Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 02:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't ANYONE here has suggested that all Americans or even a majority think about Canada. I know they don't. However, Canadians don't have these conversations with themselves, we are having them WITH Americans.
The fact that most Americans don't' think about Canada and know so little of it, which in turn produces the ignorant questions, the automatic assumption of superiority ( realize I am not talking about ALL Americans )
to which Canadians will try to inform, stick up for Canada etc.
I don't see this as an Inferiority Complex.
YOu know the USA actually treats some states much worse than Canada. In fact I think it virtually impossible to pin down an "American" viewpoint when it comes to the USA.

Certain regions of Canada get glowing reviews from Americans. Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec, Calgary. It is the rest of the country that vanishes into the mist otherwise reserved for Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Idaho...Moose Jaw? Nanaimo? Saskatoon? You get to be kidding. Then again eastern Canada ain't real hot on these either.

So I am not sure we do more to Canada than treating it like our own. No better and no worse.

And West Virginia has a "inferiority complex" also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't know if I can find the right way to put this, but I think what it boils down to is American Exceptionalism and their fear of its loss. Maybe not with all of them but certainly with many of them and it's those many are the ones that become arrogant and abusive. It's like when that Canadian-raised woman who has become Americanized and Dixiefied now says that USA and its culture are known and consumed and copied in all but the most remote parts of the globe and she wishes it weren't so. She won't (or can't) explain why but she doesn't like America being copied and I wonder how many other Americans don't like it.

Canada comes closer than any other countries do to being most like USA in many ways and I suspect that many Americans might fear that the more Canada (and other countries) become like USA then the less exceptional and superior the USA becomes and the more impotent it will become. What better way is there to maintain the American sense of uniqueness, superiority, potency, elitism and exceptionalism than to denigrate and attempt to demoralize any other country that appears to be matching or even pulling ahead of it? They buck up their own flagging sense of superiority by telling others who are becoming most like them that they're suffering from an inferiority complex.

They'll say demoralizing things like "we don't give you a second thought, we don't ever talk about you, you're invisible to us, you aren't important, you're nothing" and then after thoroughly kicking them to the curb they turn around and say "you have an inferiority complex". (It's interesting to note that these are also the kinds of demoralizing things that impotent angry misogynists, spousal batterers and other domestic abusers and bullies say to their families just before they go ballistic and beat them up to express their virility, their anger and their power over them.)

There's some interesting stuff here about American Exceptionalism: American exceptionalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you're onto something here for sure! Perhaps another way of putting it would be they're developing a ..........dare I say it .........inferiority complex

Old 07-08-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
YOu know the USA actually treats some states much worse than Canada. In fact I think it virtually impossible to pin down an "American" viewpoint when it comes to the USA.

Certain regions of Canada get glowing reviews from Americans. Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec, Calgary. It is the rest of the country that vanishes into the mist otherwise reserved for Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Idaho...Moose Jaw? Nanaimo? Saskatoon? You get to be kidding. Then again eastern Canada ain't real hot on these either.

So I am not sure we do more to Canada than treating it like our own. No better and no worse.

And West Virginia has a "inferiority complex" also.
Dang! That caused a rum and pepsi accident right there. You left out Louisiana though.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM

25 posts, read 24,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Anger? You're interpreting my post characterising you as an insecure little puppy dog attempting to suck up to his/her American hosts by calling you a patronizing putz, as anger motivated?

Goodness me, I thought it no more bellicose than your post accusing someone of embarrassing you by posting something you could feel the butthurt and insecurity oozing through your computer screen.

You don't mind handing out the patronizing crap but when it comes back a slightly different colour you reserve the right to assume moral outrage. Spare me please.

Of course you're entitled to your differing viewpoint just as I'm entitled to call bullcrap on them; you know it's the prerogative of that freedom of speech thingy we don't just wear on our sleeves?

Here's a heads up for you; nowhere in my post history will you find one with me stating Canada is number 1 at anything. So attempting to put this Canadian in that particular little box you like to talk about but have absolutely no compunction about doing yourself, you will fail at.

Nice segue to attaching an "ignorant" moniker onto me as well thereYeah in mikey. Having lived in other countries myself with the U.S. being a part time location every year I'm as qualified as you to talk about evolutionary experiences.

I'll say it again for your edification; The U.S. is a fine country with some very fine people. It is however no finer than many other countries, with some less than fine people in the mix, just exactly as Canada.

Finally; I likened you to being a dog in the same manner as you've likened any number of us as a whole population suffering from an inferiority complex, being ignorant or lacking a worldly view and sophisitication. I could care less if you're a female or not. Another Canadian thingy is giving both genders equal rights and responsibilities for same; ergo: you dish it out you should be able to take it back without getting all fauz outraged.
Whoa brother try to relax a little. My god. No reason to get THAT angry. Try to smile a bit and not take things so seriously.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:10 PM

25 posts, read 24,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The Canadian Inferiority Complexâ„¢ strikes again!
I laughed

Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Humour (I don't want to offend) often seems to be often lost on the posters in the Canadian threads. I can't help ya with that, I'm afraid.

And I'm "backtracking" now, am I? Honestly, I don't know what the heck you're talking about, ya know that? Please be more specific as to how I'm "backtracking." I'M DYING to hear this.

Note to self: DO NOT make any more off-the-cuff, funny comments around oh-so-easily offended Canadians. Growing up, I never understood what my immigrant family meant when they complained about this, but, gawd, now I do.
You just can't help yourself can you? See that post right there is the epitome of the word condescending in a nutshell.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Ya know, you REALLY need to read more carefully.

I DIDNT say ANYTHING about labels, so do NOT trivialize my very legitimate point. I think I know more about the Spanish presence in the US than do you, as I LIVE here.

And the US government conducts business in English? Uh, yeah, I think that covered that one when I said that the US IS NOT an OFFICIALLY bilingual country.

Anything else?
If you didn't I'm sorry However what did you edit?

Today, 12:21 PM

Last edited by newdixiegirl; Today at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 02:15 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
You just can't help yourself can you? See that post right there is the epitome of the word condescending in a nutshell.

Oh, dear. I've upset you AGAIN, have I?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Humour (I don't want to offend) often seems to be often lost on the posters in the Canadian threads. I can't help ya with that, I'm afraid.

And I'm "backtracking" now, am I? Honestly, I don't know what the heck you're talking about, ya know that? Please be more specific as to how I'm "backtracking." I'M DYING to hear this.

Note to self: DO NOT make any more off-the-cuff, funny comments around oh-so-easily offended Canadians. Growing up, I never understood what my immigrant family meant when they complained about this, but, gawd, now I do.
You appear to be backtracking by stating after the fact that your comment about certain spellings being "pretentious" was just " off the cuff". Which if it truly were you wouldn't of reinforced it again in a later post.

It seems you are trying to water down the original comment.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Dang! That caused a rum and pepsi accident right there. You left out Louisiana though.
Actually Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and West Virginia are actively disliked not ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada