Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

Affirmative action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've been unclear from reading stuff whether or not Canada has affirmative action but the Wikipedia says that gender, race and disability can be taken into account for things like hiring, and college admission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:40 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Yes we do.

It's called "employment equity" and usually exists in basically every level of public employment from the federal and provincial and municipal governments to school boards, police, fire departments, etc.

The groups involved are generally women, visible minorities (ie anyone who is not considered white), aboriginals and persons with disabilities.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 PM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeoff View Post
Not really. There's not too many 'black' people in Canada to begin with.
You do realise that when taking gender into account, the biggest beneficiaries of Affirmative Action are White women, who generally date and marry White men? Meaning that ultimately, affirmative action results in greater financial opportunities for White families as a whole?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
I believe this post stems from the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that has upheld a Michigan ban on affirmative action in higher education.

I think all Canadian universities practice some form of affirmative action. I know that University of Toronto, Canada's largest university, gives some admission preferences based on gender, aboriginal status, minority status, and even family income/ background.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
"Purpose of Act

2. The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfilment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities by giving effect to the principle that employment equity means more than treating persons in the same way but also requires special measures and the accommodation of differences."

The part about " to correct conditions of disadvantage " means what? I don't believe there are quota's etc. I have never heard of a company being forced to choose a woman over a man with equal qualifications. I'm assuming this act is for redress, rather than hiring practices??

Edit: That's not to say business, etc don't do it because of awareness of the act.
Anyone????

Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"Purpose of Act

2. The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfilment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities by giving effect to the principle that employment equity means more than treating persons in the same way but also requires special measures and the accommodation of differences."

The part about " to correct conditions of disadvantage " means what? I don't believe there are quota's etc. I have never heard of a company being forced to choose a woman over a man with equal qualifications. I'm assuming this act is for redress, rather than hiring practices??

Edit: That's not to say business, etc don't do it because of awareness of the act.
Anyone????
For example take: ....conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women ....

Conditions of disadvantage could be a result of:
(1) historic discrimination: e.g. women were not allowed to attend universities till 1880
(2) current discrimination: e.g. the belief that hiring women (vs men) may hurt the company financially

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
For example take: ....conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women ....

Conditions of disadvantage could be a result of:
(1) historic discrimination: e.g. women were not allowed to attend universities till 1880
(2) current discrimination: e.g. the belief that hiring women (vs men) may hurt the company financially
Yes I understand that bit. My question is about the power of enforcement PRIOR to hiring. Are there quota's? Do companies and organizations have to have a minimum amount of minorities etc.

Or, is this act intended for people who feel they have been wronged in a hiring process?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,093,689 times
I don't understand the opposition to employment equity. Certain minority groups are at a clear societal disadvantage, and our government more often than not throws their communities under the bus. We should be doing more to eliminate the causes of this inequality, and this is one of the best ways.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes I understand that bit. My question is about the power of enforcement PRIOR to hiring. Are there quota's? Do companies and organizations have to have a minimum amount of minorities etc.

Or, is this act intended for people who feel they have been wronged in a hiring process?
I am not aware of any quotas.

There are recommendations for employment equality that companies are asked to follow.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I don't understand the opposition to employment equity. Certain minority groups are at a clear societal disadvantage, and our government more often than not throws their communities under the bus. We should be doing more to eliminate the causes of this inequality, and this is one of the best ways.
Much of the arguments against "employment equity" say that it is an outdated policy and not applicable in the modern world.

In modern Canada, should a woman be really be hired over an equally qualified man, based purely on gender?

Should you receive preferences because you are 1/4th aboriginal or of some minority race?

Should a second generation immigrant student be admitted to medical school over an equally qualified white male ..... only because of family history and race?

..... it is not all black and white .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada