Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,197 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I have been thinking about moving out of Miami for a while, but until now we didn't know where to. We have family and friends currently living in Winnipeg and they personally love it there. Naturally, we're thinking it'd be great if we could make the move but we'd like a second opinion first. There's many things to take into consideration when planning such a big move. Especially granted that we've both not only been raised here, but now have two little ones to look after. If anyone's made the transition (not necessarily from Miami) we'd love to hear from you. Please include info such as: Safety, schools, employment, climate, and just overall lifestyle. Miami has gotten so old for both of us. The humidity is unbearable, the job market is on a constant decline, and the crime is just through the roof. Not to mention housing! It's extremely expensive and our salaries just don't compensate!

We'll be waiting to hear back.

xo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:41 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,455,255 times
There is a border crossing between USA and Canada, where people will stop you and ask for your paperwork. Have you looked into that yet? Without that paperwork, questions about weather and schools are premature. Google canadian immigration.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:08 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalie_falero View Post
Hi!

My husband and I have been thinking about moving out of Miami for a while, but until now we didn't know where to. We have family and friends currently living in Winnipeg and they personally love it there. Naturally, we're thinking it'd be great if we could make the move but we'd like a second opinion first. There's many things to take into consideration when planning such a big move. Especially granted that we've both not only been raised here, but now have two little ones to look after. If anyone's made the transition (not necessarily from Miami) we'd love to hear from you. Please include info such as: Safety, schools, employment, climate, and just overall lifestyle. Miami has gotten so old for both of us. The humidity is unbearable, the job market is on a constant decline, and the crime is just through the roof. Not to mention housing! It's extremely expensive and our salaries just don't compensate!

We'll be waiting to hear back.

xo
The biggest thing to take into consideration is...will Canada let you in? You can't just up and move to Canada.
What are you bringing to the table?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:16 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Well, first of all, I doubt Toronto is cheaper than Miami in terms of housing. based on my knowledge, NYC and SF are the only two cities more expensive than Toronto in the US. Boston slightly more expensive and LA slightly cheaper than Toronto.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,197 times
Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to thank all of those who touched base on some of my questions.

In reply to weltschmerz & nuala I'm well aware of the regulations surrounding the immigration process. I don't expect to make this move overnight, on the contrary, I've done my fair share of research and have been in direct contact with the Canadian embassy, to understand that this is something that takes time.

So again, if anyone has made such move, please leave feedback on your experience. We'd love to hear.

Thanks to all!

Nathalie

Old 08-02-2014, 12:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:

Please include info such as: Safety, schools, employment, climate, and just overall lifestyle.
Canada is a big place with a small population and all the things you're asking about are different depending on what province and town it is you're wanting to move to. It would be easier to answer some of your questions if you tell us where you're thinking about moving to. Are you thinking of Winnipeg where your other friends and family are?

What kind of professions do you and your husband do? As weltschmerz mentioned, whether or not you will qualify to immigrate to Canada will depend on the education, professional skills and experience you can bring to the table that are in demand in Canada and it will also depend on whether or not you can afford to come to Canada. Some skills are more in demand in certain locations and not at all in demand in other locations. So before making enquiries about safety, schools, climate, etc. it's important to determine first what places will have a demand for your specific skills and narrow down from there where it is you will potentially be able to relocate to. Then when you know where you can move to it will be easier to provide you with all the other information that you want about those potential places.

You should read this topic, if you haven't already seen it: //www.city-data.com/forum/canad...te-canada.html

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-02-2014 at 01:00 AM..

Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 AM

210 posts, read 708,248 times
Have you been to Canada in the winter?

Winnipeg is a small older city. It never booms, nor really crashes. It seems like a stable place to live and raise a family. There are more dynamic cities in Canada that offer more in terms of economy and growth, but overall Winnipeg is a nice place to live. Have you considered moving to the northern US states instead? It would be a much easier move and would still offer a major lifestyle change.

One thing to consider before moving anywhere north (not just Winnipeg), is to really think about what it will be like for your family in the winter. It's cold for months (November to March at least). Days are shorter in the winter - at its shortest the sun comes up at 8 am goes down at 4:30 pm approx. In the Summer the sun comes up at around 5:30 am and sets past 9pm. Are you prepared to embrace winter sports or hide out for months? It may not seem like a big deal, but if you are used to sun and warmth year round this could be really difficult to get used to. A lot of born and raised Canadians still aren't used to it, or just always complain about it.

Weather aside, Canada is a great place to live!! You can look up stats on Education, Health Care and Crime. You will find a lot of opinions of Canadian health care. Canadians pay higher taxes so that we don't have to pay a bill at the doctors office. There are wait lists, but overall its wonderful not to have to worry about going bankrupt to pay for a hospital stay.

http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/canada/winnipeg

Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,417 times
Miami to Winterpeg? That's quite the transition as far as culture/weather goes!

Although they do have crime in common. Winnipeg is #1 in Canada when it comes to robbery by quite a distance.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totonu View Post
You cannot just immigrate to Canada without green card.
Is that so? Please tell us more.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM

681 posts, read 1,561,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Is that so? Please tell us more.
LOL. I see what you did there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada