Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Our whiskey is still better than yours! USA! USA! Rahrahrah!

Canadian whisky: It's called 'brown vodka' for a reason

Aaah well there is this as a counterpoint.

Why is the American Whiskey Media Afraid to Tell the Truth?

Kind of interesting to note some of the bench mark brands from both countries come up lacking while lesser known ones are making headway.

The writer in your link Mouldy, makes a good point about flavour vs smooth in that, a smooth whiskey need not be bland to the taste. I got some surprises when I read this one about Scoresby's for instance:

Review – Scoresby, “Very Rare Blended Scotch Whisky”, 3 Years Old, 40% | angelsportion

I like Scoresby but then I guess I'm not a Scotch snob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 06:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Here's an answer but you ain't gonna like it much.

You're a prime example of that condescending attitude mentioned earlier, Canadian by birth or not. Canadians are not unique in their disdain for each other vis-a-vis provincial borders. Ever been to Texas and listened to their opinions about other states? How about the disdain for California as held by EVERY other state of the union?

Now onto your nonsense about how I behave while in the U.S. Did I not say Canadians who offer up un-solicited negatives about the U.S. were ignorantly rude, or did I not? Eh? Did I say Canada was better than the U.S. in my posts, eh? Care to quote that particular section in bold for me.

I have many friends in the U.S. and strangely, a very large number of them share my opinions about the disdain with which Canada is held by their compatriots, they are well aware of it and readily admit they are fed bullcrap regarding Canada and all things Canadian by their elected reps. You really need to broaden your circle of friends to include those with an open mind about this subject.

Now, as to your reference about a journalist on Faux News; I discount those azzhats in any case as merely paid shills while on the other hand your leadership speaks for YOU.

I also challenged you to give me one example of a Canadian, highly placed politician, spouting anything derogatory about the U.S. and of course you couldn't. They are smarter than that.

So that's why we get pizzed at it happening by your leaders. Democrats, Republicans or Dinosaurs you're not that different from each other in spite of what the party hacks would like you to believe.

Finally I don't loath Americans as most of them I've met are decent like-minded folks just interested in getting on with their lives. It's the deliberate misrepresentation by U.S. leadership and other financial interests in the U.S. I take issue with, not the citizenry.
Your response didn't offend me in the least, but you clearly didn't much like my response to you, eh?

How on earth was I condescending? I cannot stand hypocrisy, and I WILL call it out whenever I see it. That makes me condescending?

And where was I "disdainful" of other Canadians "vis-a-vis provincial borders"? I said that Canadians have as little first-hand knowledge of Canada as do Americans, because they are poorly traveled within Canada, and I'm right. I can make the kind of comment I made about people from southern Ontario not knowing much about TROC, because I am from southern Ontario. I know what I'm talking about.

However, you didn't say that Canada was better than the US. On that, I apologize.

I couldn't care less about Fox news; I merely assumed it was an example of the kind of "bullcrap regarding Canada" reporting in American media you spoke of. I also didn't address your reference to what some Republican politicians say about Canada, because I think it's irrelevant.

Honestly, why the heck do you care about what US politicians think or say about Canada? Republican politicians and their ilk, for example, routinely say APPALLING things about Democrats, President Obama, the Affordable Care Act, and anything else on the left they can think of to attack. But some stupid, petty, misinformed comment about Canadian healthcare or the Canadian economy or whatever else to do with Canada, matters? And not only do you allow YOURSELF to get riled up about it, but you want to make sure your American friends are equally offended by it? Really?

You didn't answer MY questions, though, BruSan, so I'll ask them again:

How much travelling have you done within Canada?
Have you ever lived anywhere else in Canada in order to experience another worldview within YOUR country?
Why don't/didn't you retire in Canada?

I ask these questions, because, perhaps if you spent more time learning and experiencing first-hand the beauty and diversity of your own country, you'd feel less inclined to focus on whatever silliness goes on south of the border.

Now onto your nonsense about my not knowing enough about this "subject." Let's see:
I'm a Canadian; I'm an American. I live in the US; I lived for a long time in Canada. I read and watch much of the same media you do (during the 6 months per year you spend in the US, that is). But, according to you, I don't mix with an "open-minded" crowd? I don't know enough about "this subject"?

Um, maybe I just don't care about it?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-06-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 07:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Your response didn't offend me in the least, but you clearly didn't much like my response to you, eh?

How on earth was I condescending? I cannot stand hypocrisy, and I WILL call it out whenever I see it. That makes me condescending?

And where was I "disdainful" of other Canadians "vis-a-vis provincial borders"? I said that Canadians have as little first-hand knowledge of Canada as do Americans, because they are poorly traveled within Canada, and I'm right. I can make the kind of comment I made about people from southern Ontario not knowing much about TROC, because I am from southern Ontario. I know what I'm talking about.

However, you didn't say that Canada was better than the US. On that, I apologize.

I couldn't care less about Fox news; I merely assumed it was an example of the kind of "bullcrap regarding Canada" reporting in American media you spoke of. I also didn't address your reference to what some Republican politicians say about Canada, because I think it's irrelevant.

I pointed out that it comes from both sides of the aisle and it is anything BUT irrelevant when those people REPRESENT YOU

Honestly, why the heck do you care about what US politicians think or say about Canada? Republican politicians and their ilk, for example, routinely say APPALLING things about Democrats, President Obama, the Affordable Care Act, and anything else on the left they can think of to attack. But some stupid, petty, misinformed comment about Canadian healthcare or the Canadian economy or whatever else to do with Canada, matters? And not only do you allow YOURSELF to get riled up about it, but you want to make sure your American friends are equally offended by it? Really?

I don't give a rat's patoot about what Americans say about each other, it's when Canada is held up to public ridicule by your talking heads to make cheap electoral points with YOU voters. You misread once again; I do not make sure my American friends are equally offended, they make sure to tell me when we're watching a news presentation and some broadcaster makes a disparaging remark towards Canada. A shake of the head is the usual response.

You didn't answer MY questions, though, BruSan, so I'll ask them again:

How much travelling have you done within Canada?
Have you ever lived anywhere else in Canada in order to experience another worldview within YOUR country?
Why don't/didn't you retire in Canada?

I commenced to travel throughout Canada in the early 1960's with being stationed for three years in Esquimalt in the RCN, I hunted throughout the Pacific Northwest, Northern Quebec and Labrador for years, I have been to every single province AND territory. I met many young Canadians who were travelling throughout Canada during those heady days of the sixties and early seventies because it was a federal government provision, inaugurated by Trudeau, to have a network of youth hostels for that express purpose of educating young Canadians about Canada. you're obviously too young to be aware of that bit of Canadian history.
I did retire in Canada and spend 6 months at a time, as allowed, in both countries. I love the American southwest and spent six winters in Yuma Az but now own a home in Florida which I also love, cannnot beat the reasonable greens fees and a dollar goes much, much further in sheer entertainment and life satisfaction (except for healthcare which I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about buying travel insurance due to being fully covered out of country by my defined benefit pension plan) down there than up here in Canada.

I ask these questions, because, perhaps if you spent more time learning and experiencing first-hand the beauty and diversity of your own country, you'd feel less inclined to focus on whatever silliness goes on south of the border.

Once again you are way off base as I've already explained above. Not surprised though. I am equally intolerant of silliness that goes on above the 49th just ask me about Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals if you dare.

Now onto your nonsense about my not knowing enough about this "subject."
Let's see:
I'm a Canadian; I'm an American. I live in the US; I lived for a long time in Canada. I read and watch much of the same media you do (during the 6 months per year you spend in the US, that is). But, according to you, I don't mix with an "open-minded" crowd? I don't know enough about "this subject"?

Um, maybe I just don't care about it?
Well there you have it; some of us do care about it.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:52 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Jeez mac, you're preach'n to the choir. It is that exact wish we Canadians have for those in responsible positions in the U.S. to realize and illustrate towards Canada. Would that be asking too much?
In my experience, Americans can be an amazingly provincial bunch. Perhaps it has something to do with the sheer size of the country, from a physical, an economic and a population perspective. Perhaps it has to do with a certain degree of cultural insularity. Perhaps it has to do with Guns & Ammo magazine ( I'm just seeing if you're paying attention). Anyway, many Americans don't have a clue what goes on outside of the city or the county in which they reside. For that reason, they may have a very poor understanding of what goes on in their respective state capitals, never mind D.C. or points outside of the States.

No offense, but I think your wish is a touch pollyannaish. That's just my impression from having had the privilege to live in the States for a few years. We can agree to disagree on this point.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
You have to consider the sources that you are quoting here.

Of course Richard Burr was schooled by Dr. Martin. What does this moron know about Health Policy? His job before being elected to congress was a Sales Executive for a Lawn Equipment company. So of course this idiot is going to talk out his ass when it comes to healthcare.

Why dont you speak about the US Senators who invited Dr. Martin to speak and praised her for her performance? Starting with Bernie Sanders who had some pretty choice words for Senator Burr himself.

John McCain? The guy who got his ass handed to him by Obama? He is way past his prime and represents the same State that supports SB1070. Of course they are going to elect an idiot.

Janet Napalitano? Stupid comment that she was forced to formally retract. She was obviously advised by her party and handlers to come out and eat crow, because she sounded like an idiot.

But what do you expect from elected members of congress? VERY few accomplished individuals pursue politics as a lifelong career. The majority of them are Lawyers, who agree to max out at 174k a year? A first year associate makes that at my wife's firm. These losers know that they can't cut it in the real world.

As far as the fallacy that Canadians knowing more about Americans than vice versa is concerned, I have to respectfully disagree. Americans dont know jack sh*t about Canadians, no doubt there at all. But Canadians THINK they understand the US, but only those who have actually lived there have anything that even resembles a reasonable amount of knowledge.

I have an interesting perspective, since I am neither American nor Canadian but have lived in both countries. I also work in Healthcare Finance, so once anyone in Canada finds out what I do for a living the most entertaining and ridiculous conversations start.

Yes, I may have to answer a couple questions here and there in other countries around the world, but for the most part they really do not pursue the topic that much, because honestly I dont think they care. For some reason I run into so every single "Healthcare policy expert" in Toronto especially who go out of their way to educate me on a topic that I spend every breathing and waking professional hour of my life on.

Do I just have bad luck finding the *******s? Or do people care way too much about a country they do not live in?

With that said my Canadian friends, family members and the majority of the people I meet and speak to are great, just like basically every culture I have come in contact with. But for some reason certain topics (IE: Healthcare and Gun violence in the US) get a certain amount of Canadians going more than any other type of people I have spent time with.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times
Some Canadians want to show they are the best in the world, with the same mentality that some have in the USA, like it's a wrestling match or something. That's okay if it's lighthearted, but to get serious about it is kind of dumb, if you ask me.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I pointed out that it comes from both sides of the aisle and it is anything BUT irrelevant when those people REPRESENT YOU
Quote:
Well there you have it; some of us do care about it.
American politicians on both sides of the aisle represent Americans and their concerns. I care about all the same kinds of issues that anyone, anywhere thinks about, but I care most about those issues that are specific to the US, because that's where I live, that's where I raise kids, that's where my kids go to school, that's where I work, that's where I pay taxes.

For me, there are FAR bigger fish to fry in the US than dumb comments politicians make about Canada in order to score points, or the possibility that those same comments will offend Canadians. As a US resident, it is irrelevant to me.

So, no. I do. not. care.

And if you're going to be continually offended by what you perceive as Canada being "held up to public ridicule by talking heads" on US television, I don't understand why you'd want to buy a home here in the first place.

As I've said, there is far greater diversity of thought in the US, and I'm sure you've heard some pretty different ideas. You gotta learn to chilll; you gotta learn to have a thicker skin; you gotta learn to accept and respect the validity of all kinds of worldviews, ideas and lifestyles you would never experience in Canada.

If you ask me, that's a small price to pay for the home in Florida that you love, the reasonable green fees and the life satisfaction. Then again, you can always move to Vancouver Island, and then you won't be offended by anything.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
As far as the fallacy that Canadians knowing more about Americans than vice versa is concerned, I have to respectfully disagree. Americans dont know jack sh*t about Canadians, no doubt there at all. But Canadians THINK they understand the US, but only those who have actually lived there have anything that even resembles a reasonable amount of knowledge.

I have an interesting perspective, since I am neither American nor Canadian but have lived in both countries. I also work in Healthcare Finance, so once anyone in Canada finds out what I do for a living the most entertaining and ridiculous conversations start.

Yes, I may have to answer a couple questions here and there in other countries around the world, but for the most part they really do not pursue the topic that much, because honestly I dont think they care. For some reason I run into so every single "Healthcare policy expert" in Toronto especially who go out of their way to educate me on a topic that I spend every breathing and waking professional hour of my life on.

Do I just have bad luck finding the *******s? Or do people care way too much about a country they do not live in?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

With respect to this comment - Instead of either, maybe you just seem to gravitate to other Canadian Healthcare professionals because you work in the industry and are underscoring those experiences as opposed to general Canadian experiences with most people in the country. I highly doubt you've spoken to most people in Canada or Toronto for that matter and it just doesn't seem reflective of the average Canadian or Torontonian to pass detailed judgement on American healthcare when most people don't know much about it really. If you spoke to me about healthcare (Torontonian who apparently feels he is a healthcare expert even though he never said he was) i'd simply listen to what you had to say without professing to be any type of subject matter expert. So its either a bit of bad luck or as I said, you just gravitate towards other professionals in your field.

What I would say is that there is probably a bit of smugness and also surprise amongst Canadians that Canada has universal healthcare and the U.S does not. I'm not saying one system is better than the other (in reality each probably has its pro/con mix) just saying it is a source of national pride in the country that there is universal healthcare. This really speaks to a general sense that we are a more egalitarian society. They did a poll on who Canadians thought was the greatest Canadian and it was Tommy Douglass, the guy who championed universal healthcare in the country, more so than past Prime Ministers or War heroes. A Robin Hood figure is our hero in a sense whereas in the U.S it might be more along the lines of a Napoleonic figure.

As I stated to another poster in this thread, day to day Canadians speak little of the U.S including its healthcare system. Some Americans in here are putting waaaaayyyy tooooo much stock in how much they think we actually think and talk about the United States, its not nearly as much as they think lol. Don't worry, it doesn't upset me about the ignorance the typical American has about Canadiana... I promise I won't lose sleep over it

Last edited by fusion2; 04-06-2014 at 11:32 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
With respect to this comment - Instead of either, maybe you just seem to gravitate to other Canadian Healthcare professionals because you work in the industry and are underscoring those experiences as opposed to general Canadian experiences with most people in the country. I highly doubt you've spoken to most people in Canada or Toronto for that matter and it just doesn't seem reflective of the average Canadian or Torontonian to pass detailed judgement on American healthcare when most people don't know much about it really. If you spoke to me about healthcare (Torontonian who apparently feels he is a healthcare expert even though he never said he was) i'd simply listen to what you had to say without professing to be any type of subject matter expert. So its either a bit of bad luck or as I said, you just gravitate towards other professionals in your field.

What I would say is that there is probably a bit of smugness and also surprise amongst Canadians that Canada has universal healthcare and the U.S does not. I'm not saying one system is better than the other - just saying it is a source of national pride in the country. They did a poll on who Canadians thought was the greatest Canadian and it was Tommy Douglass, the guy who championed universal healthcare in the country, more so than past Prime Ministers or War heroes etc.

As I stated to another poster in this thread, day to day Canadians speak little of the U.S including its healthcare system. Some Americans in here are putting waaaaayyyy tooooo much stock in how much we actually think about the United States - its not nearly as much as they think lol. The only people who think we are (seemingly) are other Americans with this sense that we are for whatever reason(s).
Sorry, but your notion that healthcare isn't some kind of ill-informed national obsession isn't quite right in my experience. Heck, I've been singled out by some d1ckhead single-payer Canadian homer down in the States, minding my own business, when I was chatting with two young American women about the Canadian system. When they heard that I was from Canada, they made some kind of naive comment about our supposedly free healthcare system. All I said to these girls in reply is that the system isn't free because it's funded by heavier tax burdens and that because quite a few Canadians have difficulty securing a family doctor, it isn't as ideal as many make it out to be. He, of course, saw it right to interrupt a conversation to which he wasn't a party and incorrectly state in anger that what I was saying wasn't true. What a farkin' tool, and those tools are a dime a dozen when it comes to questioning any one of the holy crucibles of Canadian-ness, health care included.

These types are angry twits, to a man, and I'd wager that these are the people to whom edwardsyzzurphands is alluding: folks who actually know nothing about healthcare or healthcare finance, but who think they're experts simply because they live in Canada. They're a spectacularly ignorant bunch when they get going, actually. Their performances would be funny if they weren't so depressingly and embarrassingly bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada