Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,740,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Thats not true at all.
Why is everyone lumping ethnic minorities into on group?

My take is that mainland Chinese tend to be quite conservative, whereas people from India and Pakistan less so.These are of course, generalizations.

I mention these two groups since those are the ones I'm most familiar with here in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Thats not true at all. I would say many are just as or even more conservative.
Here is when the threads like this get into what is a conservative in Canada as compared to a conservative in the U.S.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,508,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Why is everyone lumping ethnic minorities into on group?

My take is that mainland Chinese tend to be quite conservative, whereas people from India and Pakistan less so.These are of course, generalizations.

I mention these two groups since those are the ones I'm most familiar with here in Vancouver.
No one is lumping ethnic minorites into one group. I was responding to some ones comment. Yes, there are some very conservative people in Canada (why is that so hard to accept). And many Minorities are very conserative. I doubt Indians, specially punjabis are less conservative than Chinese.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Here is when the threads like this get into what is a conservative in Canada as compared to a conservative in the U.S.

I never even mentioned the U.S. I was responding to some one, whats your problem?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:41 PM

26,948 posts, read 38,395,274 times
Quote:
Thats not true at all. I would say many are just as or even more conservative.
I think you're right, but I don't think it's about Canada vs. U.S.

A family moving from country X to Canada or the U.S. is not going to become less conservative overnight simply because they moved to Canada as opposed to the U.S. They come with their values and they will keep them.

Those conservative values will persist in that family probably for as long as the people who were born in the old country are alive, and maybe even a bit longer.

It's only after a generation or more in the new country that the new country's values will start to rub off on people and influence them to a significant degree.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I never even mentioned the U.S. I was responding to some one, whats your problem?
I was responding to post #4 and post #8.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you're right, but I don't think it's about Canada vs. U.S.

A family moving from country X to Canada or the U.S. is not going to become less conservative overnight simply because they moved to Canada as opposed to the U.S. They come with their values and they will keep them.

Those conservative values will persist in that family probably for as long as the people who were born in the old country are alive, and maybe even a bit longer.
Your right acajack I agree its not about Canada vs USA. Mikkeyyc started making that comparison not me, lol. A conservative is conservative where ever you go. And Many immigrants groups in Canada, not all but many (And I Include my own ethnic group in there) can be very conservative both on both social and political issues.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
No one is lumping ethnic minorites into one group. I was responding to some ones comment. Yes, there are some very conservative people in Canada (why is that so hard to accept). And many Minorities are very conserative. I doubt Indians, specially punjabis are less conservative than Chinese.
The OP is for starters " would this be true of Canada too, with ethnic minorities tending to vote more left-wing? Or is it different in Canada?"

Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Your right acajack I agree its not about Canada vs USA. Mikkeyyc started making that comparison not me, lol. A conservative is conservative where ever you go. And Many immigrants groups in Canada, not all but many (And I Include my own ethnic group in there) can be very conservative both on both social and political issues.
No ONE said it was you

The OP should clarify are we talking about newly immigrated Canadians who are part of an ethnic minority, or Canadians that just happen to be an ethnic minority.

The voting habits I'm sure are quite different.

As for a conservative being a conservative I strongly disagree.

http://www.jamesconvey.com/1/post/20...servatism.html

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-th...n-conservatism

Old 04-17-2014, 04:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,749,684 times
Quote:
I would say Harper is a social conservative. His reform party roots speak to that. Is he rabid about it or has he evolved a bit since then? Or perhaps realizing that the vast majority of Canadians are not socially conservative and reopening debates on abortion and equal marriage would spell disaster?

He does have Baird close by, so he at least doesn't seem to fear gay people, or at least puts up with them for his own reasons.

Harper guided by evangelical Alliance Church | The Canadian Political Scene
Whatever his personal feelings, Harper doesn't govern as a social conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada