Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,416 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning to immigrate to Canada within the next few years. I am a US citizen, married to a Canadian citizen, living in the US. I am also an Registered Nurse. So I have 2 options for immigration: family sponsorship or skilled worker class. I am wondering which would be the fastest and easiest route? For family sponsorship, it seems like my husband would already have to be living in Canada without me before I could move there as well -- is that really the case? Just wondering which route I should go. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 05:59 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,153,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyc1987 View Post
Hello, I am planning to immigrate to Canada within the next few years. I am a US citizen, married to a Canadian citizen, living in the US. I am also an Registered Nurse. So I have 2 options for immigration: family sponsorship or skilled worker class. I am wondering which would be the fastest and easiest route? For family sponsorship, it seems like my husband would already have to be living in Canada without me before I could move there as well -- is that really the case? Just wondering which route I should go. Thanks in advance!
I think, family sponsorship is both a faster and an easier route.

As far as I understand, your husband don't need to be living in Canada before you move if he can show the intend to move: Looking for a job in Canada, looking for a place to live in Canada and so on.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2014, 09:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,376,710 times
Family sponsorship.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,462,626 times
Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class

I wouldn't jump to family sponsorship as fast. Read over the forms - the sponsor himself will have hurdles proving that he would be able to support himself in Canada if he is not currently residing in Canada - not even speaking of another person who he wants to sponsor. Read over the Sponsor Questionnaire.

Sponsorship, to immigration, means the sponsor should show years worth of documented paycheques in Canada or Canadian tax returns that the immigration would deem satisfactory enough to support 2 people. They are really indifferent to how many rupies, yuanes, or US dollars he is currently receiving.

Last edited by nuala; 06-24-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,376,710 times
If she's moving to Canada without her husband, and with no firm plans of when or how he will be returning to Canada himself -- then he probably can't sponsor her as family class while he's out of the country. Good point.

One thing that gives me pause, is to wonder what would happen if she came to Canada through the skilled worker class, then afterward applied for citizenship -- would she not be expected to go through the family sponsorship? How would that complicate things?
====
Edited to add: Info from the CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/3900ETOC.asp
If I live outside Canada, may I sponsor?
If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Last edited by Ottawa2011; 06-25-2014 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: cic website

Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,416 times
Thanks for your input. To clarify, we would be moving together as a family, he would not be staying behind in the US without me. I doubt he would have a job lined up before we moved though -- although we would have savings from the sale of our house -- so that might be an issue for sponsorship. Maybe given that, skilled worker visa might be the better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada