Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,893 times

Advertisements

My daughter, a big city girl, has accepted a university co-op position, in forestry, in Mackenzie, BC. My concerns are many; maybe you can share some info that will put my mind at ease.

My main question, of course: Is it a safe area? Can a young woman feel safe alone at night? What about in Prince George? Would you feel comfortable if your daughter drove between these 2 towns alone after dark? My alarm level increased when I googled Prince George -- Macleans magazine listed it in 2011 as the most unsafe city in Canada! That may have been partly due to the deaths caused by a serial killer who is now on trial there, but I read other things that seem to indicate a pretty serious drug/gang problem in the town as well. Can you shed any light on this?

My other main concern is re. what kind of vehicle she will need while there. I have to help her buy a used car/SUV. I know nothing about cars. Will the amount of snowfall there require a particular kind of car or 4 Wheel Drive, eg? The Nov/Dec snowfall is about 64 cm. (25 in.) per month. I should note also that she has never driven in snow. At all. Any auto experts out there?
Thanks for anything you can tell me about this part of the province, or about snow-worthy vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
If she's going to be doing a lot of driving back and forth between McKenzie and Prince George and on other roads in both vicinities she will need a small but sturdy dependable utilitarian truck, not a car or lightweight SUV. Something very economical for gas and long distance driving, and nothing flashy or conspicuous that will mark her as a big city girl or that looks like it's worth vandalizing or stealing. That is pickup truck country up there, partly because of the overall culture, partly because of the weather conditions and partly because there are lots of unpaved roads off the main highways and outside of city limits that are hard packed gravel roads that get washboards, pot holes and frost boils.

She will definitely need to learn some good winter snow/black ice and rainy conditions driving skills up there so it might be advisable for her to sign up for some additional road safety lessons once she gets there. Driving at nights - she going to have to be very alert for large wild animals on the roads and highways, there are lots of moose and bears up there who think they own the roads.

You didn't mention what big city she's coming from, how old she is, whether or not she's a party hearty girl and social butterfly and how sensible she is at choosing her friends and associates, so I'm not going to comment about how safe she will be. The people are friendly and neither town are barbaric places but they aren't sophisticated cosmopolitan places either, so she will be as safe as much as she is sensible and practical and only you know how sensible and practical you can judge her to be.

If working and learning about the forestry industry at the university there is her cup of tea I can assure you she will be happier than a whole flock of ducks in a shallow lake up there. It's one of the best regions in all of Canada to be involved in the industry and they have truly impressive forestry programs through the university and other forestry learning centers there.

And it's very beautiful country, lots of wildlife and lots of outdoors recreational things to do in all seasons and it attracts a lot of tourists so the tourism industry is a big deal up there too.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:40 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,815 times
MacKenzie is in a snowbelt, but Prince George doesn't get nearly as much snow. A car will be just fine since they keep the roads clear of snow. MacKenzie is pretty safe at night, and PG is too, but it does have more crime.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,893 times
Thank you both for your input. Truly appreciated.

Last edited by JustWondering9; 09-06-2014 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada