Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:50 AM

45 posts, read 74,714 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Canadians and Expats,

I hope this finds you well. My husband, well he likes to change his mind a lot. We are located in America. For the past few years we were thinking of moving further south into America for him to do his masters program in Chemical Engineering. However, in the recent events of what is going and the major support of oppressing governments, my husband has thought of moving to Canada. He has a degree in chemical engineering and he has the experience. He would like to work and go to school part time for his master's.

We have looked a several cities, such as Toronto, Montreal, and Kincardine. Yesterday, he expressed Saskatoon. I know he's looking to provide for me and our son, but he also wants to be happy, and I really don't think with the recent events he's happy.

What advice would one give to US green card holder (my husband) and US citizen (me) married couple with a child moving to Canada for employment and political reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
So your husband is from Canada originally? As far as where to move to, it seems that would depend on where he grew up, and if he is familiar with Saskatoon and the weather there. And I guess the same would apply to you. How well you would adapt would depend at least partly on what kind of weather you are used to, what you would prefer and even the size of the city you are accustomed to or prefer.

As a wife myself, I can certainly understand feeling uneasy at the thought of making a big move with a husband who likes to change his mind a lot. My heart skipped a little beat right there. Unhappy wife = unhappy husband.

How do YOU feel about such a move? Have you made many visits to Canada? Does your husband have family and friends here to act as a support system?

Saskatoon is very cold. And if you are from a very large city, it is also small.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 AM

Thank you for your reply. I've been to Canada before, but my husband has not. He's not Canadian, he's a KSA citizen however some people from companies have approached him about employment in Canada. Me personally I just want him to be happy. I think with engineers they can become board quickly when not being full-filled.

I just know the weather is Canada is very different from America, especially the south. Saskatoon I've heard is very cold. We are from a small city, so being small isn't that big deal for me. However, I am wondering how would he fair in the cold. We are living in the valley of the Appalachian mountains so we do a lot of travelling in the mountains during winter mountains just to get to one place to another, however, Saskatchewan is a majorly different kind of cold.

I know we will adapt if we go there, but I am just wondering how we would fit in. Does the province and city anti-foreign or anti-muslim. Do they dislike Americans? I mean just concerned. We have heard that Quebec isn't the place to be. So, I think that's why he chose the province of Saskatchewan.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janani10 View Post

I know we will adapt if we go there, but I am just wondering how we would fit in. Does the province and city anti-foreign or anti-muslim. Do they dislike Americans? I mean just concerned. We have heard that Quebec isn't the place to be. So, I think that's why he chose the province of Saskatchewan.
I don't think you'd have any problems in Saskatchewan (or in other provinces) as regards people being anti-foreign or anti-muslim. Although there aren't nearly as many muslims in Saskatchewan (around 5 thousand muslims there) as there are in Ontario and several other provinces for example, Saskatoon (and Regina) do have Islamic Centres and they each have a private elementary school for muslim children where students also receive religious instructions within provincial curriculum guidelines (if that is important to you).

The cold might be the biggest issue for your husband. If he is from Saudi Arabia and acclimated to dry heat the deep winter cold of Saskatchewan may be a difficulty for him (maybe for all of you if you're accustomed to American south). And Saskatchewan in general is subject to a variety of climate extremes throughout the year that are not common in other parts of Canada. Here is some information about Saskatchewan's regional climates: Climate - Climate Change Saskatchewan

Culturally/socially I think you could both adapt and integrate as well as you wish to in most any city in Canada keeping in mind that Canadians of any religion are generally politely reserved with others about their respective religions and expect the same polite reservation from newcomers. However, I'd suggest before you definitely settle on Saskatchewan as the place to go you should both do some more research about the general climates of each province in Canada, including the micro-climates of the various regions within each province. You could be happy in Canada and happier still if you are in a province that has a climate that is easiest for you to adapt to because winters are long and summers are often unpredictable these days.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-05-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 05:16 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
You said "Hello fellow Canadians and Expats".
Does this mean you are a Canadian? From your the other statements it would appear you are not familiar with Canada. Better check if you are even eligible to immigrate.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think you'd have any problems in Saskatchewan (or in other provinces) as regards people being anti-foreign or anti-muslim. Although there aren't nearly as many muslims in Saskatchewan (around 5 thousand muslims there) as there are in Ontario and several other provinces for example, Saskatoon (and Regina) do have Islamic Centres and they each have a private elementary school for muslim children where students also receive religious instructions within provincial curriculum guidelines (if that is important to you).

The cold might be the biggest issue for your husband. If he is from Saudi Arabia and acclimated to dry heat the deep winter cold of Saskatchewan may be a difficulty for him (maybe for all of you if you're accustomed to American south). And Saskatchewan in general is subject to a variety of climate extremes throughout the year that are not common in other parts of Canada. Here is some information about Saskatchewan's regional climates: Climate - Climate Change Saskatchewan

Culturally/socially I think you could both adapt and integrate as well as you wish to in most any city in Canada keeping in mind that Canadians of any religion are generally politely reserved with others about their respective religions and expect the same polite reservation from newcomers. However, I'd suggest before you definitely settle on Saskatchewan as the place to go you should both do some more research about the general climates of each province in Canada, including the micro-climates of the various regions within each province. You could be happy in Canada and happier still if you are in a province that has a climate that is easiest for you to adapt to because winters are long and summers are often unpredictable these days.

Thank you for your message. I am about to look at the weather reports and see. Your information has been the most helpful. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,724 times
Have a look at Calgary.... lots of opportunities for chemical engineers here and, as an added bonus, our mayor is Muslim (and very well loved).

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Canadians, generally are a pretty tolerant lot. I wouldn't expect many/any issues. Your biggest challenges are going to be costs, climate and location.

Canada is sparsely populated and expensive to travel to/within. You say you are in the WV valleys, but the option to go to the "city" is always there. Even from the middle of nowhere in the state, you're no more than three hours by road from Washington/Alexandria, Pittsburgh, Richmond or some other major centre. Three hours from Saskatoon puts you half way to Calgary or Edmonton, or Regina, which is smaller. You can't really understand the scope of space until you've been. Saskatchewan is roughly the size of Texas (15,000 square miles smaller) and has a population of just over one million people in the entire area. Or about 40% of Pittsburgh.

Expect food costs and fuel to be 30% more, and as far as food goes, less variety. Housing should be a push, unless you go to Calgary or a more "major" city, and then it will be considerably higher.

I'm not sure what your political reasons are, and I'm not really concerned, but be aware, politicians are stupid everywhere, and you're changing one set of problems for a different set. There is no Utopia, regardless of what the NDP says...

Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Canadians, generally are a pretty tolerant lot. I wouldn't expect many/any issues. Your biggest challenges are going to be costs, climate and location.

Canada is sparsely populated and expensive to travel to/within. You say you are in the WV valleys, but the option to go to the "city" is always there. Even from the middle of nowhere in the state, you're no more than three hours by road from Washington/Alexandria, Pittsburgh, Richmond or some other major centre. Three hours from Saskatoon puts you half way to Calgary or Edmonton, or Regina, which is smaller. You can't really understand the scope of space until you've been. Saskatchewan is roughly the size of Texas (15,000 square miles smaller) and has a population of just over one million people in the entire area. Or about 40% of Pittsburgh.

Expect food costs and fuel to be 30% more, and as far as food goes, less variety. Housing should be a push, unless you go to Calgary or a more "major" city, and then it will be considerably higher.

I'm not sure what your political reasons are, and I'm not really concerned, but be aware, politicians are stupid everywhere, and you're changing one set of problems for a different set. There is no Utopia, regardless of what the NDP says...

You mentioned cost in Saskatoon or Canada in general. Is 6,000.00$ CA enough to live on monthly? I suspect that heat and electric would be higher. Just concern about th cost of living.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janani10 View Post
You mentioned cost in Saskatoon or Canada in general. Is 6,000.00$ CA enough to live on monthly? I suspect that heat and electric would be higher. Just concern about th cost of living.
Oh no, that should be more than enough for a couple to live comfortably in Saskatoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada