Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The US would wash over Canada like a tsunami and Canada would cease to exist. Those in Canada, who love Canada do not want that to happen.
It sounds like people from the USA talking about an open border with Mexico, or Mexicans talking about an open border with Guatemala.

I do think the dollars fluctuating against each other is a little ridiculous. They should fix the rate so that all countries can draw from a common fiscal market. Each country would still print their own currency.

US$1=BSD$1=BMD$1=CAD$1.104=AUS$1.077=NZ$1.165=BZD$ 2
BSD=Bahamas Dollar
BMD=Bermuda Dollar
BZD=Belize Dollar

If Canadian dollar goes above or below the US dollar it helps some people and hurts others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 12:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
He needs to watch this.. I fall in love every time lol!

Ancient Land, 2 min TV Ad, Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism - YouTube

If I wanna go to a beach i'll take a cheap flight to Cuba but if I wanna fall in love with beauty... give me Canada please!
I love those Newfoundland and Labrador commercials. Very well done.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:02 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It wouldn't work that way. A person has to be a proven citizen of Canada to get social welfare benefits of any kind and the benefits are time limited and highly restrictive even for those Canadian citizens who do qualify. Also - USA already provides its people with way more social welfare benefits than Canada does.

The OP is suggesting that it not work the way it does now. Americans could move to Canada and get housing assistance, health care, subsidsed education, the dole, all without any controls. The people who'd move would be overwhelmingly those who need/draw on such services. With the way it is now people looking to enter and become part of the system are vetted carefully and quotas applied to those who'll become drains on the system (refugees, for example).

Out of interest, what assistance could a forty year old unemployed childless person with over $2000 in assests receive in BC? Because in at least several US states they get $0.

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 04-27-2014 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 01:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
It sounds like people from the USA talking about an open border with Mexico, or Mexicans talking about an open border with Guatemala.

I do think the dollars fluctuating against each other is a little ridiculous. They should fix the rate so that all countries can draw from a common fiscal market. Each country would still print their own currency.

US$1=BSD$1=BMD$1=CAD$1.104=AUS$1.077=NZ$1.165=BZD$ 2
BSD=Bahamas Dollar
BMD=Bermuda Dollar
BZD=Belize Dollar

If Canadian dollar goes above or below the US dollar it helps some people and hurts others.
I'm no economist, but it sounds like a bad idea. What would be the point of countries printing their own currency if we were all tied to one value? It sounds like the smaller players like Canada, would lose the ability to set their own fiscal policies.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:21 PM

32 posts, read 49,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's very nice of you to want to share your millions upon millions of illegals with us, but I'm afraid we're going to have to respectfully decline.
Again, a bit of an exaggeration. You don't see millions of illegals moving to Minneapolis or Boston, do you? Not to mention that as it stands your businesses have no issue hiring tons of workers from less developed countries anyway (McDonald's accused of favouring foreign workers - British Columbia - CBC News).

Old 04-27-2014, 01:23 PM

32 posts, read 49,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
The OP is suggesting that it not work the way it does now. Americans could move to Canada and get housing assistance, health care, subsidsed education, the dole, all without any controls.
No, I was suggesting that the US and Canada have the same type of relationship as the UK and Ireland. I don't believe that UK citizens would automatically get housing assistance, health care, subsidsed education, the dole, all without any controls if they moved to Ireland.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:27 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I find it odd that he'd be posting pics of the Sierra Nevada Mountains or White Sands NM as if that is some sort of spectacular scenery that Canada is lacking. Heck Gros Morn and Torngat alone destroy the scenery in those places... easily.. Aside from that, Canadians are also a less insular bunch when It comes to travelling, a larger percentage of us hold passports so many countries benefit from our tourism.
LOL.

Canadians so often use comparative rates of passport ownership as yet another criterion to confirm that they're more sophisticated than Americans. The truth, though, is that most Canadians aren't out there exploring remote corners of the globe. No, the VAST MAJORITY of Canadians use those highly-touted Canadian passports to cross the Cdn-US border to travel to all the same destinations that "unsophisticated" Americans travel to: Florida, Arizona, South Carolina, California, etc.

Of course, the most intrepid Canadians will also put those passports to good use when they cross the border to buy milk, butter, gas, Chinese-made electronics, or, as my family in Ontario does, to board flights in Buffalo to go to those same U.S. destinations. In order to enjoy those patterns of travel, consumerism and retirement, yes, Canadians need passports; Americans don't.

And though they may travel south every year, most Canadians do little travelling IN Canada. I'd go as far to say that most Canadians have barely been outside of their home provinces. I notice that you live in Toronto. But since you alluded to a couple of National Parks in Newfoundland, I gonna guess that Nfld is your home province, because I'll bet that the overwhelmingly majority of Canadians have never been to Nfld. As beautiful as it is, most have never even thought to go there. Heck, most have never seen the nation's capital, historic Quebec City, or the glorious Rockies.

Years ago, before we left Canada, I worked for a couple of years at CAA. Even at the height of summer, when you would THINK that Canadians would want to go out and see another part of their own country, even then, most trips we planned for members were, by a HUGE margin, to the US.

So, don't make it sound as though Canadians, en masse, are exploring Paris, Madagascar, and the Ivory Coast (using their excellent French language skills, of course), while Americans chow down on beer and wings in Orlando. Please.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-27-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 01:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
LOL.

Canadians so often use comparative rates of passport ownership as yet another criterion to confirm that they're more sophisticated than Americans. The truth, though, is that most Canadians aren't out there exploring remote corners of the globe. No, the VAST MAJORITY of Canadians use those highly-touted Canadian passports to cross the Cdn-US border to travel to all the same destinations that "unsophisticated" Americans travel to: Florida, Arizona, South Carolina, California, etc.

Of course, the most intrepid Canadians will also put those passports to good use when they cross the border to buy milk, butter, gas, Chinese-made electronics, or, as my family in Ontario does, to board flights in Buffalo to go to those same U.S. destinations. In order to enjoy those patterns of travel, consumerism and retirement, yes, Canadians need passports; Americans don't.

And though they may travel south every year, most Canadians do little travelling IN Canada. I'd go as far to say that most Canadians have barely been outside of their home provinces. I notice that you live in Toronto. But since you alluded to a couple of National Parks in Newfoundland, I gonna guess that Nfld is your home province, because I'll bet that the overwhelmingly majority of Canadians have never been to Nfld. As beautiful as it is, most have never even thought to go there. Heck, most have never seen the nation's capital, historic Quebec City, or the glorious Rockies.

Years ago, before we left Canada, I worked for a couple of years at CAA. Even at the height of summer, when you would THINK that Canadians would want to go out and see another part of their own country, even then, most trips we planned for members were, by a HUGE margin, to the US.

So, don't make it sound as though Canadians, en masse, are exploring Paris, Madagascar, and the Ivory Coast (using their excellent French language skills, of course), while Americans chow down on beer and wings in Orlando. Please.
The percentage of Canadians having passports was always much higher, even before 9/11. It is only in recent years that Canadians needed a passport to enter the U.S. ( or an enhanced drivers license that some provinces offer ). Before then we had passports ONLY to venture further afield.

Both countries are huge, so your argument about NFLD is moot. I've met many Americans who haven't even travelled outside of their state, let alone Canada, even if they live a few K's away.

Canadians ARE better travelled than their US counterparts on a percentage basis.

Travel is about more than butter and gas ( I'm NOT a cross border shopper, I wouldn't buy ANY dairy products in the US because of BVG. The cost of non BVG dairy products is about the same as is in Canada anyway ) it's about experiencing other cultures, and on a percentage basis, the U.S. does poorly.
It is a ridiculous excuse to state the reason Americans don't need passports is because they have everything at home, because they don't.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The percentage of Canadians having passports was always much higher, even before 9/11. It is only in recent years that Canadians needed a passport to enter the U.S. ( or an enhanced drivers license that some provinces offer ). Before then we had passports ONLY to venture further afield.

Both countries are huge, so your argument about NFLD is moot. I've met many Americans who haven't even travelled outside of their state, let alone Canada, even if they live a few K's away.

Canadians ARE better travelled than their US counterparts on a percentage basis.

Travel is about more than butter and gas ( I'm NOT a cross border shopper, I wouldn't buy ANY dairy products in the US because of BVG. The cost of non BVG dairy products is about the same as is in Canada anyway ) it's about experiencing other cultures, and on a percentage basis, the U.S. does poorly.
It is a ridiculous excuse to state the reason Americans don't need passports is because they have everything at home, because they don't.
Did I say that travel is about butter and gas? I think ya kinda missed my point. I said that, very often, that's what Canadians use their passports for. Most are NOT travelling abroad (incidentally, when I lived in Canada, I was never a cross-border shopper either. Never understood it, and I still don't).

I also don't make any excuses for low rates of travelling abroad for Americans OR Canadians. I'm a big believer in travel as a great leisure and educational experience. I'm only saying that Americans don't need passports to get to their second homes in Florida in February as Canadians do. And trips to the US comprise the bulk of the travel that most Canadians do.

I've lived in both countries, and I can say unequivocally that Americans are FAR better travelled in the US than Canadians are in Canada. It's a rite of passage for many middle-class families to tour the nation's capital, and I've known countless Americans who've seen most of the country (I've known few Canadians who've been to even a couple of other provinces, let alone most other provinces). Moreover, millions of Americans think nothing of travelling across the country by plane, train, or automobile for the holidays. It wouldn't even occur to most Canadians to do that.

So, no, my point about how little travel Canadians do within Canada (using Nfld as an example) is NOT a moot point.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Did I say that travel is about butter and gas? I think ya kinda missed my point. I said that, very often, that's what Canadians use their passports for. Most are NOT travelling abroad (incidentally, when I lived in Canada, I was never a cross-border shopper either. Never understood it, and I still don't).

I also don't make any excuses for low rates of travelling abroad for Americans OR Canadians. I'm a big believer in travel as a great leisure and educational experience. I'm only saying that Americans don't need passports to get to their second homes in Florida in February as Canadians do. And trips to the US comprise the bulk of the travel that most Canadians do.

I've lived in both countries, and I can say unequivocally that Americans are FAR better travelled in the US than Canadians are in Canada. It's a rite of passage for many middle-class families to tour the nation's capital, and I've known countless Americans who've seen most of the country (I've known few Canadians who've been to even a couple of other provinces, let alone most other provinces). Moreover, millions of Americans think nothing of travelling across the country by plane, train, or automobile for the holidays. It wouldn't even occur to most Canadians to do that.

So, no, my point about how little travel Canadians do within Canada (using Nfld as an example) is NOT a moot point.
Well, let's see. My best friend just got back from Cuba. My other best friend is in Viet Nam. My sister has just recently returned from Spain and my niece just got back from Africa. My nephew is going to Greece right after his exams.
Nobody goes to the US for milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada