Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times

Advertisements

So, I was reading a study about racial stereotypes here Stereotype Susceptibility (the stereotypes discussed were Asians being good at math, women being less good at math than men) and this part, which actually mentioned Canadians, caught my eye.

"We compared American and Canadian stereotypes for Asians being quantitatively gifted and found that the stereotype prevailed more in America than in Canada (t (81) = 2.07, p <.05, r = .22)"

The sample size is small for the Canadians, 19 people in Vancouver, so who knows if it is accurate but it's interesting if it really reflects any reality.

Do you think that in general certain racial stereotypes are different between Canadians and Americans regarding ethnic minorities?

I know that for instance, black Americans and black Canadians might have differing histories and stereotypes put against one group might not be the same across countries, but this is the first time I've seen something about Asians, considering they are both fairly new immigrants (on average) to both countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
Interesting question. I would venture to say that there's less overt racism in Canada, but Canada has never had the reckoning that the US did in the Civil Rights movement, so Canada has never really faced it.

Natives are highly stereotyped in Canada (drunk, lazy), and there is much racism towards them.
Interestingly, blacks are not heavily stereotyped in my native Nova Scotia, although historically they have been very discriminated against. The last segregated school closed there in 1984.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
19 people in Vancouver? No surprise then, Vancouver is 1/3 Asian and they have 150 years of local history in the city. Locals here will have had extensive, personal experience of Asians and Asian cultures over the course of a lifetime. When you have extensive personal experiences of a culture you rely much less on stereotypes and likely have a more nuanced view. The average Vancouverite will know a large number of Asians and will certainly have met some who do not fit stereotypes. Sampling 19 Vancouverites is bad methodology if you're trying to get a representative sample of Canadians.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:45 AM

126 posts, read 557,093 times
As a black man who has lived both the US and Canada, I do believe that there are stereotyping differences between the two countries. Here are some thoughts.

Black men are much more commonly stereotyped as criminals in the US than in Canada. Even in Toronto, with its large share of the black population in Canada and where there have been some high-profile crimes involving blacks, the difference is significant. From what I have seen, Nova Scotia is closer to the US than anywhere else in Canada.

Canadians more commonly think that black people are innately unintelligent than Americans. Americans more commonly think of black disadvantage in this respect as statistical, a reflection of the impoverished (and in other ways disadvantageous) circumstances in which many black Americans grow up.

Americans are more comfortable with black people than are Canadians. They will more commonly strike up a conversation with you, and do not seem as ill-at-ease in your presence -- at least if they are convinced that you are not going to rob them.

In America, speaking standard English will get you further as a black person than in Canada. In general, I found that my educational background and amiability (which is admittedly harder for me to maintain here) served me better in the US than it does in Canada.

So far I have mainly spoken about blacks. Let me finish with some observations about other minorities.

I think South Asians in Canada are much less commonly associated with the 'model minority' stereotype in Canada than they are in the US. I think this reflects the fact that their socio-economic profile paints a much more mixed picture.

I can see Asians (East Asians and Southeast Asians) being less stereotyped as being quantitatively gifted than in the US (though I am not sure about this), but we should be careful to compare cities with roughly equal numbers of Asians. I suspect that British Columbia and California will be similar in this respect, but British Columbia and Kansas might not be. Stereotypes may be more susceptible to disconfirmation when the group in question is larger (and so -- at least in many cases -- more diverse).

Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 AM

938 posts, read 1,514,513 times
The differences in stereotypes of Asian people may have to do with the differences between immigration systems.

In the U.S., you need to have a job lined up for you before you immigrate, unless you have a family member who can sponsor you (more rare, due to the long wait time of 5 to 21 years). Whereas in Canada, the immigration system is a point system where anyone who is highly educated and claims to speak English can move to Canada. Unfortunately, for some reason or another, Canadian employers demand "Canadian experience", which means that many of these educated immigrants may come to Canada and find themselves working at McDonald's.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:40 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
As a black man who has lived both the US and Canada, I do believe that there are stereotyping differences between the two countries. Here are some thoughts.

Black men are much more commonly stereotyped as criminals in the US than in Canada. Even in Toronto, with its large share of the black population in Canada and where there have been some high-profile crimes involving blacks, the difference is significant. From what I have seen, Nova Scotia is closer to the US than anywhere else in Canada.

Canadians more commonly think that black people are innately unintelligent than Americans. Americans more commonly think of black disadvantage in this respect as statistical, a reflection of the impoverished (and in other ways disadvantageous) circumstances in which many black Americans grow up.

Americans are more comfortable with black people than are Canadians. They will more commonly strike up a conversation with you, and do not seem as ill-at-ease in your presence -- at least if they are convinced that you are not going to rob them.

In America, speaking standard English will get you further as a black person than in Canada. In general, I found that my educational background and amiability (which is admittedly harder for me to maintain here) served me better in the US than it does in Canada.

So far I have mainly spoken about blacks. Let me finish with some observations about other minorities.

I think South Asians in Canada are much less commonly associated with the 'model minority' stereotype in Canada than they are in the US. I think this reflects the fact that their socio-economic profile paints a much more mixed picture.

I can see Asians (East Asians and Southeast Asians) being less stereotyped as being quantitatively gifted than in the US (though I am not sure about this), but we should be careful to compare cities with roughly equal numbers of Asians. I suspect that British Columbia and California will be similar in this respect, but British Columbia and Kansas might not be. Stereotypes may be more susceptible to disconfirmation when the group in question is larger (and so -- at least in many cases -- more diverse).
I repped you on your very interesting post but I think that perhaps some of your observations are regional? From the outside looking in, but with the addition of a Jamaican BIL and resulting bi-racial nieces and nephews, as well as other black friends, it seems that here in Manitoba there is or used to be more of a fascination with black people due to there not being that many here.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:15 PM

342 posts, read 510,841 times
I am from Vancouver. Here where I am now in America Asians including Indians and Chinese, as well as Middle Easterners have a reputation for excellence in academics and financial matters. Indians have even been called the "ideal immigrants". Not so in Canada.

In Vancouver, it's different. Any Asian with money is suspect for being involved with illegal operations. They are also accused of taking over the city. South Asians can be called "Pakis" and experience much more racism. They are not regarded as high achievers like they are in the US. This isn't even covering the First Nations who are treated like pieces of trash by many boorish Canadians and regarded as drunks and the source of problems. Its so sad and embarrassing. The UN recently called the treatment of native people in Canada a "crisis" but I doubt this will change the racism they face. Also, we dont have many black people and definitely not big numbers of educated black people like there are here in DC so many seem to think of black people as they are presented on TV. We have a lot of work to do.

Trust me, we have LOTS of racial problems in BC but lots of Canadians do not want to talk about it while in the US race is openly discussed and recognized. It is totally different from the US where Asians are held in high esteem and people are much kinder to natives. Maybe its because we kept Canada lily white until fairly recently and didn't have the civil rights movement so Canadians think tolerance means claiming to be "not racist" rather than actually acting "not racist". There are many Canadians who are truly beacons of tolerance but they are rivaled by the ignorant racist ones.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 PM

342 posts, read 510,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Interestingly, blacks are not heavily stereotyped in my native Nova Scotia, although historically they have been very discriminated against. The last segregated school closed there in 1984.
Canada has a hidden history of discrimination against blacks. Blacks werent allowed to immigrate to Canada and only the tiny minority in NS and southern O were allowed to stay and faced severe racism. I didnt know the last segregated school closed in 1984, thats terrible, but Ive heard of NS being called "Mississippi of the North" before. The thing is no one talks about racism in Canada but the Americans cant stop talking about it.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I am from Vancouver. Here where I am now in America Asians including Indians and Chinese, as well as Middle Easterners have a reputation for excellence in academics and financial matters. Indians have even been called the "ideal immigrants". Not so in Canada.

In Vancouver, it's different. Any Asian with money is suspect for being involved with illegal operations. They are also accused of taking over the city. South Asians can be called "Pakis" and experience much more racism. They are not regarded as high achievers like they are in the US. This isn't even covering the First Nations who are treated like pieces of trash by many boorish Canadians and regarded as drunks and the source of problems. Its so sad and embarrassing. The UN recently called the treatment of native people in Canada a "crisis" but I doubt this will change the racism they face. Also, we dont have many black people and definitely not big numbers of educated black people like there are here in DC so many seem to think of black people as they are presented on TV. We have a lot of work to do.

Trust me, we have LOTS of racial problems in BC but lots of Canadians do not want to talk about it while in the US race is openly discussed and recognized. It is totally different from the US where Asians are held in high esteem and people are much kinder to natives. Maybe its because we kept Canada lily white until fairly recently and didn't have the civil rights movement so Canadians think tolerance means claiming to be "not racist" rather than actually acting "not racist". There are many Canadians who are truly beacons of tolerance but they are rivaled by the ignorant racist ones.
You live in a totally different reality. Not saying racism doesn't exist in Canada but some of your statements are simply false.

Indians in Canada are considered very good immigrants. Just because you knew some who incorrectly labelled them " Paki's " doesn't mean most did.

The idea that ANY asian money is suspect is ridiculous. Asian, mainly Chinese, buying real estate in Vancouver is not seen as illegal. Have there been Asian criminals in Canada..yes….and the US too. So it really doesn't prove anything.

Natives, people, yes. There are some that hold racist views, but I view the issues facing natives to be mostly political, coming from a federal gov't that doesn't want to play fair. That's why the latest ruling from the Supreme Court pisses them off so. ( look it up, if you don't know which ruling I'm referring to ).

To paint Canada as some intolerant racist place, says more about you and the people you seem to know.

The " beacon of tolerance " in Canada is much, much larger than you think.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Canada has a hidden history of discrimination against blacks. Blacks werent allowed to immigrate to Canada and only the tiny minority in NS and southern O were allowed to stay and faced severe racism. I didnt know the last segregated school closed in 1984, thats terrible, but Ive heard of NS being called "Mississippi of the North" before. The thing is no one talks about racism in Canada but the Americans cant stop talking about it.
I wouldn't say it's hidden, most know about some of the history of blacks in Canada and NS in particular.

This is a good link about that part of our history.

Black History Canada - End of Segregation in Canada

However pointing fingers at Canada while living in the US is rather odd. Look at the current amount of racism against the current president. It's on a scale, that you would never see in Canada today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada