Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Another thing: a nice fire, the cat curled up on the hearth, a fine whisky, a nice pipe, and a good book; while winter howls outside.
essentially the winter outside you don't have to deal with. Until you run out of grocery and have to go outside after putting on half a ton of clothes.

fail to why any of this can't happen in other seasons. How does howling winter outside make your fine whisky finer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
essentially the winter outside you don't have to deal with. Until you run out of grocery and have to go outside after putting on half a ton of clothes.

fail to why any of this can't happen in other seasons. How does howling winter outside make your fine whisky finer?
You've just proven, there is no poet in you, Botti.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:48 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Botticelli, Florida is not as boring as you think, especially the east coast, ton of things to do.
Yes there are no mountains, compared to California.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM

Winters.
Well Vancouver winters are wet and can be dark. We do get sun of course, but rain is guaranteed.
It mostly doesn't bother me. I can still walk, ride my bike and get fantastic views of various greys rolling in over the ocean.
I find plenty of things to do inside, from swimming to the gym or catching up on old shows…and reading. ( including the internet and city-data of course !! )

I also try and get away for a couple of weeks, or if lucky, a month to some sun. Mexico is preferred. The older I get, and the more time I have to get away, so I will continue do so.
I'm never depressed coming back, although the first day is spent thinking " I was swimming in the ocean this morning..ugh" LOL

As for the winters east of here, I'm sure I'd adapt, but it's not something I'll be seeking out.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:27 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You've just proven, there is no poet in you, Botti.
this shouldn't be intepreted as a nice thing for the winter.
I can understand if people really like cold temperature or winter sports, but drinking whisky while the winter howls outside? that's just absurd.

What about drinking whisky looking at the fall leaves in the garden, or listening to chirping spring birds? If you like winter, at least give some reasons that make some sense.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I can understand if people really like cold temperature or winter sports, but drinking whisky while the winter howls outside? that's just absurd.

What about drinking whisky looking at the fall leaves in the garden, or listening to chirping spring birds? If you like winter, at least give some reasons that make some sense.
You can drink whisky anytime…no rules! However after being out in the bitter cold, coming in, sitting by a fire, sipping whisky is a different enjoyment than sipping whisky by a pool in summer.

You'd know that, if you were the least bit romantic or poetic.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
While one can participate in indoor activities winter or summer the ambiance of a fire in the fireplace is a lot more inviting after a day out in the cold rather than a day spent sweating on a beach..http://www.seedebtrun.com/wp-content...1253128626.jpg

I'll take a rum Toddy

Old 05-30-2014, 07:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

You're always such a ray of sunshine.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I'm not crazy about winter - mostly because of the short day light - but I tolerate it okay because of where I am. If I was living in any other part of Canada I would hate winter. I'll take our rain over the rest of Canada's snow and deep freeze any day and as far as I'm concerned the rain is a blessing. I like the rain.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:01 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Is it?

In the summer, whisky by the pool just doesn't hold the same cachet. Summer is a time for cold beer, gin-and-tonics, and being outdoors. Swimming in the lake, catching up with friends on the deck, playing golf--that's what summer is for. It's almost too easy.

But winter? Winter is cold, bleak, and dark most of the time. Dealing with winter involves parkas, sweaters, touques, scarves. It means shoveling snow. It means driving carefully on the snow and ice, and hoping some other jerk doesn't try something that will have him sideswiping your car. It's brushing the snow off your car every day, scraping the ice off your windshield, and hoping they've plowed the roads between where you are and where you need to be.

So, if I've made the effort to clear the snow from my property, and managed to drive where I need to go, and back, and cleared the snow and ice from my car a few times in a day; then believe you me: that fire is warmer, that book is better, that pipe is nicer, and that whisky is tastier. Even if it may be for just a day, I have conquered winter, and I am safe inside, while winter howls outside. Life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada