Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well fortunately for the DC-10 it wasn't bullet holes in wings that were the cause of those devastating crashes in the 70's, I believe it was an issue with the cargo door latching mechanism having a defect.. Interesting story though! I'm syre it was a lot of work ensuring there were no structural defects in the wings upon arrival - unbelievable who the heck would shoot at aircraft wings...!

North/South RWY 33/15 but nowadays two north/south RWY's 33L/15R, 33R/15L and there are now 3 East/West RWY's
Wrong engine attachment procedure led to one case of engine detachment during take off. That was corrected quickly once they discovered American Airlines techs were using a short-cut to halve the service down-time by re-installing the engine and pylon as one piece using a modified fork lift truck which resulted in an internal pylon box girder being crush damaged, setting it up for a premature fatiguing failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Wrong engine attachment procedure led to one case of engine detachment during take off. That was corrected quickly once they discovered American Airlines techs were using a short-cut to halve the service down-time by re-installing the engine and pylon as one piece using a modified fork lift truck which resulted in an internal pylon box girder being crush damaged, setting it up for a premature fatiguing failure.
Oh yeah there was that but I was referring to the Turkish crash ouside Paris enroute to London... There was another similar incient with an AA tail just outside Detroit..both had to do with Cargo door latching mechanism defects made by General Dynamics - same company that gave us the F-16.. Both failures led to uncontrolled decompression and damage to hydraulic control mechanisms. The AA pilots were able to land their bird but the Turks weren't so lucky. Anyway your example (Just took off from ORD) and mine were featured on the great Canadian produced series Mayday...love that show!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh yeah there was that but I was referring to the Turkish crash ouside Paris enroute to London... There was another similar incient with an AA tail just outside Detroit..both had to do with Cargo door latching mechanism defects made by General Dynamics - same company that gave us the F-16.. Both failures led to uncontrolled decompression and damage to hydraulic control mechanisms. The AA pilots were able to land their bird but the Turks weren't so lucky. Anyway your example (Just took off from ORD) and mine were featured on the great Canadian produced series Mayday...love that show!
I do remember the cargo door issue with the roll claws not fully engaging and when the door went up it took a lot of the fuselage skin with it in one case.

DC 10's are still in service as freighters and fuel tankers so they must have gotten the major bugs out of the way.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I do remember the cargo door issue with the roll claws not fully engaging and when the door went up it took a lot of the fuselage skin with it in one case.

DC 10's are still in service as freighters and fuel tankers so they must have gotten the major bugs out of the way.
Oh I know about those freighters well They can reach 2000 ft of altitude AGL before the end of the RWY... the successor to the DC-10, the MD-11 still has Pax variants operating and KLM still brings them into YYZ though they will be phased out by year end... but yes the Death Cruiser -10 has long redeemed itself and has a great legacy in Aviation.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Each year about 20,000 Canadians obtain permanent resident status in the United Sates, and only about 10,000 American permanent residents in Canada.

Twice as many Canadians in raw numbers come to America, despite having about 1/10th of the population. That makes Canadians much, much, more likely to emigrate to the US than vice-versa.
It is much harder to immigrate to the US than Canada which skews the numbers as well.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikemike91 View Post
at washington dc's american university i stood in front of an auditorium. I was to present to the room full of exchange students the basics of my country canada. Twenty minutes later, after a lengthy presentation on all that is canadian, i turned to the audience for questions. The first question came from a young french student. "why do you canadians always speak about americans so much?". I explained to her that canadians are often mistaken for americans when traveling abroad and because of this we try to distinguish ourselves. He shot back at me: "but belgians don't obsess over the french. They don't identify as "not-american". I didn't know what to say, but deep down i knew there was something to it. Before that moment i had already come to grips with the fact that there was something different in how we related to americans. I hastily finished my presentation and didn't think much of it.

Later that week, i entered the class about half an hour early to squeeze in some extra reading. Most of the class was already there and we began chatting. The topic turned to to my presentation of canada. This united nations of exchange students began prodding me with questions about canada. An african student asked me why canadians boast so often about themselves. He went on to describe a frighteningly familiar image: An insecure canadian gloating about how canada is more friendly or more peaceful than another country. I explained that these types are a minority and in no way representative of most canadians. Next, an older pakistani man asked why canadians describe canada as free of racism. "in canada" he insisted, "living in canada i was met with more racism than in the united states, the country canadians claim is full of racism". I was taken aback but i knew there was some truth to what he was saying. I responded to him: "how is canada more racist?". He explained to us that in canada there is a smugness that canada has already figured out civilization's problems. "where canadians refuse to admit there is a problem, the americans are already trying to solve it". More questions came, and most of them related to canada's culture (or lack of culture). Only two questions strayed from the general theme. One question was about quebec separatism and the other was about the weather. Thoroughly embarrassed, i left the room to use the ladies room.

That was three years ago. I want to say that this mixed bag of nationalities was an anomaly. But i can't say that. Living outside of canada around people who were neither born in canada nor chose to immigrate to canada has changed my perspective. It seems that canadians have become increasingly rude and boastful over the years. Once known as a mild mannered and meek people, canadians have increasingly become associated with the traits of rudeness, boastfulness, and boorishness. This is the image that many across the world have of canada. The "polite canadian" that we cherish so much is only renowned in canada and the united states. Most foreigners i come across either know nothing about canada, or regard us as the "not americans". The people who bash the americans while propping ourselves up. The people who describe utopia and call it canada. The people who walk around with flags on their backpacks so that everyone knows exactly what country they are from. To my surprise (at the time), it is the americans who who embrace the myth of the "polite canadian", not the rest of the world. Unfortunately the myth of the polite canadian it doesn't exist. I have come to learn that the image of the polite canadian is not a world-wide phenomenon, but a canadian phenomenon. It gives boorish canadians the courage to pat themselves on the back, and in the process embarrass the rest of the country in front of the world. Let's bring back the polite canadian.

Related links:

i'm canadian f*** you!

the ugly canadian mindset

the final showdown of manners

canadians can't be smug about racism

when did you get so smug canada?

what do you think? Are canadians becoming increasingly rude? Is the rude canadian the new canadian?
+10

Old 09-22-2014, 10:55 AM

31 posts, read 36,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
At Washington DC's American University I stood in front of an auditorium. I was to present to the room full of exchange students the basics of my country Canada. Twenty minutes later, after a lengthy presentation on all that is Canadian, I turned to the audience for questions. The first question came from a young French student. "Why do you Canadians always speak about Americans so much?". I explained to her that Canadians are often mistaken for Americans when traveling abroad and because of this we try to distinguish ourselves. He shot back at me: "But Belgians don't obsess over the French. They don't identify as "Not-American". I didn't know what to say, but deep down I knew there was something to it. Before that moment I had already come to grips with the fact that there was something different in how we related to Americans. I hastily finished my presentation and didn't think much of it.

Later that week, I entered the class about half an hour early to squeeze in some extra reading. Most of the class was already there and we began chatting. The topic turned to to my presentation of Canada. This United Nations of exchange students began prodding me with questions about Canada. An African student asked me why Canadians boast so often about themselves. He went on to describe a frighteningly familiar image: An insecure Canadian gloating about how Canada is more friendly or more peaceful than another country. I explained that these types are a minority and in no way representative of most Canadians. Next, an older Pakistani man asked why Canadians describe Canada as free of racism. "In Canada" he insisted, "Living in Canada I was met with more racism than in the United States, the country Canadians claim is full of racism". I was taken aback but I knew there was some truth to what he was saying. I responded to him: "How is Canada more racist?". He explained to us that in Canada there is a smugness that Canada has already figured out civilization's problems. "Where Canadians refuse to admit there is a problem, the Americans are already trying to solve it". More questions came, and most of them related to Canada's culture (or lack of culture). Only two questions strayed from the general theme. One question was about Quebec separatism and the other was about the weather. Thoroughly embarrassed, I left the room to use the ladies room.

That was three years ago. I want to say that this mixed bag of nationalities was an anomaly. But I can't say that. Living outside of Canada around people who were neither born in Canada nor chose to immigrate to Canada has changed my perspective. It seems that Canadians have become increasingly rude and boastful over the years. Once known as a mild mannered and meek people, Canadians have increasingly become associated with the traits of rudeness, boastfulness, and boorishness. This is the image that many across the world have of Canada. The "polite Canadian" that we cherish so much is only renowned in Canada and the United States. Most foreigners I come across either know nothing about Canada, or regard us as the "Not Americans". The people who bash the Americans while propping ourselves up. The people who describe utopia and call it Canada. The people who walk around with flags on their backpacks so that everyone knows exactly what country they are from. To my surprise (at the time), it is the Americans who who embrace the myth of the "Polite Canadian", not the rest of the world. Unfortunately the myth of the Polite Canadian it doesn't exist. I have come to learn that the image of the Polite Canadian is not a world-wide phenomenon, but a Canadian phenomenon. It gives boorish Canadians the courage to pat themselves on the back, and in the process embarrass the rest of the country in front of the world. Let's bring back the Polite Canadian.

Related links:

I'm Canadian F*** You!

The Ugly Canadian Mindset

The Final Showdown of Manners

Canadians Can't Be Smug About Racism

When Did You Get So Smug Canada?

What do you think? Are Canadians becoming increasingly rude? Is The Rude Canadian The New Canadian?
Did the polite Canadian ever exist or was it just an invention to create an identity to go along with the state?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:48 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
Did the polite Canadian ever exist or was it just an invention to create an identity to go along with the state?
Non-Canadians invented it.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
To go along with the state? Not sure what the heck you mean by that.

Canadians got the reputation for being polite, mostly from Americans. Simply a cultural thing where we say please, thank-you and sorry automatically.

It doesn't mean we ARE more polite, we are just more polite sounding to some ears.

This example of course does not apply to every Canadian or every American and age may play a part as well. However for people my age this is common, when asking the time from a stranger.

American: "Do you have the time?" or " What time is it "

Canadian: " Excuse me, sorry to bother you, but do you have the time?" or " Excuse me, do you have the time?"

I'll get slammed for this I"m sure, but remember I said not ALL Canadians and Americans.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
My experience is that Canadians really do seem nicer than Americans and more likely to be up for a chat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada