Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM

25 posts, read 24,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm perfectly aware that Americans don't focus on Canada. However I still say that there is NO inferiority complex in Canada. This is an illusion that seems to exist mainly in the minds of Americans, when Canadians defend, or dare I say, start to talk like Americans in regards to their own country

What you see as competition, I see as a defence against lies told about Canada. The healthcare debate is a prime example.

Are there some blind patriots in Canada? Sure. They exist everywhere, but I would bet that there are more in the US. Just look how blindly people followed Bush and his little war.
So on one hand you acknowledge that Americans dont focus on Canada, but on the other hand the constant barrage of Canadian inferiority towards Americans is defense against lies? I dont even know what you are talking about when you say the healthcare debate. Canada almost never comes up. Maybe CBC or this forum makes it look like it does, but it doesn't. Americans arent telling lies about Canada, we arent eve talking about Canada. Its funny because when a stupid American politician or a guy on TV says the smallest thing about Canada, it is broadcast on CTV like his ideas are a common theme. The Canadian reaction is incredible and certainly a symptom of an ingrained inferiority complex.

The Anglo Canadian identity is essentially based on comparisons (usually blown out of proportion) with Americans. For every idiot American making a snide comment about Canadians being pansies, there are 50 insecure Canadians bashing about the US. And the Canadians are saying really mean things while most Americans in the rare instance they do talk about Canada say something harmless like you live in igloos. There is something wrong with the Canadian identity that makes them react in such a dramatic insecure way. I mean, it is truly incredible how people talk about the US there and Americans are totally unaware of it. I never in a million years would have guessed Canada was like that. Before living there I never would have imagined that Canadian culturally is basically trying hard not to be American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Let us not forget this historical fact..............Canada has never started a war, ever. But in every war that we have fought in, as Canadians, we won. Never defeated, never retreated. Not a bad record, eh ?

Shall we now look at the US record ? (grin).

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:05 PM

25 posts, read 24,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Let us not forget this historical fact..............Canada has never started a war, ever. But in every war that we have fought in, as Canadians, we won. Never defeated, never retreated. Not a bad record, eh ?

Shall we now look at the US record ? (grin).

Jim B. Toronto.
Err...yeah you got independence in the 1980's. Your geopolitical situation makes it impossible and unnecessary for Canada to start a war. The country is peripheral and a junior ally of the US. You cant claim "Canada never started a war" while also claiming you always won. You are putting Canada together with the British Empire when convenient while also trying to separate it from the atrocities of the British Empire. Typical. If we are to conflate Canada with the British Empire then you guys have invaded almost every country in the world. But of course you conveniently separate Canada from the British Empire when convenient. The British own up to the atrocities they committed across the world, but you try to whitewash your role. Besides...your country itself is based of off the conquest of the Canadian....the Quebecers and the First Nations people. It would be hard to argue that Canada didn't start the Red River Rebellion or the Northwest Rebellion, which it brutally suppressed, with its discriminatory government. The Metis would probably see things differently...

Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmitty187 View Post
I dont even know what you are talking about when you say the healthcare debate. Canada almost never comes up. Maybe CBC or this forum makes it look like it does, but it doesn't. Americans arent telling lies about Canada, we arent eve talking about Canada. Its funny because when a stupid American politician or a guy on TV says the smallest thing about Canada, it is broadcast on CTV like his ideas are a common theme. The Canadian reaction is incredible and certainly a symptom of an ingrained inferiority complex.
Where in the US do you live? I agree with much of the things you said .... but Canada was a major part of the discussion before and immediately after Obamacare.

Fox news aired a lot of negative stories about Canadian healthcare. MSNBC aired positive stories about Canadian healthcare on a regular basis. Canada came up in the debate in Congress. Obama talked about it.
President Obama defended Canada's health care system on Monday, telling a Canadian reporter in Mexico that his country is often used as a "bogeyman" for the debate that has engulfed U.S. reform efforts.

However, the president said he is not looking to duplicate the Canadian model at home.

"I don't find Canadians particularly scary, but I guess some of the opponents of reform think that they make a good bogeyman," Obama said with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper by his side.

"I suspect that you Canadians will continue to get dragged in by those who oppose reform, even though I've said nothing about Canadian health care reform," he told the reporter during a press conference at the North American Leaders Summit.
Here is an example:
Obama: Canadian Health Care Won't Work for America | Fox News

Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Another American spelling that Canadians use. That one's acceptable, but gawd forbid one use the ghastly "check."
lol yes! You know what's funny ..... many Canadians don't even know that tire is spelt as tyre in British English. Obviously, you wont get people to admit that ...

Old 07-07-2014, 05:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Why is it that a Canadian showing love for his/her own country and being proud of its accomplishments mistaken for having an inferiority complex... I still have a hard time reconciling that one..

Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmitty187 View Post

The Anglo Canadian identity is essentially based on comparisons (usually blown out of proportion) with Americans. For every idiot American making a snide comment about Canadians being pansies, there are 50 insecure Canadians bashing about the US. And the Canadians are saying really mean things while most Americans in the rare instance they do talk about Canada say something harmless like you live in igloos. There is something wrong with the Canadian identity that makes them react in such a dramatic insecure way. I mean, it is truly incredible how people talk about the US there and Americans are totally unaware of it. I never in a million years would have guessed Canada was like that. Before living there I never would have imagined that Canadian culturally is basically trying hard not to be American.
The Anglo Canadian identity is based on comparisons with Americans LOL honey get over yourself!!! That isn't even remotely accurate...As for harmless comments about igloos, that is not what 'Americans' talk about in these forums - they speak of invading Canada and nuking us... You are new here Smitty but just wait for the sound of fire and brimstone emanating from American posters mouths...If you look closely you'll see the gunsmoke.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Why is it that a Canadian showing love for his/her own country and being proud of its accomplishments mistaken for having an inferiority complex... I still have a hard time reconciling that one..
Because you are the poster boy for the Canadian inferiority complex?

Only one insecure would mount such an over driven and under proven defense.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Because you are the poster boy for the Canadian inferiority complex?

Only one insecure would mount such an over driven and under proven defense.
Your post reminds me of the Star Trek TNG episode where the Cardassian interrogator keeps telling Captain Picard that there are five lights when there are indeed only four.... His objective is of course to break Picard and control him... Well as Captain Picard finally exclaimed.... There Are Four Lights!

Btw how are those plans working out to acquire Western Canada away from the Evil Eastern Canadian Empire?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Your post reminds me of the Star Trek TNG episode where the Cardassian interrogator keeps telling Captain Picard that there are five lights when there are indeed only four.... His objective is of course to break Picard and control him... Well as Captain Picard finally exclaimed.... There Are Four Lights!

Btw how are those plans working out to acquire Western Canada away from the Evil Eastern Canadian Empire?
Again you always get it backwards. The point was that the Prairies would petition the US to get away from Ontario (Given no Quebec). The US has little fondest for the Dakotas...why on earth would they want a worst frozen version of the same thing? And with the problems of reconciling the Provincial Governments? I doubt it would fly in the US.

And I was also glad to see you learned how to spell Saskatchewan. Probably a first in Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada