Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Exactly. lol

Also, all of these American companies chose to build in Canada right away, mostly in Windsor, because it gave them immediate access to export vehicles to the entire British Empire at the time.
LOL indeed. A long-dead relative worked for Studebaker in Windsor. IIRC, Studebaker ended up being part of AMC. Magnatomicflux, you would know better than I, but I think that Studebaker, then AMC, made cars in Windsor up until they were bought by Chrysler. I guess Chrysler is keeping up the tradition of auto manufacturing in Windsor--good to hear!

Does Ford still operate in Windsor? I still think about the Ford 351 V-8, and the arguments that would ensue between Cleveland and Windsor enthusiasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
LOL indeed. A long-dead relative worked for Studebaker in Windsor. IIRC, Studebaker ended up being part of AMC. Magnatomicflux, you would know better than I, but I think that Studebaker, then AMC, made cars in Windsor up until they were bought by Chrysler. I guess Chrysler is keeping up the tradition of auto manufacturing in Windsor--good to hear!

Does Ford still operate in Windsor? I still think about the Ford 351 V-8, and the arguments that would ensue between Cleveland and Windsor enthusiasts.
I don't think so, Chevy. To the best of my knowledge, Studebaker/Packard (were you maybe thinking Packard? lol) stopped producing vehicles in Windsor around 1937. The plant itself burned in the 1980's.

Yep, Ford is still here with two plants: Windsor Engine, and Essex Engine.

GM has been gone a couple years after shuttering their massive transmission plant.

Chrysler's Windsor Assembly is still home to the mini van. The large van plant was demolished years ago.

And then there is a whole slew of shops making various parts for damed near every vehicle manufacturer out there.

There is so much automotive history in this city, yet so little remains, and it makes me sad. Just like America gave up on Detroit, Canada gave up on Windsor. It is said Detroit put America on wheels, which is true. But Windsor, with it's commonwealth reach, put the world on wheels.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Yeah but it has to do with the history and our close automotive ties to each other that we use Mileage when asking for the kilometres on the vehicle.

But what would would rather have exact same that sell for same exact price on a late model used car with a 100,000 Kilometres or a 100,000 Miles on it?

The Canadian car would be low considered low Mileage and the American one would be average in the 5-6 year old used car market in Canada
Kilometerage doesn't exactly roll of the tongue in English. I wonder what the Aussies say as they are one of the most metricated socieities in the Anglo world.

As for Canadian French you hear both millage and kilométrage. Both roll of the tongue easily.

If you go to your dealer in Quebec the service person is more likely to ask for your car's kilométrage I'd say. These days anyway.

If you get refunded for driving a particular distance for work people also say kilométrage quite predominantly as well.

Millage is more used for colloquial conversations, like:

"Tu as pris ton auto jusqu'à Baie-Comeau? C'est du millage ça!"

("You took your car to Baie-Comeau? That's a heck of a drive!")

Old 03-28-2014, 08:40 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Studebaker's last factory was in Hamilton. It was torn down in 2012.

Studebaker Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM

21 posts, read 24,817 times
Quote:
I suppose. I guess I just don't really consider the two to be foreign countries.
Well there is an international border that requires a passport to cross, not to mention different laws, language, attitudes, etc. Sounds foreign to me.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommacebb View Post
Well there is an international border that requires a passport to cross, not to mention different laws, language, attitudes, etc. Sounds foreign to me.
Different language? Between Detroit and Windsor?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:01 PM

21 posts, read 24,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Different language? Between Detroit and Windsor?
Between Canada and the US. French is not used in the US as an official language.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:56 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Exactly. lol

Also, all of these American companies chose to build in Canada right away, mostly in Windsor, because it gave them immediate access to export vehicles to the entire British Empire at the time.

The first Fords were built in Windsor in 1904. The first Fords assembled in Great Britain were made in 1911.
Ford Motor Company of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ford Trafford Park Factory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommacebb View Post
Between Canada and the US. French is not used in the US as an official language.
Perhaps, but there aren't any automobiles made by the US Big 3 in French-speaking parts of Canada.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
For what its worth..........

All of the stickers on my 2009 Chevy, have bi-lingual wording. The engine compartment warning about the electric fan, the vehicle information sticker on the door post, about tire inflation numbers, and the seat belt and air bag warnings, are all bi-lingual.

Just about all of the many Ford police Interceptor models that are still being driven in the USA, were built in St Thomas, Ontario. The current Chrysler Police model is built in Brampton, Ontario. It is widely bought in the USA, by Police agencies.

Going back the idea of Canadian muscle cars............I can remember a few that stood out. The Nova, with a 396, 375 horse motor. A plain as vanilla Chevy Impalla, with no chrome trim, but a smoking 427, 400 horse big block under the hood. The basic concept has all ways been to keep the car as light as possible, with as many cubic inches as you could afford. With that in mind..................a 32 Chevy, three window coupe, with a 454 big block, with a two four carb set up, topped with a blower. Try to keep the rear tires on that one .

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada