Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:45 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

Why not read up on the Ts and Cs and decide if they would be a good fit for Canada?

Turks and Caicos Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with a poster who said St. Pierre et Miquelon would be a better fit. But those stubborn French gotta have an empire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 04:22 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Why not read up on the Ts and Cs and decide if they would be a good fit for Canada?

Turks and Caicos Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with a poster who said St. Pierre et Miquelon would be a better fit. But those stubborn French gotta have an empire!
and what exactly is the point of having St Pierre and Miquelon, another freezing island without any industry or resources?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
and what exactly is the point of having St Pierre and Miquelon, another freezing island without any industry or resources?
The point was contained right there in his post: "a better fit".

I believe the poster was referring to political, dimplomatic and historical linkage rather than simply a warm beach to lie on.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
the whole arose because T&C expressed their interest in joining Canada. Canada never talks about annexing the Bahamas, or Jamaica, does it?

There is no moral issues surrounding it, and stop being so sanctimonious.

If the tropical island wants and there is not so much negative impact for Canada, why not?
Oh all right, I'll just go back to my cocoa and put my sanctimony on a shelf for now.

You might consider this though:

Officials Deny Considering Making Turks and Caicos Canadian | eCanadaNow

Just a quick question on that and other links I've read on this subject; NOT ONE of them said anything about Ewing being up here to request to be anything other than a tourist destination for Canadians so is it sanctimony I'm displaying when I point out you and others have assumed something not in evidence without considering whether or not the people of the Turks and Caicos would desire it?

What is the word or words to describe the characteristics of jumping to a conclusion before the facts are all public? The assumption that an Island would desire to be wedded with Canada? The ignoring of the fact that Ewing ran for election on a platform of being against annexation by Canada.

You see; all those questions would indicate to even the most obtuse observer there is indeed a moral issue and we haven't even begun talking about the negative impact of an addition of a whole whack of folks gaining eligibility for UHC, welfare, tuition assistance, or many of the other stipends offered by the various provinces.

There must be some descriptor you might like other than "arrogant"; throw it out here and we'll mull it over.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM

342 posts, read 511,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Still butthurt over getting your asses kicked on the Plains of Abraham, eh?
Take your hatred elsewhere.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The point was contained right there in his post: "a better fit".

I believe the poster was referring to political, dimplomatic and historical linkage rather than simply a warm beach to lie on.
but the point is, what does Canada gain by having that island? Does it add any value? Nothing.
if by a better fit you mean a land of nothingness, yes, you are probably right.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
but the point is, what does Canada gain by having that island? Does it add any value? Nothing.
if by a better fit you mean a land of nothingness, yes, you are probably right.
Aaah, botti, that was so cute ~ a land of nothingness.

Ever been to the Saint Pierre-et- Michuelon Isles?

Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 PM

301 posts, read 521,321 times
T&C is a British territory, that's not going to change in this century. Does Canada have a navy to maintain and defend a far away colony?

I think if Canada was to gain any land in the future the most likely and plausible way would be Alaska or Greenland

Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 PM

This is most assuredly not Canada's idea. I believe the first time this was mentioned was when Trudeau was our PM and it was being touted by the T&C Islands petitioning Canada to take them aboard and I hardly think they were considering becoming anybody's colony. Maybe that's what they're trying to shuck?

I wonder why they want to become part of Canada with now making at least two overtures to do so? We've turned them down twice now.

The answer to your question is: no we do not have a navy "to maintain and defend a far away colony". Ours is not and hopefully never used for that purpose as we are not now, nor aspire to be colonizers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada