Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,195 times

Advertisements

Hi I am about to graduate for a 4 year college in the USA in Accounting field. Its very difficult to settle down here so I decided to move to Canada to do CGA because getting Canadian PR easier than US. please someone tell how long it takes to complete? and is my idea right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,977 times
hello, im an indian graduate (commerce) and an indian company secretary, im interested in moving to canada and so very interested in CPA canada. can anyone tell me that if CPA has enough scope in canada and what are the requirements for the same? am i eligible for CPA CANADA?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM

250 posts, read 642,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinny toor View Post
hello, im an indian graduate (commerce) and an indian company secretary, im interested in moving to canada and so very interested in CPA canada. can anyone tell me that if CPA has enough scope in canada and what are the requirements for the same? am i eligible for CPA CANADA?
Just to clarify. When people talk about a CPA designation, they are usually referring to the American Certified Public Accountant designation.

Canada’s CPA is a Chartered Professional Accountant designation. It doesn’t really exist yet, but it will be the name of the new designation once the three major professional bodies (CA, CGA, and CMA) merge.
Note: The merger was legislated in Quebec already.

Merger discussions are currently underway, though it is difficult to determine progress. Different bodies in different provinces have dropped out of the merger (Alberta CA’s are not taking part) so we can’t be sure how this will end. It feels like the merger will go through eventually, but it may take years.

In the meantime, if you want to be a professional accountant in Canada, you will need to apply for the CGA, CMA or CA programs.

With an undergraduate degree, you will likely be able to apply to any of the designations, though some upgrading may be needed. You will need to have your transcripts evaluated to determine if you have met the prerequisites for admission into the training program. If you are missing courses, these can usually be obtained through part time studies or by enrolling in a bridging program.

You will also need to find suitable employment. All designations require relevant Canadian work experience.

If you have a professional designation from India, you may be able to skip many of the training program requirements. For example, Indian CAs can write the final Canadian CA examination without taking the prerequisite courses.

In summary:
1) It would be difficult, if not impossible to obtain a Canadian accounting designation in India, so a lot of this work will need to take place in Canada.
2) Your undergrad degree will probably be recognized by the professional institute, but you may need to take some additional courses to meet the prerequisites.
3) You will need to find employment as an accountant in Canada. Not all jobs will give you the proper work experience, so you will need to narrow your search for jobs that will help you obtain a professional designation. Fortunately, many employers will pay for your professional designation.
4) Once you have the prerequisites and the right jobs, you can enroll in the training program.

Once you pass the courses, the final exam and get your required hours, you will get the designation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada