Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:22 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Canada: 2011 National Household Survey: Data tables

USA: Here's Median Income In The US By Race - Business Insider

Note that the Canadian survey is by median income, US by household income. This is not meant to compare the two countries, but rather to show how VM groups perform comparatively to their white counterparts.
Alright its a sunday afternoon and beautiful out so as much as this topic really does interest me and trust me im open to anything that is solid, comparable and credible - a patio with craft beer and unhealthy food beckons me lol.. I just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples and the source data is thorough. The latter is not easy to gather readily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Alright its a sunday afternoon and beautiful out so as much as this topic really does interest me and trust me im open to anything that is solid, comparable and credible - a patio with craft beer and unhealthy food beckons me lol.. I just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples and the source data is thorough. The latter is not easy to gather readily.
There's no deadline here homie, take your time. lol.

Just wanted to add something I just read in The Toronto Star, since we discussed "carding" earlier. It seems that after the lawsuit filed against the Toronto Police Services carding fell, but the rate that people classified as "Black" or "Brown" actually rose since 2013. Very disturbing trend.

Carding drops but proportion of blacks stopped by Toronto police rises | Toronto Star

Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 PM

22 posts, read 20,377 times
Quote:
There's no deadline here homie, take your time. lol.

Just wanted to add something I just read in The Toronto Star, since we discussed "carding" earlier. It seems that after the lawsuit filed against the Toronto Police Services carding fell, but the rate that people classified as "Black" or "Brown" actually rose since 2013. Very disturbing trend.

Carding drops but proportion of blacks stopped by Toronto police rises | Toronto Star

This is neither surprising or disturbing. I think it's great to see carding incidents decrease. It shows that cops are using better discretion with such a drastic decrease. At some point our community needs to stop blaming cops (which we do all too often, sometimes justifiably) and start becoming better parents and role models for our youth. "Between 1992 and 2003, young Blacks were estimated to account for some 30% of murder victims and approximately 36% of offenders in Toronto area homicides.2 Yet, during this time, Blacks represented only about 10% of Toronto’s population." This is something our community needs to address. We continue to blame the police.

As a black male in this city, I personally think that this report shows that we are moving in the right direction and this city needs to continue to call out cops on their actions when appropriate.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewara19 View Post
This is neither surprising or disturbing. I think it's great to see carding incidents decrease. It shows that cops are using better discretion with such a drastic decrease. At some point our community needs to stop blaming cops (which we do all too often, sometimes justifiably) and start becoming better parents and role models for our youth. "Between 1992 and 2003, young Blacks were estimated to account for some 30% of murder victims and approximately 36% of offenders in Toronto area homicides.2 Yet, during this time, Blacks represented only about 10% of Toronto’s population." This is something our community needs to address. We continue to blame the police.

As a black male in this city, I personally think that this report shows that we are moving in the right direction and this city needs to continue to call out cops on their actions when appropriate.
I would personally view this as a positive, if it actually led to arrests. The majority of contact cards that are distributed are to people that are not arrested nor committing any crimes. I have no issues with the TPS pulling over Black males, if those encounters end up uncovering weapons or drugs.

This part also tempers any enthusiasm I have about the drop in total cards:

"Morton also expressed concern over the increase in the proportion of cards where no skin colour isspecified, and in particular with contact cards filled out by officers attached to the controversial and provincially funded Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy unit.
“One has to question the motivation behind an obviously calculated omission of skin colour,” Morton said in an emailed response to Star queries."

I think it would be naive to believe that those unmarked cards are predominantly white males. There is motivation to try and include as many contact cards marked white as possible.

I agree with you about the work that needs to be done within our own community, but this is a separate issue and does nothing to mend the issues of distrust that exist between the black community and the police.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:46 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Just a comment - as the aunt of biracial children, I am enjoying reading the exchanges and different points of view between Edward and ewara19. Everyone, whether a visible minority or not, has a stake in seeing that racism is a thing of the past.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Just a comment - as the aunt of biracial children, I am enjoying reading the exchanges and different points of view between Edward and ewara19. Everyone, whether a visible minority or not, has a stake in seeing that racism is a thing of the past.
Netwit, you live in Manitoba correct? Have your biracial family members shared any personal impressions of living there as people of colour? I admittedly have never been, nor am familiar enough with the area to form an opinion either way.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Netwit, you live in Manitoba correct? Have your biracial family members shared any personal impressions of living there as people of colour? I admittedly have never been, nor am familiar enough with the area to form an opinion either way.
Yes, I'm in Manitoba. I think I had once mentioned this before in a thread to a chorus of boos and disbelief but my BIL felt that he hadn't experienced any racism here. My point then, as it is now, is that that doesn't mean that racism doesn't exist or even that he didn't experience any - he is a very laid back person. He isn't someone who looks for that. I think a lot of racism is subtle and sometimes you don't know whether you are just dealing with someone from the Jerk race of people or whether something is directed at you specifically because of race.

I think my sister is more conscious of stuff like that, particularly where their children have been concerned. The kids went/go to a private Catholic school and the potential of racism is why she wanted that. But there were a couple of instances where one or the other kid was called a racist word by another kid - but kids being kids, and bullies being bullies, even if it wasn't for skin colour, name-calling would still exist. My sister went ballistic though

And I kept my nieces and nephews supplied with books on black heroes like Martin Luther King from an early age on, being the reader in the family. My oldest nephew is in university now.

The kids are all into guitar and Bob Marley.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes, I'm in Manitoba. I think I had once mentioned this before in a thread to a chorus of boos and disbelief but my BIL felt that he hadn't experienced any racism here. My point then, as it is now, is that that doesn't mean that racism doesn't exist or even that he didn't experience any - he is a very laid back person. He isn't someone who looks for that. I think a lot of racism is subtle and sometimes you don't know whether you are just dealing with someone from the Jerk race of people or whether something is directed at you specifically because of race.

I think my sister is more conscious of stuff like that, particularly where their children have been concerned. The kids went/go to a private Catholic school and the potential of racism is why she wanted that. But there were a couple of instances where one or the other kid was called a racist word by another kid - but kids being kids, and bullies being bullies, even if it wasn't for skin colour, name-calling would still exist. My sister went ballistic though

And I kept my nieces and nephews supplied with books on black heroes like Martin Luther King from an early age on, being the reader in the family. My oldest nephew is in university now.

The kids are all into guitar and Bob Marley.
Thanks for sharing this netwit. Always interesting to hear the experiences of people in other areas. I also appreciate you making a conscious effort to connect them to black heroes and history through reading.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this netwit. Always interesting to hear the experiences of people in other areas. I also appreciate you making a conscious effort to connect them to black heroes and history through reading.
Thanks. The parents are actually a bit too laid back for me and I figured forewarned is forearmed. I'm more than happy if racism is something they never experience but I wanted them to have at least an idea of what could happen so as to better defend themselves.

But as things are going, there just might be a new rock star on the horizon one of these days and I'll be related to him!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 AM

457 posts, read 645,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I am from Vancouver. Here where I am now in America Asians including Indians and Chinese, as well as Middle Easterners have a reputation for excellence in academics and financial matters. Indians have even been called the "ideal immigrants". Not so in Canada.

In Vancouver, it's different. Any Asian with money is suspect for being involved with illegal operations. They are also accused of taking over the city. South Asians can be called "Pakis" and experience much more racism. They are not regarded as high achievers like they are in the US. This isn't even covering the First Nations who are treated like pieces of trash by many boorish Canadians and regarded as drunks and the source of problems. Its so sad and embarrassing. The UN recently called the treatment of native people in Canada a "crisis" but I doubt this will change the racism they face. Also, we dont have many black people and definitely not big numbers of educated black people like there are here in DC so many seem to think of black people as they are presented on TV. We have a lot of work to do.

Trust me, we have LOTS of racial problems in BC but lots of Canadians do not want to talk about it while in the US race is openly discussed and recognized. It is totally different from the US where Asians are held in high esteem and people are much kinder to natives. Maybe its because we kept Canada lily white until fairly recently and didn't have the civil rights movement so Canadians think tolerance means claiming to be "not racist" rather than actually acting "not racist". There are many Canadians who are truly beacons of tolerance but they are rivaled by the ignorant racist ones.
I've noticed that in Canada you get called a "troublemaker" if you even call someone a racist when they've done or said something covertly racist to you. Like called you a slur of the WRONG race. I'm First Nations and get hit with almost WORSE stereotypes in Canada because they will tell me outright "First Nations are supposed to be White, so you're Black." Because they've never seen a Choctaw or they don't know what the REAL Eskimos/Inuits look like - so many Canadians are so ignorant about what's in their own country, up in the Arctic that it's unbelievable. Even some of the people right there in Whitehorse and Yellowknife, it's unreal.

I've had people, white men usually, treat me BETTER when they thought I was the wrong race (i.e. just uneducated and stupid and "must not be good at Math or Science") than when I corrected them. When they thought I was "black" they were patronizing and awful and when I corrected them to First Nations then they had their damn hands all over me too. Unbelievable. No wonder Canada falls third in the rankings of "highest levels of rape" in the world....behind only the US and South Africa. Wow.

Is it any wonder I hesitate to move back to Canada when thanks in part to Obama's presidency it seems like nothing in the USA will hire a First Nations woman with a Math teaching license, science undergrad degrees and grad degrees and a Law degree. I do think that it's the Obama presidency that has opened up all kinds of backlash against minorities of any shade of brown getting into and graduating the top universities and getting ANYWHERE in the world, even and especially those of us who were "raised White" as he was. And the racists are coming out of the woodwork down here and it seems they're all the ones in charge of hiring in EVERY field, every thing that has openings, that is....I know that I can probably somehow eke out a living transcribing closed-captions for the deaf or maybe even teach French in some remote Metis community in northern Saskatchewan I just don't want to be in Saskatchewan because I don't want to have to STOP talking to ALL white men (which is going against the very grain of how and where I was raised, you see). In my experience (2 years in Quebec) the Canadian white men are more sleazy and perverted when it comes to talking to ME personally, than I have ever experienced "down Under." I need the f***ing JOB (call centres don't care what you look like) but I don't need the increased rape risk (New Mexico was bad enough, thank you very much).

So, OK, yes maybe SOME Canadians are tolerant but you have the problem of the racist perverted ones causing all the problems. If you read the domestic violence news (as I do, since I'd like it to STOP HAPPENING to me everywhere I go!) you'll notice that it will tend to be, say, the same one or two white men getting away with raping or murdering 10-20 First Nations women (especially out in the West) before anyone even does anything about it. That tends to be the ratio - 10 women dead, one killer; before anyone officially even sees a "problem." It's because the "authorities" are overwhelmingly White and as such, the lives or safety of First Nations women mean less than diddly-squat to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada