Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 PM

25 posts, read 24,229 times

Advertisements

My wife is Canadian and I lived in Ontario for over 15 years so I have a good idea of what Im talking about. Canadians have a serious one way competition with the US that Americans don't even notice its happening. I dont know if its because Canadians feel inadequate next to the US or what. They tend to tell everyone how great they are and their country is (which is simply put, a joke) while the rest of the world doesn't even notice. It comes off as rude and low class but Canadians dont even notice this. I think when people say Canadians are "nice" it is a sly insult. Imagine if you call a guy "nice". He isn't the guy making moves and he isn't the guy getting the girl he's just a "nice" guy. The nice guy finishes last.

Before I lived in Canada I had a better image of Canada than after living there. Yes there are many low class whites in Canada. I dont know if it is more than in America but if I had to bet I would say there is. What is low class is that Canadians are constantly trying to compete with Americans and it comes off as childish. Like this thread has shown, many Canadians get their ideas of America from TV (Honey boo boo) and quick trips through the country. Many have a smug attitude that is simply laughable because Canada is overall a mediocre country. I think it is better than most and would rather live there than Mexico or Russia but I think the so called inferiority complex is indicative of feelings of insecurity due to being next to the USA. Almost all of Canada is undesirable due to the climate and I think the average Canadian town is much more provincial and isolated geographically and culturally than the American counterpart.

@ ILikeMike91: My wife lives in the US and spells American style too. When I was in Canada I noticed many Canadians use American spelling and dont notice. I briefly tried using British or "Canadian" spelling when I lived in Canada but it just didnt feel right. And because some Canadians used American spelling for some words I figured I would just use American spelling.

@Fusion2 I dont know why you would want to freeze oil exports to the US just to get Americans to pay attention to you. That sounds like a child seeking attention from its father. If you want Americans to pay attention to you start becoming more innovative or inventive. Start doing things of significance rather than waiting for Americans to come up with new things. Make a new identifiable culture rather than copying Americans. Then the world will notice you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmitty187 View Post
My wife is Canadian and I lived in Ontario for over 15 years so I have a good idea of what Im talking about. Canadians have a serious one way competition with the US that Americans don't even notice its happening. I dont know if its because Canadians feel inadequate next to the US or what. They tend to tell everyone how great they are and their country is (which is simply put, a joke) while the rest of the world doesn't even notice. It comes off as rude and low class but Canadians dont even notice this. I think when people say Canadians are "nice" it is a sly insult. Imagine if you call a guy "nice". He isn't the guy making moves and he isn't the guy getting the girl he's just a "nice" guy. The nice guy finishes last.

Before I lived in Canada I had a better image of Canada than after living there. Yes there are many low class whites in Canada. I dont know if it is more than in America but if I had to bet I would say there is. What is low class is that Canadians are constantly trying to compete with Americans and it comes off as childish. Like this thread has shown, many Canadians get their ideas of America from TV (Honey boo boo) and quick trips through the country. Many have a smug attitude that is simply laughable because Canada is overall a mediocre country. I think it is better than most and would rather live there than Mexico or Russia but I think the so called inferiority complex is indicative of feelings of insecurity due to being next to the USA. Almost all of Canada is undesirable due to the climate and I think the average Canadian town is much more provincial and isolated geographically and culturally than the American counterpart.

@ ILikeMike91: My wife lives in the US and spells American style too. When I was in Canada I noticed many Canadians use American spelling and dont notice. I briefly tried using British or "Canadian" spelling when I lived in Canada but it just didnt feel right. And because some Canadians used American spelling for some words I figured I would just use American spelling.

@Fusion2 I dont know why you would want to freeze oil exports to the US just to get Americans to pay attention to you. That sounds like a child seeking attention from its father. If you want Americans to pay attention to you start becoming more innovative or inventive. Start doing things of significance rather than waiting for Americans to come up with new things. Make a new identifiable culture rather than copying Americans. Then the world will notice you.
Canadians so called competition with the US really isn't a competition. It's been my experience that the topic only comes up when someone from the US brings it up. Some Americans have no idea that they sound like braggarts. My conversations with Americans in Canada, in the US and around the world are mostly pleasant and we get along very well. It's ONLY when an American tells me I'm not free ( re guns, or the fact we don't vote directly for our PM ) that I will react. The ignorance of Canada is fine, but when people start with " we protect you " " Canada is the 51st state " and on and on, well as a Canadian I will defend my country. Also if I believe we do something well, I will definitely say it but only if it's been brought up.
It's not Canadians running around screaming " we are the freest nation on earth " and other such nonsense.
I will repeat though, that the majority of Americans I know and meet, are not that way. I guess I choose not to hang around ' white trash ".

Spelling LOL. My ribbing, was just that, with a bit of " you seem to not only be spelling as an American, but thinking like one as well ". It's not really a biggie.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Canadians so called competition with the US really isn't a competition. It's been my experience that the topic only comes up when someone from the US brings it up. Some Americans have no idea that they sound like braggarts. My conversations with Americans in Canada, in the US and around the world are mostly pleasant and we get along very well. It's ONLY when an American tells me I'm not free ( re guns, or the fact we don't vote directly for our PM ) that I will react. The ignorance of Canada is fine, but when people start with " we protect you " " Canada is the 51st state " and on and on, well as a Canadian I will defend my country. Also if I believe we do something well, I will definitely say it but only if it's been brought up.
It's not Canadians running around screaming " we are the freest nation on earth " and other such nonsense.
I will repeat though, that the majority of Americans I know and meet, are not that way. I guess I choose not to hang around ' white trash ".

Spelling LOL. My ribbing, was just that, with a bit of " you seem to not only be spelling as an American, but thinking like one as well ". It's not really a biggie.
I agree that is stupid when Americans say you arent free or you are the 51st state. I apologize for that.

But Americans generally dont focus on Canadians at all while there is a huge swath of Canadians who focus on Americans constantly and try to "one-up" us. Believe me, I lived there. It might only be an Ontario thing. I mean I can count on one hand the number of times Canada has arisen as a topic in the last two years. When I was in Ontario it was every day someone saying something about the Americans and trying to depict Canada as superior. I never imagined Canada would be like that. Yes, it is very annoying and extremely ignorant. It is simple bigotry that stems from feelings of inadequacy.

I have lived almost half my life in Canda and the rest in the US. Canadians focus on Americans on a whole different level. Americans just dont care about Canada and rarely talk about. There is a silly competition that many Canadians have with the US but Americans dont even realize it.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
I agree that is stupid when Americans say you arent free or you are the 51st state. I apologize for that.

But Americans generally dont focus on Canadians at all while there is a huge swath of Canadians who focus on Americans constantly and try to "one-up" us. Believe me, I lived there. It might only be an Ontario thing. I mean I can count on one hand the number of times Canada has arisen as a topic in the last two years. When I was in Ontario it was every day someone saying something about the Americans and trying to depict Canada as superior. I never imagined Canada would be like that. Yes, it is very annoying and extremely ignorant. It is simple bigotry that stems from feelings of inadequacy.

I have lived almost half my life in Canda and the rest in the US. Canadians focus on Americans on a whole different level. Americans just dont care about Canada and rarely talk about. There is a silly competition that many Canadians have with the US but Americans dont even realize it.
I like your posts and agree with a lot of what you say. It's unfortunate that some Canadians do this.

Overall I do think that Canada is every bit as good a country as the U.S. is, although each country has things it is better at.

Food for thought. This was originally published in Maclean's magazine.

Special Canada Day Report: How Canada stole the American Dream - CARP Canada

Note this was a "Canada Day" special. It's odd how so much of the Canada Day banter (both in the media and around the BBQ) revolves around how Canada does this and that better than States.

Dommage...

Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I like your posts and agree with a lot of what you say. It's unfortunate that some Canadians do this.

Overall I do think that Canada is every bit as good a country as the U.S. is, although each country has things it is better at.

Food for thought. This was originally published in Maclean's magazine.

Special Canada Day Report: How Canada stole the American Dream - CARP Canada

Note this was a "Canada Day" special. It's odd how so much of the Canada Day banter (both in the media and around the BBQ) revolves around how Canada does this and that better than States.

Dommage...
YES that article is EXACTLY what Im talking about!

Another note I made is that Quebecers dont have the same obsession with the US. They have their own rich culture, language and history. They are culturally equal to other countries in all but name because they still only a province and have the Canadian federal government. But I think it is interesting that they dont have this insecurity and have their own identity just like Mexicans or Brazilians dont base their identity on competition with the US.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
YES that article is EXACTLY what Im talking about!

Another note I made is that Quebecers dont have the same obsession with the US. They have their own rich culture, language and history. They are culturally equal to other countries in all but name because they still only a province and have the Canadian federal government. But I think it is interesting that they dont have this insecurity and have their own identity just like Mexicans or Brazilians dont base their identity on competition with the US.
People in Quebec have other hangups, though! But not this one...

Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Oh sorry Im not saying "cheque" or "colour"....I live in the US now and go to school and work here. Its outdated and most native English speakers in the world use American English. Guess what I dont have the stereotypical Canadian accent either.
*Gasp* Shame on you, ILM!

Actually, "cheque" is British spelling, NOT Canadian. Same with "colour," "centre," "labour," analyse," "paralyse," "oestregen, "whilst," "draught," etc. Some of these, Canadians use; for others, they employ American spelling (I guess only a certain number of American spellings are acceptable in the Canadian forums. Beyond that, one runs the risk of being snickered at (another Britishism)).

Though I have British parents and use Brit spellings occasionally, I actually think some of them are kind of pretentious and prefer the American.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:

I'm perfectly aware that Americans don't focus on Canada. However I still say that there is NO inferiority complex in Canada. This is an illusion that seems to exist mainly in the minds of Americans, when Canadians defend, or dare I say, start to talk like Americans in regards to their own country

What you see as competition, I see as a defence against lies told about Canada. The healthcare debate is a prime example.

Are there some blind patriots in Canada? Sure. They exist everywhere, but I would bet that there are more in the US. Just look how blindly people followed Bush and his little war.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
*Gasp* Shame on you, ILM!

Actually, "cheque" is British spelling, NOT Canadian. Same with "colour," "centre," "labour," analyse," "paralyse," "oestregen, "whilst," "draught," etc. Some of these, Canadians use; for others, they employ American spelling (I guess only a certain number of American spellings are acceptable in the Canadian forums. Beyond that, one runs the risk of being snickered at (another Britishism)).

Though I have British parents and use Brit spellings occasionally, I actually think some of them are kind of pretentious and prefer the American.
What about TIRE (Canada/ US) vs TYRE (BRITISH)?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyre...nition&spell=1

Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
What about TIRE (Canada/ US) vs TYRE (BRITISH)?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyre...nition&spell=1
Another American spelling that Canadians use. That one's acceptable, but gawd forbid one use the ghastly "check."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada