Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,419,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So, if you say that people in that region are "all the same", save for religion and politics, that's even more the case for Canadians and Americans, save for politics, right?

I don't necessarily think this, just following the logic.
I don't know. Canadian and American histories are very different. Plus, Canada is a very small country and the immigrations patterns over the last 10-20 years have surely ensured that the demographic make-up is different between Canada vs USA.

Overall point I was making is that consuming foreign entertainment and food doesn't make you foreign. Just because I eat Mexican Food and listen to Mexican music and watch Mexican movies doesn't make me Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 12:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,585,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I don't know. Canadian and American histories are very different. Plus, Canada is a very small country and the immigrations patterns over the last 10-20 years have surely ensured that the demographic make-up is different between Canada vs USA.

Overall point I was making is that consuming foreign entertainment and food doesn't make you foreign. Just because I eat Mexican Food and listen to Mexican music and watch Mexican movies doesn't make me Mexican.
There are some major historical differences (i.e. American Revolution and American Civil War) but Canada and the US were still founded by the same Europeans around the same time and developed in tangent over time in a very similar fashion. There is shared language, food, music, clothing and other cultural traits. So I'm not sure if they are "very" different on a global scale when looking at day-to-day lifestyle and interests. China or Russia is "very" different compared to the US and Canada. Austria and Germany are "different" but not "very" different compared to say Spain and Korea.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
There are some major historical differences (i.e. American Revolution and American Civil War) but Canada and the US were still founded by the same Europeans around the same time and developed in tangent over time in a very similar fashion. There is shared language, food, music, clothing and other cultural traits. So I'm not sure if they are "very" different on a global scale when looking at day-to-day lifestyle and interests. China or Russia is "very" different compared to the US and Canada. Austria and Germany are "different" but not "very" different compared to say Spain and Korea.
If we're going to get beyond the fact that all peoples have common ground somewhere, if you look hard enough, East and West Germany became different enough for it to cause problems in less than 50 years. And the differences went beyond full store shelves versus empty store shelves.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:00 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Dear god, how inane a discussion is this going to become before you stop talking about hamburger for cry'n out loud?

Today's news is about Canada and it's people feeling less and less inclined to follow lock-step with U.S. on issues of security, foreign and domestic. Shouldn't that be of a higher import as a cultural indicator than the relative consumption rate of hamburgers?
Okay next topic.

Music
Canada Top 40 @ Top40-Charts.com - Songs & Videos from 49 Top 20 & Top 40 Music Charts from 30 Countries

Florida Georgia Line at number 9!
Looks like "New Country" is making its way to the Great White North...

Movies

List of 2010 box office number-one films in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Main topic is pretty much been covered, we all know Canadians are culturally very much like Americans (and that is not a bad thing)

Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,585,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If we're going to get beyond the fact that all peoples have common ground somewhere, if you look hard enough, East and West Germany became different enough for it to cause problems in less than 50 years. And the differences went beyond full store shelves versus empty store shelves.
Good point. An example of essentially the same people driven by two very different political belief/systems. Canada and the US have different political systems too, albeit not as different as Communist vs. Democratic ones. It is really a question of the "magnitude" of differences when talking about different aspects of culture - politics, food, clothing, music, religion, language, lifestyle etc. Some aspects are more different than others when comparing the US and Canada, many overlap.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,334,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, don't we call it the 'weird' coast or something like that? And speaking of weird, I don't know if this is just a BC thing, but anyone heard of 'earthing?' I only know about it via the west coast and my step-grandchildren. Apparently what we used to call 'playing in the mud' is now 'earthing' in BC. Earthing Canada | Get Grounded. Feel Better.

Naw, this is different. Canadian weirdness is different than American weirdness. If anyone did the above except for Alberta, we would all think they lost their minds, regardless of our political views. Even supporters of any of the above views in other provinces, would still think BCers had lost their minds. It's just not our form of weirdness. See earthing. I don't know if it originated in Canada or even BC, but that would be in line with BC weirdness as perceived by the rest of Canada.
I've heard the term " left coast ".

Old 10-10-2014, 02:01 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,334,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Dear god, how inane a discussion is this going to become before you stop talking about hamburger for cry'n out loud?

Today's news is about Canada and it's people feeling less and less inclined to follow lock-step with U.S. on issues of security, foreign and domestic. Shouldn't that be of a higher import as a cultural indicator than the relative consumption rate of hamburgers?
One would hope so.

There are some here though, that give the superficial too much weight when judging Canada's culture.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:46 AM

Well, perogies and cabbage rolls are everywhere here. Therefore we have no culture of our own. We are clearly Eastern European.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've heard the term " left coast ".
I thought that was what Americans called their west coast. I thought we called ours something else. I could be wrong though.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:08 AM

3,593 posts, read 3,329,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Looks like "New Country" is making its way to the Great White North...
"New Country" has been here for twenty years, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada