Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:14 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
And I don't say a word when someone attributes something or the other to God, even when it seems, even to me, as a believer in God, that there is no particular evidence of God's involvement. I take it that they are confiding in me as a friend. So I listen as a friend.
I've had people far more religious than I am ask for evidence or an explanation of my reasoning when I've attributed things to God. The moral of the story for me is that it should always be OK to talk about things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I've had people far more religious than I am ask for evidence or an explanation of my reasoning when I've attributed things to God. The moral of the story for me is that it should always be OK to talk about things.
There must be regional differences because 1) I can't imagine discussing something I attribute to God with other people - it would be very private and personal to me. And 2) I can't imagine anyone asking me about it if I did.

I don't think it should always be okay to talk about things. Some people aren't comfortable talking about private things and I wouldn't appreciate or find it polite should an atheist or a Christian or a anything religious decide it was their duty to enlighten me by explaining to me the error of my ways unless for some reason, I asked them to. Neither would I share my views except under very limited circumstances and again, if someone wanted to know about my views, but not if they only wanted to know my views in order to tell me how much more enlightened they were.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:57 AM
pdw

I agree with you there, no one wants someone else's beliefs shoved down their throats. When someone shows interest in a religious topic, I always enjoy discussing it, though.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
There must be regional differences because 1) I can't imagine discussing something I attribute to God with other people - it would be very private and personal to me. And 2) I can't imagine anyone asking me about it if I did.

I don't think it should always be okay to talk about things. Some people aren't comfortable talking about private things and I wouldn't appreciate or find it polite should an atheist or a Christian or a anything religious decide it was their duty to enlighten me by explaining to me the error of my ways unless for some reason, I asked them to. Neither would I share my views except under very limited circumstances and again, if someone wanted to know about my views, but not if they only wanted to know my views in order to tell me how much more enlightened they were.
I very much agree with this.. As long as Canada remains a secular state and has the wisdom to separate any church and any religion from state than we'll be ok!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:20 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I agree with you there, no one wants someone else's beliefs shoved down their throats. When someone shows interest in a religious topic, I always enjoy discussing it, though.
For me I separate spirituality from religion. I'm actually not an Athiest, I am definitely agnostic and while I don't mind discussing spiritual matters with religious folk, I sometimes find it annoying that some people feel that you have to subscribe to organized religion to be spiritual or have a relationship/potential relationship with god. Religion does not own god.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:41 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
For me I separate spirituality from religion. I'm actually not an Athiest, I am definitely agnostic and while I don't mind discussing spiritual matters with religious folk, I sometimes find it annoying that some people feel that you have to subscribe to organized religion to be spiritual or have a relationship/potential relationship with god. Religion does not own god.
BINGO! Cannot rep you enough.

Taking yourself out to the back forty pasture and sitting under a 150 year old oak your grandfather didn't have the heart to cut down, communing with nature for an afternoon is 'worshipping' in the truest sense of the word.

Sitting in the eighth pew from the front listening to a mere man's interpretation of some obscure scripture written by another mere man, then ascribing to that interpretation a value above that of mere opinion, is simply a kinder gentler form of cultism I have come to abhor given all of the egregious acts committed in the name of, or at the behest of some of those mere men's influence over others.

Were there a supreme being; I'm quite sure he/she/it would scoff at the idea that we live our lives enthralled with his/her/its giving a rats azz whether we glorify he/she/it by worshipping in a building, wearing robes, carrying a cross, sprinkling water, burning incense, eating a dry cardboard wafer or drinking wine from a common chalice or......whatever.

How we treat each other is as far as it should or does go for me.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:48 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
What's even more annoying is that some people feel you have no morals if you don"t have a relationship with God.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What's even more annoying is that some people feel you have no morals if you don"t have a relationship with God.
This is true, and it pops up now and again. I wonder though how prevalent this is in Canada on a day to day interaction basis.
There are a few ultra conservative religious people who I'm sure think I"m going to hell, but they have never said this to me personally.
Is it just because they are aware that in Canada it just doesn't fly for the most part and they wouldn't get much support?
Even Harpo the PM doesn't want to open up the abortion debate ( thank goodness, I was going say "thank god" but….lol ) not because he personally agrees with it but because??? I used to say it would be political suicide, but he has done so many things that are political suicide that I'm not so sure I understand his thinking on that issue.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:04 PM
pdw

I feel that due to our general live and let live attitude towards religion, many secularised Canadians have a warped view of religion that stems from America media. They're retaliating against something that does not really exist here. Canadian Christians generally have much more in common spiritually with Europeans than Americans.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:26 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is true, and it pops up now and again. I wonder though how prevalent this is in Canada on a day to day interaction basis.
There are a few ultra conservative religious people who I'm sure think I"m going to hell, but they have never said this to me personally.
Is it just because they are aware that in Canada it just doesn't fly for the most part and they wouldn't get much support?
Even Harpo the PM doesn't want to open up the abortion debate ( thank goodness, I was going say "thank god" but….lol ) not because he personally agrees with it but because??? I used to say it would be political suicide, but he has done so many things that are political suicide that I'm not so sure I understand his thinking on that issue.
I think Harper doesn't want to open the abortion debate because its political suicide for him and maybe personal as well among his personal church friends from back home. Another abortion debate would be pretty much like it is here on the internet. It never helps either cause but only causes hard feelings.

If Harper supported an abortion law, no matter how liberal that abortion law was, he'd have pro-choice people up in arms. If he supported tight abortion laws, his religious constituency up in arms. There's just no winning. And either way he'd be forced to publicly state his views and no one would like that, least of all, Harper himself. I don't think he wants to commit himself. To be a politician you have to be slippery to squeeze past all those tight spots.

Psst: speaking of people thinking other people are going to hell, I think my hay man thinks I am. He keeps inviting me to church although he hasn't come right out and said he thinks I am going to hell. I don't go to church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada