Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:07 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Molson's in the baptismal font?
It depends on which sect. It could be Canadian, Blue or Clamato. Taps will be installed accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:48 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
Is there any where else in the world where people actually drink beer mixed with tomato juice ?

Or put salt in their beer on a hot day, when the beer parlour opens up ? The Champlain Hotel in Orillia comes to mind.

Beer so cold that it gives you a head ache, on a Monday, after the kegs have been silent, since Saturday night ? Small town Ontario, memories of the sixties.....

Some Canadian Police officers still refer to a after work gathering, as a "church service ". Bottle openers were known as a "church key " in my youth. If you had one on your key ring, you were a "hood ". Along with Carhart black jeans and a 20 pack of Players plains rolled into the sleeve of your white T shirt.

Stylish in 64.

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I'm trying to get the New Hampshire State Liquor Stores to stock Screech.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I spent two weeks in Wawa, one afternoon.

The area around Wawa is very beautiful. I love the ride along Lake Superior through that region. I used to live in Upper Michigan, and would cross the border and drive up that far. Some times I would try and get as far back in the back country as I could, and there are some very remote places up there. The rocky hills, cliffs on the lakeshore and rivers are stunning, it is a part of Ontario that is very blessed with beautiful scenery.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
gregW>

The history of dark rum being associated with Newfoundland is as follows.

Ships loaded with dried and salted cod fish were sent to the Caribbean, to trade for items that could be brought back and sold in the Maritimes. Sugar, molasses, and of course , dark rum were staples of the trade, at that time.

Today, the Newfoundland liquor stores carry screech, but the main buyers are tourists. I can buy it here in Ontario, from the LCBO stores, if I want to. I actually prefer Lamb's Navy Rum, and there is another brand, called "Pusser Rum " that is a accurate recipe for what used to be issued to RN and RCN ship's crews, up till the 1970's, when the practice was done away with.

The bosun's call was " up spirits " at which time the off duty hands ( not on watch ) would gather to be called off by the Officer of the Day, and the Senior Chief would dole out the grog. Grog is rum that has fresh water added to it, so that it cannot be hoarded. It will go "off " if it isn't consumed directly. The watch and quarter bill, showed which men were "wet " and which were "dry '. A man who was a dry was also noted on the watch and quarter bill as a T, for temperance.

Here is a link to a video about the customs and traditions of the rum issue in the RN, in the past. Today, RCN sailors are allowed two beers ONLY, per day, and that is usually at the discretion of the Captain.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...35064683209853

In my time in the Canadian Forces, I remember with some fondness, a stiff drink of rum on a cold night, at some god forsaken place. In the far distant past, the rum came in a three gallon jar, wrapped in straw, to prevent breakage. Hence the nickname. The CO's little boy......Guarded by the Sgt Major , of HQ company.

Jim B. Toronto.

Last edited by canadian citizen; 07-15-2014 at 07:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada