacktop, though there are many passing lanes. But as it is not limited-access, you should be more aware of traffic entering the road, and slowing down to exit. Also, moose are common, and you do not want to hit one.

I've enjoyed my trips to Newfoundland, as you might be able to tell. Have a great trip!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:29 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,967,873 times
Newfoundland has been on my must see list almost as long as returning to New Mexico. I want to see the whales off Twillingate, walk on mantel rock near Gros Morne in the west and have a beer in an St. John's pub.

OP - Check out the Newfoundland tourist website. It has a lot of information including hotel prices. These are a bit steep in the denser communities.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,525,819 times
July and August will be peak tourist season for Nfld, if you do change your mind and drive make sure you have reservations both ways on the ferry.
Also when driving watch out for moose walking into the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada