Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quite true but this was more out of strategy and realpolitik than it was out of generosity of spirit.
Do you only read half my posts?

The reason they did it was because they had to. The French would have left, and there would be no settlement at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 02:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I BC we rarely heard about Quebec other than some talk of seperation. But aren't they justified considering they were the original Canadians? They were oppressed for centuries and still yet are still HATED by most Canadians. Most people dont even know or care to know French, yet claim to know about the Quebecois. Well maybe they are unhappy because of this attitude! I know I wouldnt like it if someone took over my country and colonized it and and treated me like dirt?

Thats why I think we should give more back to Quebec. Instead of stereotyping them and hating them we should give them more money to jump start their economy. They are our Canadian brothers and sisters and deserve better treatment. Maybe if we stop hating them all learn French and start helping them, we can build a better Canada. This is a topic that needs to be discussed more by Canadians. This isn't even factoring in the First Nations who are treated much better in the US, but that topic is for another thread.

What do you think? Should we help the Quebecois more?
The last i heard it was the separatist element of Quebec that wanted to leave Canada and form their own country and to this lot you want to get all warm and fuzzy and give them lots of love and money and dream of Canada becoming all French?,If Canadians have any hate for Quebec its for the separatist element and not the francophone in general, in fact from my recent travels across Canada i'd say Canadians dont hate Quebec they just dont care anymore.
So what are you doing to show your love for Quebec?I guess you are fully bilingual, making plans to move to Quebec, dont mind your taxes going to transfer payments to Quebec.
For some one who lives in BC and rarely hears about Quebec you certainly have built up a litany of preconceived ideas.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
I'm from BC but live in Quebec.

Truthfully, your ideas come off as patronizing. I get it, because you live in BC and are so far removed from the reality of life here, but no.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The last i heard it was the separatist element of Quebec that wanted to leave Canada and form their own country and to this lot you want to get all warm and fuzzy and give them lots of love and money and dream of Canada becoming all French?,If Canadians have any hate for Quebec its for the separatist element and not the francophone in general, in fact from my recent travels across Canada i'd say Canadians dont hate Quebec they just dont care anymore.
So what are you doing to show your love for Quebec?I guess you are fully bilingual, making plans to move to Quebec, dont mind your taxes going to transfer payments to Quebec.
For some one who lives in BC and rarely hears about Quebec you certainly have built up a litany of preconceived ideas.
Did you hear that they lost? Badly?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Did you hear that they lost? Badly?
They havent gone anywhere, they'll be back..

Old 06-11-2014, 02:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:

....... For some one who lives in BC and rarely hears about Quebec you certainly have built up a litany of preconceived ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm from BC but live in Quebec.

Truthfully, your ideas come off as patronizing. I get it, because you live in BC and are so far removed from the reality of life here, but no.

And here's the kicker. He does not live in BC. He's a Canadian but he lives in DC in America. Even more removed from reality.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
And although AJ ascribed "sincerity" to his musings; I don't. This looky-loo shows up now and again to stir the pot in some infantile desire to watch us go for each others throats.

Were I to make a guess; I'd guess there's about as much Canadian in this kid as there is now in Ted Cruz.

You'd think he'd have his "bucket list" more than full with the crazy goings-on in his own dysfunctional neighbourhood without looking back to the north from whence he claims to have originated.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,083 times
Quote:
Honestly I think the majority of Canadians like myself never cared and still don't care if Quebec separated.Which is a good thing because it only makes less tension. Most people care about having a good stable job and being able to take care of their family, not what a province 4000 km away from them wants to do politically. (At least for Western Canada, Ontario it may be different) There is a very high immigrant population in Canada as well and I don't think they care if Quebec separates as Canada isn't there home country anyway. Canadians are also known to be less nationalistic overall and more accepting. I think you only hear about the people who care because they discuss it a lot and the same goes for separatists. Nationalistic Quebecers want to separate, Nationalistic Canadians want to stop them, and most fall in the middle and don't care too much or at least want things to stay as they are. Like most people I'd much prefer if Canada were united and kept the same land that we have. I also love that Canada is bilingual and has a lot of culture thanks to Quebec. But I wouldn't care or be outraged if Quebec separated either. I think Quebecers would be more impacted as they would get affected negatively economically. But it wouldn't really affect Western Canada at all.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,309 times
I don't know anybody who hates Quebec. Christ, people love gushing about their trips to Montreal around here.

I do know people who get sick of the seperatist bs and the old "I'm not Canadian, I'm Quebecois" bull**** from the minority of idiots.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
Even federalists here would consider themselves as Quebecois rather than Canadian. It's not a dig on Canada, its just that they generally don't define themselves as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada