Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 PM

301 posts, read 522,643 times

Advertisements

If America is merged with canada, they would have to join the commonwealth and swear allegiance to the queen.
All those greenbacks, stamps and coins replaced with maple leafs and portraits of Elizabeth the 2nd

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 04-07-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,433,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
If America is merged with canada, they would have to join the commonwealth and swear allegiance to the queen.
All those greenbacks, stamps and coins replaced with maple leafs and portraits of Elizabeth the 2nd
Sounds good to me... and your money is prettier anyways.

Maybe 50 years after the northern states become fully Canadianized provinces, the capital can move to Sarnia too.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,976,310 times

not gonna happen.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,560,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
The northern US needs to join as new provinces into Canada if nothing else than to save the world from reckless US conservative ideology. A western economy led by Bay Street would be infinitely more responsible than one led by Wall Street.
Lol no thank you, most of us can tolerate people who have different beliefs than us.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 AM

43 posts, read 52,836 times
This will always be a subject that people bring up. My answer will always be, what a foolish idea.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:55 PM

131 posts, read 481,231 times
With NAFTA and beyond the border both sides are getting the economic benefits of the merger without giving up the sovereignty. I'd like to see minor tweaking of things, but nothing serious. I'd like to see more incentives for rural border towns to bring things together as one and pull resources.

I'd like a way to apply for short term workpermits online and like to see relaxation of agricultural rules for small quantities of food, e.g. the way US CBP freaks out over the smallest amount of Canadian lamb. Lastly, I think both countries need to relax criminality stuff. Both nations need to tolerate more when dealing with citizens of the other country.

Last edited by stufried; 04-13-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 06:15 PM
pdw

2,716 posts, read 3,130,487 times
I think there's too much economic integration as it is. U.S. produce is now mostly cheaper than local. Factories are shutting down left and right. The American competition and foreign takeovers have been destroying our agricultural and manfucturing industries. Domestic retailers are being overpowered by rich foreign competition, they can't compete. This is what they warned us about, and we didn't listen.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,552,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I think there's too much economic integration as it is. U.S. produce is now mostly cheaper than local. Factories are shutting down left and right. The American competition and foreign takeovers have been destroying our agricultural and manfucturing industries. Domestic retailers are being overpowered by rich foreign competition, they can't compete. This is what they warned us about, and we didn't listen.
Do you mean takeovers in the US are affecting produce in Canada, or just both in general?

Old 04-14-2014, 06:30 AM

131 posts, read 481,231 times
You're dollar was too strong relative to the US dollar. Now that it is a little cheaper, Canada will be more competitive. This is a real difficult mix and balancing act. With a very strong Canadian dollar, people have more spending power, and US travel becomes a great bargain. Yanks stop visiting Canada because everything is so strong. Canadian businesses have better purchasing power of technology and supplies from other countries, but it cost more to sell your products in the world market. Labor costs, however, are strong. In an ideal world a Canadian company would renovate when the Canadian dollar was strong and concentrate on production when the dollar was a little weaker. Things are rarely that easy.

Additionally, your housing bubble has made the costs of housing which has put a strain on Canadian household wallets. It also encouraged people to borrow against their property increasing their debt. Manufacturing jobs are dying everywhere and where new plants are opening, they are far more automated -- employing far less. Apple just brought back some computer manufacturing from China, but one person now supervises tons of robots. The US just got its first major cell phone plant in years (Motorola) but the same story.

In tech, Canada is holding its own. Google and Microsoft just opened major development centers in Canada because of your more liberal visa rules for technically savvy indiivudals. Google, Apple, and others are looking at Kitchener-Waterloo. There is a lot of talent there, a reasonable cost of living, and a hole opened up by the demise of a certain Canadian institution. Microsoft opened up in BC. It is one thing to talk about Canadian owned and produced ketchup, but tech is a global market. Even the US can't go it alone.

There are plenty of new jobs in Canada, but this doesn't really help the 55 year old (30 year veteran) at Heinz in Leamington where he just got a pink slip. The 25 year old in Vancouver or Toronto with top tech skills is a different kettle of fish. Unfortunately, that person has a 40% chance of being an immigrant.

Your natural resources have been a godsend to the Canadian economy, but it needs to be seen as "seed money" for the new Canadian economy. Since the profits largely don't go to Government, it is hard to believe that the beneficiaries of this money will invest the money for growing the Canadian economy. They're more likely to be eyeing the new oil fields off the coast of South America or their next in field investment opportunity.

Canadians are facing some difficult decisions ahead. I follow your upcoming elections and whether you should move to the Liberals and Justin Trudeau or stay with the Conservatives and Prime Minister Harper. I find your upcoming elections fascinating because they sound so much like ours. The Republicans hate NPR; the Conservatives hate CBC. The voter suppression going on in Quebec certainly reminds us of our last election. You've got our scandals (thank you Mike Duffy) and even our crazy over top train wrecks of a corrupt mayor (some Fords don't have better ideas).

It is tempting to long for the "good old days," but they are rarely as good as they seem. Canada is growing, evolving, and becoming a major player on the international stage. Your country is now an immigrant country and is intentionally trying to grow your population base. One of the interesting secrets is that we are one of the largest immigrant groups in the other country. Think about the number of Canadians in the US and now it is moving the other way. There are now more than 2 million Yanks living in Canada.

Last edited by stufried; 04-14-2014 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada