Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 PM

150 posts, read 173,672 times

Advertisements

I think Quebec independence is a matter of when, not if.

Ultimately, Canada looks to break apart into 3 nations: Quebec, Ontario, and the western provinces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 01:39 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I think Quebec independence is a matter of when, not if.

Ultimately, Canada looks to break apart into 3 nations: Quebec, Ontario, and the western provinces.
What about the Maritime provinces?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Ignore this troll. Randomman's posts mainly consist of rants about impending doom, civil war, and the destruction of America/Canada. Sounds like your typical anti-establishment-occupy wall st-doom's day trolling and ranting crowd. No need to sustain a logical conversation with them. Here's a sample of Randomman's posts from other U.S./Canada threads.

Quote:
They (Canadians) can't prove they have a real nation, and not just a colony of England and America, so they deflect. But, at least one can say that when their country breaks up, they won't have the passion to shoot each other over it, so most likely the process would be fairly quiet and orderly.

I get the feeling Americans are going to have a real bloody civil war in the coming decades.
Quote:
Canada is not a real country, but to be fair, neither is the United States.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire political map of North America is redrawn in the coming decades.
Quote:
Interestingly enough, this thread proves Canadians' lack of commitment.
Quote:
America is Rome, and sports are the circuses.

Just roll with the decline, there's nothing you can do.
Quote:
The way to do it is, rant on the internet, and in real life kiss ass.

Without the ability to rant online, I would have gone postal a long time ago.
Quote:
Ah, so it's dawning on you that "endless technological advancement" is a gigantic farce perpetrated by Hollywood to get you to go into debt and buy stuff?
Quote:
Is Canada...particularly BC, Vancouver area, but also any of the other provinces, a good place to escape the decline of America? I fear America is collapsing into chaos and civil war.
Quote:
To those here who dismiss the idea of America collapse, consider this:
1) Who in the 1900s foresaw WW1?
2) Who, until the very last moment, saw what Hitler and the Nazis were going to do? Even Stalin was shocked when he invaded the Soviet Union.
3) Who in the 1980s predicted the end of the Soviet Union?........

Old 09-19-2014, 11:52 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times
His ideas seem more realistic than believing that Canada and the United States will exist in their current form forever, which is what you apparently believe. When did Canada reach its current form? Not that long ago. We can't even say for certain what Canada's northern border is, which is why Harper is repeatedly flying upper there as though that somehow proves something. As far as I know we still have a dispute with Denmark over some small island which, if they chose to occupy it, would once again change our borders. Sorry, but Canada is not immune from the forces that redefine national consciousness and borders. Natives are the fast growing population in Canada, and we already can see how this is changing the political dynamic of this country. Many simply couldn't care less about the arbitrary borders we Europeans have imposed on the land, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that when they finally manage to assert their rights, that the map of Canada will change considerably - and probably much more rapidly than many Canadians care to imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Ignore this troll. Randomman's posts mainly consist of rants about impending doom, civil war, and the destruction of America/Canada. Sounds like your typical anti-establishment-occupy wall st-doom's day trolling and ranting crowd. No need to sustain a logical conversation with them. Here's a sample of Randomman's posts from other U.S./Canada threads.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:56 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
I think Spain is the one that should be worried the most now,Canada probably comes in third or fourth.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:56 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
His ideas seem more realistic than believing that Canada and the United States will exist in their current form forever, which is what you apparently believe. When did Canada reach its current form? Not that long ago. We can't even say for certain what Canada's northern border is, which is why Harper is repeatedly flying upper there as though that somehow proves something. As far as I know we still have a dispute with Denmark over some small island which, if they chose to occupy it, would once again change our borders. Sorry, but Canada is not immune from the forces that redefine national consciousness and borders. Natives are the fast growing population in Canada, and we already can see how this is changing the political dynamic of this country. Many simply couldn't care less about the arbitrary borders we Europeans have imposed on the land, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that when they finally manage to assert their rights, that the map of Canada will change considerably - and probably much more rapidly than many Canadians care to imagine.
There is a vast difference between demographic changes/changing borders vs. civil war and destruction of Canada/America as Randomman and other fear mongers are ranting about.

Also nobody ever said that Canada's current form will remain "forever". Reform and change are occurring everyday, every year as we speak. No nation is immune to change, but to propagate notions of civil war in such a casual and careless manner is just irresponsible.

There's also reason why every nation maintains a core defense budget and sizable military, acting as a last resort in case things go south in a place like Quebec.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:28 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,191 times
The situation and reasons of sovereignty in Scotland is far more reasonable than with Quebec. However my view will never change on the topic no matter what country, if majority people want to separate, the smartest thing to do is let them separate. So if majority of Quebec wants to separate, then they should definitely separate. It will help avoid any further tension in the country.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:33 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Who??

Just joking. People always seem to forget about the poor maritime provinces even if they're the most friendliest.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Borders will always change.

Considering that when my paternal grandfather was born, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland/ Labrador weren't even provinces. Also Nunavut was created in my lifetime, so I'm prepared for more changes.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Who??

Just joking. People always seem to forget about the poor maritime provinces even if they're the most friendliest.
And they forget about Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The only provinces in Canada are Ontario (meaning Toronto), Quebec, BC and Alberta. Maybe us non-provinces should threaten to form our own separate country just to see what they would offer us to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada