Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
About the land issue, that side probably wants to turn America into Mexico with their nativist land-owning restrictions. (Remember the 50 x 100 km rule?) I thought they disparage Mexico, but then it is an act; a sham.
What do you mean by this? I am curious about Mexico's laws re land ownership. I can't help but think if they allowed foreigners to own land they would have been bought up entirely by the US, Canada, and Britain by now. That is just my observation from vacationing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 AM

103 posts, read 446,953 times
Pre 9-11 and after 9-11 i've never had a problem getting into Canada through detroit or maine. Getting back into the US is another story. If you tell US customs you are vacationing or shopping, they wave you through. If you tell them you are a citizen, they send the probe in. It's all a farce, as the southern borders are being breached by millions. There is an invasion going on, but it isn't from the northern border.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarketSlave View Post
If you tell US customs you are vacationing or shopping, they wave you through. If you tell them you are a citizen, they send the probe in.
It's all about the money. So what are those thugs good for again? Are they like those overweight, good-for-nothing Chicago cops? We all know that you have to present yourself as a citizen once you re-enter your country. So how do we avoid this intimidation?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 AM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Yeah that is so true. Just ask the Indians, they should know.
Right on ... just ask the native americans

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,772 times
Default Americans are also free to buy Canadian housing

Sorry, my friend, but you're wrong about Canadian restrictions on Americans buying land/houses in Canada.
In all but Canada's tiniest province, there aren't restrictions. For example, where our cottage is in southern Ontario, we have quite a number of neighbours from Michigan who are are quite welcome to come and go as they please -- buying when the real estate and currency conditions are favourable -- and selling when they're not. There are no land transfer or property tax issues that would affect an American any differently than a Canadian.
I understand your frustration with some of the restrictions you've found with businesses that restrict who they deal with. That's quite crappy. You might be surprised to hear that Canadian consumers have recently encountered corresponding restrictions in the U.S. Even with the Canadian dollar basically at par with the U.S. dollar, many autos are priced thousands of dollars cheaper in the States. And when Canadians cross the border to buy a car and save money, the American car dealers won't sell to them. (And some of the cars are made in Canada!) Weird, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada