Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:42 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Now; on to my six months in Florida. At least I just visit and spend money with no stated intentions to invade or otherwise harm my hosts or their country.
... this sums it up quite well. You claim that the US poses a greater risk to Canadian sovereignty than Russia. You say that the US is an EVIL REGIME.

But you have no problem with spending 6 months in Florida, on US land, and contributing to the US economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Well I hope Weltschmerz will remember
A southern man don't need her around anyhow!

That's OK. I don't know how to cook squirrels.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's OK. I don't know how to cook squirrels.
....or clean up tobacco juice.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So you have an equation which I'm assuming is

Major historical atrocities

compared to

Current atrocities

equals

Status quo is fine.

Wow.
Basically just saying what we (the world) goes through today is a walk in the park compared to the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
This speaks again to your view that this is somehow a peaceful generation, rather than that warfare has changed as dramatically as the change from spears and arrows to tanks. I somehow don't think that if you were in those countries affected by the drone strikes and other acts of war, that you'd be seeing it the same way.
I would rather have a couple of my relatives killed by drone strikes than my whole city wiped out by a nuclear bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I can maybe understand using the atomic bombs as an example, but the Holocaust? What exactly are you trying to justify?
In todays era you will never see an event like the holocaust happen

Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

I would rather have a couple of my relatives killed by drone strikes than my whole city wiped out by a nuclear bomb.
So magnaminous.

Okay, I think I know what you meant but it really sounds odd the way you said it.

Shouldn't that be you'd prefer to be self-sacrificing and have yourself killed by drone rather than have any of your relatives or your whole city be bombed? Or do you feel that you are not expendable but your relatives are expendable?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:48 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
^^That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
... this sums it up quite well. You claim that the US poses a greater risk to Canadian sovereignty than Russia. You say that the US is an EVIL REGIME.

But you have no problem with spending 6 months in Florida, on US land, and contributing to the US economy.
Well, since the 70s, that has been Canadian thought. Pierre Trudeau said as much years ago. We haven't ever been in my recollection, as anti-Russian as the US. Perhaps it is the French influence in Canada, as the article says Trudeau reflected a typical French-Canadian disregard for the military. Here's an interesting article by a military historian for those who are interested enough to read through it. Canadian Military Journal Vol. 12, No. 1

Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, since the 70s, that has been Canadian thought.
I know plenty of Canadians who would laugh at that thought! The largest trading partner, The most important ally, is also the greatest threat to national security? Laughable!

Russia poses a significant threat to Canadian sovereignty in the North, as was evidenced by Canada's Billion Dollar purchase of ice breaker ships for the Coast Guard to monitor the area.

The Nanos Number: Canadians consider China biggest threat - Politics - CBC News

Please wake up to reality and dont live in the 1970s
The political temperature in the Arctic rose on Tuesday when Vladimir Putin vowed to step up Russia's military presence in the region in response to a claim by Canada to the north pole.
Russia to boost military presence in Arctic as Canada plots north pole claim | World news | The Guardian

Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
We'll call our big brother down south. Russian threat my arse.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:

Yep. as proven by your previous actions regarding Canada, the likes of which we have yet to experience from Russia. To date Russia hasn't released viral agents in any of our major cities.

NO WHERE have I said the U.S. is an EVIL REGIME!

Your government is comprised of an equal number of opportunists, the mildly to wholeheartedly corrupt, to an outright bunch of fugnuts, like many countries............. Canada included.

I love my country but have no illusions as to the capabilities of any government imbued with too much corruption and power. You should try applying that thought process in keeping with all of the supposed superiority we're constantly being reminded of about your vaunted Constitution and the stuff it's supposed to represent and, more importantly, prevent.

I have no illusions as to your country being the great 'white knight' you seem to think it to be.

I totally enjoy spending time and money within the groups of people I have come to know, and think highly of, within your country just as I would probably come to know and respect Russian individuals if I were ever to have the opportunity to get to know them.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
I know plenty of Canadians who would laugh at that thought! The largest trading partner, The most important ally, is also the greatest threat to national security? Laughable!

Russia poses a significant threat to Canadian sovereignty in the North, as was evidenced by Canada's Billion Dollar purchase of ice breaker ships for the Coast Guard to monitor the area.

The Nanos Number: Canadians consider China biggest threat - Politics - CBC News

Please wake up to reality and dont live in the 1970s
The political temperature in the Arctic rose on Tuesday when Vladimir Putin vowed to step up Russia's military presence in the region in response to a claim by Canada to the north pole.
Russia to boost military presence in Arctic as Canada plots north pole claim | World news | The Guardian
Well, subjective experience isn't always factual and the Canadian military historian who wrote the article shares your outrage. But he doesn't deny that it has been so. In fact your first link rates Canadian current concerns at 3.1 percent. Although those numbers appear to have been given before the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I imagine that today they would be higher. The numbers in the US were against Russia by 69%. So as I said, Canadians have never had quite as an antagonistic view of Russia as Americans.

Subjectively speaking, I don't know any Canadians who see Russia as a threat specifically to Canada over the US or ever did see it as more of a threat than Russia. That doesn't mean that we think that Russia is our best friend however. It just means that we see ourselves as being caught in the middle.

ETA: You know that saying about how you always hurt the one you love? The US being our best friend, our biggest trading partner, etc, the people on earth with whom in many ways we have the most in common doesn't prevent you from also being the thing we most fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada