Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 58,105 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have done my CPA from the US and wish to apply for Canada Immigration. would like to know what additional requirements are necessary inorder to work in Canada as a CPA..Will my US CPA be recognised? What are my chances of getting a job in the finance sector as a fresher?..

Any place besides the official canadian immigration site where I can find information regarding immigration and Canada CPA...

Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 81,404 times
Default cpa canada

does cpa usa differ from cpa canada

Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 81,404 times
Default cpa canada

do i have to appear for any exam for cpa canada after completing cpa usa?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I believe in Canada they only have CA's and CGA's, not CPA's so you should contact those associations and find out their requirements.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 AM

250 posts, read 642,779 times
Hi guys.

I am currently a CA student. Perhaps I can shed some light on the process.

The previous poster is correct. There are three major accountancy designations in Canada: Certified General Accountant, Chartered Accountant, and Certified Management Accountant. The CPA designation is more like Canada’s CGA or CA than the CMA.

Canadian CAs and American CPA (from most states) have a Mutual Recognition Agreement. This will allow you to obtain a CA without needing to meet the specific university and post university academic requirements. You will also get to skip the UFE (our final 3 day examination), but will have to take the CA Reciprocity Examination instead. It is a 4 hour multiple choice examination that focuses on differences between Canadian and US accounting. Instead of having a heavy focus on audit, you will be tested on Canadian Taxation, Rules of Professional Conduct, and Business Law.

While the standard for CAs is the same throughout Canada, you must apply for the designation through your provincial institute. I have posted some links from the Alberta institute. Lost of information there including past Examinations.
Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRA)
CA Reciprocity Exam
http://www.cica.ca/become-a-ca/documents/item9580.pdf

I am sure you can get a job with a CPA in Canada, but I would recommend obtaining a Canadian designation if you plan on working here for any length of time.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
that's what I was thinking, in Canada they're chartered accountants, not certified public accountants..

Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satishmakhijani View Post
do i have to appear for any exam for cpa canada after completing cpa usa?

I certainly hope so considering the 2 countries have markedly different tax laws --- if I'm going to fork out big bucks to someone to keep my company's finances straight, then I'd like some assurance that person knows the laws of the land.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 AM

15 posts, read 77,037 times
I'm facing similar issues right now, I'm about to graduate with a degree in accounting from a university in Georgia and thinking of moving to Vancouver. I have heard all about the CA training course, though one thing I'm wondering is if it's possible to be hired to article with a US Bachelor's degree? Asking this because if I get my US CPA license first I would have to have a year of work experience, and I'd rather be able to go ahead and move without having to do this first.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 PM

18 posts, read 68,506 times
You will definitely have a hard time getting an intern position in Canada if you are a US citizen. Simply because you would have to go through many hoops to actually be able to work in Canada. The Big 4 firms in Canada usually hire from universities across Canada, not the US. Not trying to discourage, but unless you can work in Canada legally, chances don't look so good. And with a US degree, you have to remember that accounting principles are not the same in Canada as in the US. So what you may have learned in the States may very well not be the same as in Canada. ie: IFRS, lack of SOX, etc. Lastly, the CA program usually requires two years of work experience before you can go for it.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 39,717 times
hi guys,
I have done a bachelors in international business in Africa and I am thinking of moving abroad. In terms of canada. what would be better to pursue a CMA or CA? what is the difference from CPA?
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada