Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times

Advertisements

I've heard of roadway hazards, bur this is something else.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2686765.1403695389...ose-attack.jpg

You won't believe who did this to her. [I do because I've grown up around them]

Read the article and see the video [after the annoying ad] @ Goose attack leaves Ottawa cyclist shaken and scarred - Ottawa - CBC News

Last edited by elnina; 06-28-2014 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: copyrighted picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
The article doesnt mention how much of the womans injuries are actually from the goose and how much was a cause of her falling off her bicycle.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:29 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The article doesnt mention how much of the womans injuries are actually from the goose and how much was a cause of her falling off her bicycle.
I was raised around geese and have been attacked a few times. I think probably the fall did that to her. The facial injuries are likely from doing a face plant into the ground when she fell off the bike. She said the goose attacked her from behind and wrapped its wings forward around her face but if they were brought forward wrapped around her head and face then they couldn't have caused that kind of damage.

If they bite you they grip with their beaks tight like a vice grip and don't let go, then they twist and shake their head rapidly so that the serrations on their beaks will break through skin. They have very powerful neck and jaw muscles so they're capable of twisting their heads really hard and shredding skin. They use the "elbows" of their wings as weapons and are capable of inflicting mighty blows bad enough to break a small bone and cause horrific bruising, but they have to hit from the side or from directly in front to do real damage. Wrapping their wings around a victim from behind the victim is not effective but it can certainly knock somebody down. She's lucky she was wearing her bike helmet or it could have been a lot worse.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
When I lived in Russia, I used to get attacked by geese all the time. They can be really aggressive.
That being said, I agree....those injuries are from an asphalt face-plant.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
I had a friend who owned a motorcycle business and used to store a significant part of his inventory in open sided pole sheds within a fenced enclosure and he was forever losing stuff like mirrors and such to kids hopping the fence. After trying a couple of dogs, he eventually bought a pair of geese and had their wings clipped and that was the end of his problem.

Slipping on the goose poop though was another deal altogether. She doesn't mention if her face plant was into any of that stuff but if it had been, oh brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada