Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I really appeciated the balance and humanity in this post... I do think you misdirect your anger at me -really the wrong person Edward. No im not black but as a white growing up in a poorer community J/F from 3 y.o to 19, with all kinds of races who like my family, struggled to make ends meet - I am far from being the bad white guy here I went to Westview C.S.S and my roots and a big part of my heart and soul is with tbe community of friends I grew up with...Im about as integrated a person can get and I think it does show something about me that I have been in an interracial marriage for 5 years now.. I just asked for some balance that is all because we all know Toronto isn't alone in ignorance but I do appreciate your insight and experiences, probably more than you realize.

Anyway, you may have missed this but I wrote earlier about this in a response to you. I wrote a letter to counc Wong Tam about my strong objections to racial profIling in the T.O PD and the damaging sociological impact this is having on our community.. I am willing to fight this and take a stand!

I respect the work you and your wife are doing and I hope there are more strong voices in Toronto but also in many places and that real progress is made..Sorry for your loss, in my thoughts!
Thank you for that Fusion. There is no anger directed at you in the least, don't mistake my firm talking and occasional foul language for anger. I simply just wanted to clear up some misconceptions and hopefully my post earlier did.

Your post also cleared up some misconceptions I had myself. I also appreciate you reaching out to your city council member in reference to racial profiling. That goes a long way, especially when it is coming from someone outside the black community, we cant make this change on our own.

I thought of a few of the posts in this thread when reading this about the young man I was speaking about earlier. It actually tied in well:

In Memory of Abshir Hassan | news | Torontoist

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 07-10-2014 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
I wanted to also post this documentary about racial profiling and the TPS. Racial stereotyping leads to this sort of behavior.

Crisis of Distrust: Police and Community in Toronto - YouTube

Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Post number 12 on here might be sort of relevant to this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...l#post35603187

Old 07-11-2014, 06:45 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I wouldn't say it's hidden, most know about some of the history of blacks in Canada and NS in particular.

This is a good link about that part of our history.

Black History Canada - End of Segregation in Canada

However pointing fingers at Canada while living in the US is rather odd. Look at the current amount of racism against the current president. It's on a scale, that you would never see in Canada today.
There is very little racism against president Obama. The proof is he wea elected and reelected. However there is a lot of opposition to his policies. Many people that oppose his polcies are branded as racist.

There is definitely more racism in Canada than the US. When we lived in Vancouver, there was more racism towards my wife who is from Mexico than she ever experienced in the US and that includes just about all of the states.

Why is it odd for the poster to comment on racism in Canada while iiving in the US. He obviously knows a lot more about it than you as he has lived in both counries like I have.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
In absolute terms or per capita terms... The U.S is a larger country than Canada is and has a larger economy. It also has a different immigation policy so depends on how you measure success. You should back up your claims with thorough comparitive data since making the claim is an extraordinay one. For the record I didn't claim immigrants in Canada were more successful than immigrants in the U.S - I said as time goes by and our immigrant and vis min population grows in absolute and per capita terms, so too will their prominence.
I know from personal experience that Asian immigrants, specifically Chinese, Korean, and Indian engineers are far more successful in the US. I have worked with many in Silicon Valley where I was one of the few white Americans in the engineering group. They have started up many companies. They were never faced with the discrimination they had in Canada because they lacked Canadian experience. Engineering and Science is the same around the world and the US recognizes that. Many of them immigrated to Canada first and then to the US later on.

You don't see professional immigrants driving cabs in the US.

I see very little interracial marriage in Canada that is quite common in the US

Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Great comments... I don't think many Americans appreciate how 'new' our visible minority populations are and how we get a large and constant stream of them on a per capita basis.
What about the First Nations people? They certainly aren't new and they face tremendous racism in Canada.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The issue that many of us have is that while living in Canada it is damn near impossible to engage anyone in a meaningful discussion about racism and we are constantly told how superior Canadians are to Americans when it comes to race relations, when those of us who have lived on both sides of the border think that is a bunch of BS. In the US, it is easy to get everyone to admit its a racist country, build on years of oppression, so the conversation is significantly more open and honest.

Anyways, it is damn near almost morning here and I am really tiring of this discussion. Hopefully I have a chance to catch up on the comments in a couple weeks when I check back. Cheers.
You are 100% correct.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
A GOP President of any race Lol u just lost all credibility.
What is that supposed to mean? It is total BS.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I know from personal experience that Asian immigrants, specifically Chinese, Korean, and Indian engineers are far more successful in the US. I have worked with many in Silicon Valley where I was one of the few white Americans in the engineering group. They have started up many companies. They were never faced with the discrimination they had in Canada because they lacked Canadian experience. Engineering and Science is the same around the world and the US recognizes that. Many of them immigrated to Canada first and then to the US later on.

You don't see professional immigrants driving cabs in the US.

I see very little interracial marriage in Canada that is quite common in the US
I had no idea my family was so unique, involving marriages with blacks, Jews, First Nations and Asians.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times
As a Black American I have several questions about several occurrences..

A group of Black American females were on a trip in Toronto...My friend stopped a Black Canadian guy for directions to a
certain place and he was very rude and nasty to her...She later stopped a Canadian white guy to ask the same thing and
he was very helpful and accommodating...The other incident was that a Black Canadian group came down to visit a Black
Church in the United States..The group went out to a club and the Black Canadians were surprised to see black and white
people dancing together in the dance club..

There was another Canadian lady we knew who was bi-racial and from Alberta..she was very uncomfortable about going to
a Black beauty shop to get her hair done...acted if she really didn't what to be associated with blacks..

Just wondering what was going on with Black Canadians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada