Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Edward; thanks for the informative answer.

I'm one Canadian who will readily admit to having misgivings to the sustainability of Canada's current system. A host of threats to it's security abound with the biggest being funding.

Provincial priorities change like the winds of chance and that would, I suspect, duplicate in some small measure, what would be indicative of a nation comprised of many states all trying to run their own shows with a degree of Federal oversight.

Your economic base however is large enough to perform wonders were your priorities aligned with healthcare assuming the same import as say, your security, for without health there can be no security for the individual and your constitution would seem to prioritize the rights of the individual over all other considerations.

I am quite frankly hoping the period of introspection your country is now going through as regards providing healthcare or insurance at reasonable and controlled costs, produces a working model that may hold some attraction for Canada in some areas.

In short I hope you folks get it right so it can be a model to emulate. Think of the power of economy of scale were both countries to use their combined might in providing a system that:

provides economic incentive for doctors.
provides financial stability for hospital budgets.
provides a comprehensive basic univeral coverage available to all regardless of personal wealth.
provides an alternative option for elective procedures.
provides a fair and across the board cost sharing funding system so 'everybody has some skin in the game'.
provides incentive for advanced research and procedure development.

Quite a shopping list and I'm sure I've missed a whole plethora of items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM

21 posts, read 24,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I also challenged you to give me one example of a Canadian, highly placed politician, spouting anything derogatory about the U.S. and of course you couldn't. They are smarter than that.
Carolyn Parrish, for starters. Then there was that Liberal party campaign ad referring to Harper that stated Canada "might elect the most pro-American leader in the world" inferring that would be a horrible occurrence. I'm sure I can find more. Apparently they are not as smart as you suppose.

Last edited by tommacebb; 04-07-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Edward; thanks for the informative answer.

I'm one Canadian who will readily admit to having misgivings to the sustainability of Canada's current system. A host of threats to it's security abound with the biggest being funding.

Provincial priorities change like the winds of chance and that would, I suspect, duplicate in some small measure, what would be indicative of a nation comprised of many states all trying to run their own shows with a degree of Federal oversight.

Your economic base however is large enough to perform wonders were your priorities aligned with healthcare assuming the same import as say, your security, for without health there can be no security for the individual and your constitution would seem to prioritize the rights of the individual over all other considerations.

I am quite frankly hoping the period of introspection your country is now going through as regards providing healthcare or insurance at reasonable and controlled costs, produces a working model that may hold some attraction for Canada in some areas.

In short I hope you folks get it right so it can be a model to emulate. Think of the power of economy of scale were both countries to use their combined might in providing a system that:

provides economic incentive for doctors.
provides financial stability for hospital budgets.
provides a comprehensive basic univeral coverage available to all regardless of personal wealth.
provides an alternative option for elective procedures.
provides a fair and across the board cost sharing funding system so 'everybody has some skin in the game'.
provides incentive for advanced research and procedure development.

Quite a shopping list and I'm sure I've missed a whole plethora of items.
At the end of the day we all have the same goal, and anyone who is outright against achieving your goals set out above is either brain dead or a truly uncaring human being.

The road to which we get there though is so varied that there probably will never be a one size fits all solution, but there are some excellent examples where both the US and Canada can benefit from examining.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommacebb View Post
Carolyn Parrish, for starters. Then there was that Liberal party campaign ad referring to Harper that stated Canada "might elect the most pro-American leader in the world" inferring that would be a horrible occurrence. I'm sure I can find more. Apparently they are not as smart as you suppose.
Did I not stipulate "highly placed politicians" ??? LOL. Carolyn Parrish got kicked out of cabinet. McCain????? Napolitano?????

A party campaign ad written by student interns? Really; you'd equate that to an in camera Senate hearing over a major item like Health care reform or McCain on the steps of the Rotunda not once but twice, once after he'd been informed he was wrong. You are obviously also holding Canadian student interns to higher intellect standards than your own sitting Senators and yes I reiterate; the Canadian "highly placed politicians" are indeed smarter than that.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 PM

21 posts, read 24,813 times
You don't consider a cabinet minister a highly placed politician? I find it had to believe that a national party trying to win control of the country would have a national TV commercial written by student interns. You're grasping at straws. Newdixiegirl is right. You should stay in Canada.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommacebb View Post
You don't consider a cabinet minister a highly placed politician? I find it had to believe that a national party trying to win control of the country would have a national TV commercial written by student interns. You're grasping at straws. Newdixiegirl is right. You should stay in Canada.
I do not consider a comment "overheard" and never intended for public consumption on a par with standing in front of the public using your position to foster a point. Do you? Had She stood on behalf of her party (as many of yours have done) and publicly castigated the U.S. as a nation of "those American bastards" she would have been a "highly placed politician" publicly denigrating the U.S. That is not what happened and I believe you know the difference.

Carolyn Parrish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Campaign posters have indeed been written by student interns for major political parties attempting to gain election to leadership in Canada. Canada does (have) not throw the money into purchasing the electoral process the Koch brothers or George Soros can afford to, thank god.

It's not me grasping at straws to find examples that fit a set of comparators to either McCain or Napolitano. As to your last comment about staying in Canada; you are of course entitled to you opinion, but what makes you think I will value either of your opinions any more than you value mine?

Now are we going to talk about the other part of the post; that being 'U.S. thought diversity superiority' some more or not?........Didn't think so.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Once again you are missing my point. AND once again I will try to clarify. The U.S. is a wonderful country that offers many opportunities for enjoyment of life to all walks of people, including Canadian retirees.

How many freak'n times do I have to say or prove my affection for the people and the country to you, it's the talking heads and those who repeat their nonsense I dislike; END OF STORY.

What planet are you from where it would seem reasonable to strike a country off your list of destinations for either work or pleasure because you dislike hearing a few nutjobs spouting crap about your home country. Why does everything have to be so darned polarized with you folks it's either black or white (or red or blue) without any room for grey in there at all.

A "greater diversity of thought" is not what you're exemplifying with your rebuttals to my opinion. You're basically saying if I don't like the gravy I should throw out the stew.

We're accepting of more diversity from foreign countries with fully 20% of our population being from immigration sources. Those folks bring with them "diversity of thought" we cannot, and choose not to avoid. If you could, you should tune into any one of the Provincial Houses of Legislature real time broadcasts and you'll see real diversity of thought being practiced on a grand scale with traditional dress of any number of foreign nations being represented by sitting elected members. That's putting "diversity of thought" rubber to the road.

Want to have a discussiona about abortion without the 'religious right' tenets running the show?
'Euthanasia on compassionate grounds' ever going to get discussed without DEATH PANELS shouted from the cheap seats?
Gay rights issue, either through marriage or in the military, being entertained as a diversification of thought?

Where in my most recent post did I say anything about your NOT liking the US? I'd ask you to bold it, but I know you won't find it. You had claimed your affection for the country in YOUR previous post, so I believed you.

There is no need to educate me on Canada's immigrant population. I'm a child of immigrants, and my immigrant family has always gotten a kick out of how highly sensitive and easily offended some Canadians are (I come from pretty feisty, fiery stock). You're a good example of that kind of Canadian. And it's YOUR clear tendency to become easily offended that I addressed in my last post (re-read it if you must), not any possible dislike you feel toward the US. I KNOW, I KNOW, YOU LOVE THE US! Calm down!

If you're gonna be so easily offended, and so defensive, and so on the ready to prove how much more tolerant and liberal Canada is (see your last 3 paragraphs - I just KNEW you'd go in that direction sooner or later), then perhaps YOU should rethink going every year to a country whose politics and religious and social beliefs you find so intolerant (cuz, like, you're obviously incredibly tolerant). I KNOW, I KNOW, you love the American people, it's just the leadership you oppose.

Yes, there IS more diversity of thought in the US than in Canada. By "diversity," I don't necessarily mean "acceptable" or "tolerant" or "inclusive" or even "mainstream." I mean just what any dictionary says it means: "the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas; variety."

So, there are very right-wing beliefs in the US (like those you gleefully scorned in your last post), there are very left-wing beliefs, and there's everything in between. And there is a LOT of in-between. Contrary to your assertion that in the US, "it's either black or white (or red or blue) without any room for grey in there at all," there is PLENTY of ideological "gray" in the US, and the vast majority of Americans subscribe to beliefs within that "gray" area.

Because of that diversity of thought, one's tolerance and open-mindedness will often be put to the test, because one will regularly encounter ideas and opinions diametrically opposed to one's own. There are worldviews in the US that simply don't exist in Canada, and in the years I've been in the US, I've had to learn to be more adaptable in a way that Canada never demanded of me.

Perhaps, for example, I don't support a contemporary interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. Nevertheless, I have to accept that there are plenty of very good people - some of whom I respect and care about very much and want in my life - who do. Heck, I have family in the US who are fervent believers in the 2nd Amendment. Should I complain about them, criticize them, call them names, ridicule them? Or just maybe, should I at least TRY to understand their viewpoint? In Canada, I simply would not be faced with that dilemma, so my tolerance or my ability to adapt to and respect an opinion that I struggle with, would never be tested in the same way.

I strongly believe in gay rights and same-sex marriage, but I think anyone should have the right to respectfully express and opinion that could be interpreted otherwise. I do not favor combatting discrimination with discrimination. That is something I have learned in the US.

Am I suggesting that you "strike off a country" just because you "dislike hearing a few nutjobs spouting crap about your home country"? Um, no. I'm suggesting that if , every year, you're going to choose, on your own volition, to come and stay for six months in a country you KNOW has "nutjobs" who publicly express ideas you dislike, then you need to develop a thicker skin. You need, for your own sake (as well as ours) to learn to roll with the punches, so to speak.

Are those politicians advocating annexing Canada? Are they promoting violence against Canadians in any way? No. They're simply expressing an opinion about Canadian health care (or whatever) that YOU don't like.

Therefore, I repeat: if you're going to get all uppity at every perceived slight, then perhaps it's best that you remain in Canada year-round (or at least to avoid the US). That way, your Canadian sensibilities won't be offended.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-07-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Where in my most recent post did I say anything about your NOT liking the US? I'd ask you to bold it, but I know you won't find it. You had claimed your affection for the country in YOUR previous post, so I believed you.

There is no need to educate me on Canada's immigrant population. I'm a child of immigrants, and my immigrant family has always gotten a kick out of how highly sensitive and easily offended some Canadians are (I come from pretty feisty, fiery stock). You're a good example of that kind of Canadian. And it's YOUR clear tendency to become easily offended that I addressed in my last post (re-read it if you must), not any possible dislike you feel toward the US. I KNOW, I KNOW, YOU LOVE THE US! Calm down!

If you're gonna be so easily offended, and so defensive, and so on the ready to prove how much more tolerant and liberal Canada is (see your last 3 paragraphs - I just KNEW you'd go in that direction sooner or later), then perhaps YOU should rethink going every year to a country whose politics and religious and social beliefs you find so intolerant (cuz, like, you're obviously incredibly tolerant). I KNOW, I KNOW, you love the American people, it's just the leadership you oppose.

Yes, there IS more diversity of thought in the US than in Canada. By "diversity," I don't necessarily mean "acceptable" or "tolerant" or "inclusive" or even "mainstream." I mean just what any dictionary says it means: "the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas; variety."

So, there are very right-wing beliefs in the US (like those you gleefully scorned in your last post), there are very left-wing beliefs, and there's everything in between. And there is a LOT of in-between. Contrary to your assertion that in the US, "it's either black or white (or red or blue) without any room for grey in there at all," there is PLENTY of ideological "gray" in the US, and the vast majority of Americans subscribe to beliefs within that "gray" area.

Because of that diversity of thought, one's tolerance and open-mindedness will often be put to the test, because one will regularly encounter ideas and opinions diametrically opposed to one's own. There are worldviews in the US that simply don't exist in Canada, and in the years I've been in the US, I've had to learn to be more adaptable in a way that Canada never demanded of me.

Perhaps, for example, I don't support a contemporary interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. Nevertheless, I have to accept that there are plenty of very good people - some of whom I respect and care about very much and want in my life - who do. Heck, I have family in the US who are fervent believers in the 2nd Amendment. Should I complain about them, criticize them, call them names, ridicule them? Or just maybe, should I at least TRY to understand their viewpoint? In Canada, I simply would not be faced with that dilemma, so my tolerance or my ability to adapt to and respect an opinion that I struggle with, would never be tested in the same way.

I strongly believe in gay rights and same-sex marriage, but I think anyone should have the right to respectfully express and opinion that could be interpreted otherwise. I do not favor combatting discrimination with discrimination. That is something I have learned in the US.

Am I suggesting that you "strike off a country" just because you "dislike hearing a few nutjobs spouting crap about your home country"? Um, no. I'm suggesting that if , every year, you're going to choose, on your own volition, to come and stay for six months in a country you KNOW has "nutjobs" who publicly express ideas you dislike, then you need to develop a thicker skin. You need, for your own sake (as well as ours) to learn to roll with the punches, so to speak.

Are those politicians advocating annexing Canada? Are they promoting violence against Canadians in any way? No. They're simply expressing an opinion about Canadian health care (or whatever) that YOU don't like.

Therefore, I repeat: if you're going to get all uppity at every perceived slight, then perhaps it's best that you remain in Canada year-round (or at least to avoid the US). That way, your Canadian sensibilities won't be offended.

Um, you're not seeing the contradiction in those two bolded portions there......?

Might I ask what spending six months of the year in the U.S. has to do with me not liking hearing talking heads from anywhere in the world diss on Canada? You foks are sure vocal enough about countries like France, for example, but does that negate you visiting Paris because you might still like the city?

If you're going to get all uppity at one Canadian telling you he dislikes your politicians dissing on Canada maybe it's you who should grow a thicker skin, eh? After all, I'm only expressing an opion you don't agree with, am I not? Or are you suggesting I stay out of the U.S. because I'm not a pandering sycophantic toady willing to kiss your ring??

Okie-dokie now that's out of the way, let's move onto those superior "diversity of thought" world views expressed in the U.S. you didn't see in Canada seventeen years ago that Canada did not demand you to consider when you were probably still a teenybopper, care to eludicate which world views those were exactly?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
[/b]

Um, you're not seeing the contradiction in those two bolded portions there......?
a? You foks are sure vocal enough about countries like France, for example, but does that negate you visiting Paris because you might still like the city?
Woh, watch your langauge please.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

Might I ask what spending six months of the year in the U.S. has to do with me not liking hearing talking heads from anywhere in the world diss on Canada? You foks are sure vocal enough about countries like France, for example, but does that negate you visiting Paris because you might still like the city? Or are you merely devolving to the mundane, oft expressed position on here, of suggesting I stay out of the U.S. because I'm not a pandering sycophantic toady willing to kiss your rings??

I'm "getting all uppity and are too sensitive" for expressing an opion you don't agree with? I thought that was the diversity of thought you are so quick to champion? If you're going to get all uppity at one Canadian telling you he dislikes your senior politicians dissing on Canada maybe it's you who should grow a thicker skin, eh?

Okie-dokie now that's out of the way, let's move onto those superior "diversity of thought" world views expressed in the U.S. you didn't see or that Canada did not demand you to consider seventeen years ago when you were probably still a teenybopper.

Would you care to eludicate which world views those would be exactly other than your mentioned 2nd amendment rights, which I'd hardly call a "world view" worthy of the characterization of a higher diversity of thought, but each to their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada