Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:53 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Brusan, it was quite the interesting series of events leading up to the passage of the legislation, but on the ground in real life, it was much less sensationalized than what you saw on TV.

Does it sound bad if I say I'd rather they not understand the legislation? The less they know, the less they will try to f*ck it up. Members of congress are for the most part idiot do nothing's who are there to collect a paycheque because they cant cut it outside of the protected walls of congress. Give them their TV time, but stay out of the way so we can do the real work is my view.

My work puts me in direct contact with politicians are bureaucrats within the US and outside. Add to that I am a visiting research analyst at a Health Policy think tank based in DC, so that gives me more than enough opportunity in real life to express my opinions, both on and off the record, to our political folks.

Agreed and I enjoyed seeing that "gentleman" get his ass handed to him. If you didnt notice, I questioned his knowledge as well. But that in no way excuses spouting ignorance in response. When I do not have complete knowledge of a topic, I keep my f*cking mouth shut. It has served me well throughout my life.
Appreciate your position and understand your rejoinder.

This thread has run it's course through the quagmire of comparison of healthcare to the point that topic should now fade into the background where it should have stayed relative to more important everyday stuff like the overall cost of living, taxation education etc..

Those preoccupied with healthcare are usually those with some history of needing it. I'm hoping most never need more than routine check-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 04:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Hello! I live in the Midwest United States. I've been really considering moving to Canada, and before anyone posts, I am aware that I cannot just up and move to Canada in the blink of an eye. However, I think the long and probably stressful process of becoming a Canadian citizen is worth it now.
In case we forgot to post the obvious link..

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 05-26-2014, 09:29 PM

70 posts, read 135,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I have a different take on our being "reserved".
When I first moved to the US, everywhere I went, salespeople would approach me with massive grins splitting their faces 'Hi! How ARE you? Awesome!! Have a great day!!
It felt really.....fake. I always wondered how they would react if I actually TOLD them how I am. They certainly didn't care to know.
I know it's a small thing, but it really bugged me.
Many, if not all of those salespeople are essentially forced by their employers to greet people in such a way. This is especially true with national chain-based stores and restaurants. It's the corporate leaders enforcing these greetings who think they will make customers feel more welcomed and cared for, but in reality as you stated, many people do find it fake and forced. I myself work for such a company. If I'm caught by management not greeting someone properly, I can actually be written up.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BeautifulDisaster- View Post
Many, if not all of those salespeople are essentially forced by their employers to greet people in such a way. This is especially true with national chain-based stores and restaurants. It's the corporate leaders enforcing these greetings who think they will make customers feel more welcomed and cared for, but in reality as you stated, many people do find it fake and forced. I myself work for such a company. If I'm caught by management not greeting someone properly, I can actually be written up.
But do you have your requisite amount of "flare"?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BeautifulDisaster- View Post
That corporate prerogative should be changed as all it does in insult those who can easily spot the difference between sincerity and superficiality ~ which would be most of us.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM

70 posts, read 135,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
But do you have your requisite amount of "flare"?
No. I don't employ the big, wide open mouth smile like some of the people you may have seen. Lol. One could say I smile Ă  la Mona Lisa.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 PM

372 posts, read 599,246 times
I'd really love to go to school in Canada. But I already enrolled in a 2 year community college here in U.S. If I do two years of school in the U.S, will it be harder to transfer to a Canadian university than if I would have applied right out of high school? It would be a study permit I'd also have to get correct?

Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM

342 posts, read 510,841 times
Omatic you have idealized image of Canada. Like you said youve never been there and you only are interested in us for your own problems going in America. If you dont like America you wont like Canada. The culture is extremely similar but in Canada everything costs more but you get less back and people are less friendly. The weather uniformly sucks and people sweep serious issues like racism under the carpet. Many people are narrowminded and not intolerant of those who disagree with their views (the opposite of what they claim). I used to drink the Canada is #1 kool-aid too but then I lived in the US for a while and saw how ignorant I was being and how it is all bs. If you dont like the USA you wont like Canada either. Canada is still a great country compared to most and I am thankful to be born there but compared to the USA it doesnt offer much more. And all the crazy incidents you are talking about happen in Canada too trust me. Sadly we have school shootings and cop killers and all those lunatics too. Go walk around Vancouver for a few days outside of the propped up downtown and see all the crazy stuff that happens. If avoiding crazy incidents is how you base your happiness then go move to Iceland or a Pacific island instead of Canada.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Omatic you have idealized image of Canada. Like you said youve never been there and you only are interested in us for your own problems going in America. If you dont like America you wont like Canada. The culture is extremely similar but in Canada everything costs more but you get less back and people are less friendly. The weather uniformly sucks and people sweep serious issues like racism under the carpet. Many people are narrowminded and not intolerant of those who disagree with their views (the opposite of what they claim). I used to drink the Canada is #1 kool-aid too but then I lived in the US for a while and saw how ignorant I was being and how it is all bs. If you dont like the USA you wont like Canada either. Canada is still a great country compared to most and I am thankful to be born there but compared to the USA it doesnt offer much more. And all the crazy incidents you are talking about happen in Canada too trust me. Sadly we have school shootings and cop killers and all those lunatics too. Go walk around Vancouver for a few days outside of the propped up downtown and see all the crazy stuff that happens. If avoiding crazy incidents is how you base your happiness then go move to Iceland or a Pacific island instead of Canada.
Naah; I think moving to Canada would be a step in the right direction for evading those crazy incidents.

Here's another perspective from an American:

After moving here, I think Americans would be happier if they were Canadians - The Globe and Mail

Old 07-02-2014, 03:15 PM

342 posts, read 510,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Naah; I think moving to Canada would be a step in the right direction for evading those crazy incidents.

Here's another perspective from an American:

After moving here, I think Americans would be happier if they were Canadians - The Globe and Mail
Why do you spend six months a year in America then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada