Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 01:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
How cold.
Yeah I’m a terrible person bc I don’t want to pay for strangers’ healthcare any more than I already do.

This isn’t Canada.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:05 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
9 months? That's awful, and ridiculous. I've had one after a car wreck at the ER. If I needed an MRI for a condition, etc. I don't see how I couldn't get in to get one that same business week.

My mother just had one of her knees done over the summer, there was no wait whatsoever. She rescheduled more than once because she didn't want to do it, but could have had it done at anytime, virtually the week the doctor told her she would need it done (after bloodwork, etc.). The bill was 55k and she paid nothing, not one penny.
I am in the same boat. I had a complete hip replacement last year here in California. There was no wait at all. I guess they think that NOT being able to walk for 2 years is acceptable.

I have had MRIs and CT scans done on the same day that the doctor requested it.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:

This isn’t Canada.
Thank god.

I have lived there.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Usually (at least in my experience) people who are hospitalized for psychiatric reasons don’t WANT to be there; they either seek hospitalization out of desperation or are referred to a psych ward by their physician against their will. I can see why it would feel frustrating to have to help pay for their stay, but the alternative is to either let them take their own lives, or to financial cripple them and thus worsen their mental health even further.

To be frank, if I had to worry about taking a major financial hit when I was hospitalized on top of everything else I was dealing with, I might not be here today. I was lucky to have come from an upper-middle class family and was covered under my parents’ insurance. Not because I “deserved” it by having a job with good insurance (I was only a student who didn’t make any money), but because of my financial privilege.
We have never taken a financial hit. I was in the hospital 4 times in the last 2 years, twice for major surgeries. It didn't cost me anything at all. My private insurance paid for everything. I don't have any co-pays nor deductibles. I also don't pay any premium.

My insurance also covers prescription drugs, dental care, vision care, transportation to any doctor or test, gym membership, etc.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I am in the same boat. I had a complete hip replacement last year here in California. There was no wait at all. I guess they think that NOT being able to walk for 2 years is acceptable.

I have had MRIs and CT scans done on the same day that the doctor requested it.
Canadians harp on about their "free" health care but occasionally someone will admit it's the garbage that it is.

According to a previous poster who also complained, like you said, waiting 9 months for an MRI or 2 years for a knee replacement is fine, as long as it's not life-threatening.

I guess Canadians don't realize that not all healthcare is a life threatening emergency.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
You talk as if there are no wait times in the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceja.../#4a7eba2e740c

Besides having millions with no healthcare insurance who have very limited access to healthcare, you also have 4 out 10 people who have healthcare insurance, who have trouble paying for it the premiums, and the deductibles.

https://www.kff.org/health-costs/iss...th-care-costs/

Our system isn't perfect and is constantly trying to improve, but it is a system that is much more compassionate about it's fellow citizens.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Canadians harp on about their "free" health care but occasionally someone will admit it's the garbage that it is.

According to a previous poster who also complained, like you said, waiting 9 months for an MRI or 2 years for a knee replacement is fine, as long as it's not life-threatening.

I guess Canadians don't realize that not all healthcare is a life threatening emergency.
I never said waiting 2 years was fine. I did link the wait times for knee replacements for anyone to see. I suggest you do that.

As for MRI's, there are no waits for urgent care.

The longest was 364 days in ONE part of the province. In other areas the wait were much less.

At St Paul's in Vancouver the wait was 40 days, it is now 2 days.

The current government of BC saw the issue and addressed it.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I never said waiting 2 years was fine. I did link the wait times for knee replacements for anyone to see. I suggest you do that.

As for MRI's, there are no waits for urgent care.

The longest was 364 days in ONE part of the province. In other areas the wait were much less.

At St Paul's in Vancouver the wait was 40 days, it is now 2 days.

The current government of BC saw the issue and addressed it.
Meanwhile the U.S. continues it's slide …. backwards:

https://www.petoskeynews.com/news/he...dccfbc0b7.html

27.5 million, almost equal to Canada's entire population, without any medical coverage at all and they go on about "wait times" in Canada.

The article explains the reasons why and it makes you want to pity them.

Expanded Medicaid is the only thing keeping those already terrible stats from tanking into the basement and that very fact repudiates the nonsense spouted by them not paying for others healthcare. THEY ARE INDEED.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Meanwhile the U.S. continues it's slide …. backwards:

https://www.petoskeynews.com/news/he...dccfbc0b7.html

27.5 million, almost equal to Canada's entire population, without any medical coverage at all and they go on about "wait times" in Canada.

The article explains the reasons why and it makes you want to pity them.

Expanded Medicaid is the only thing keeping those already terrible stats from tanking into the basement and that very fact repudiates the nonsense spouted by them not paying for others healthcare. THEY ARE INDEED.
How many times do we have to tell you people how America works?? You Canadians don't get it.

Do you have any idea how many people on Medicaid or disability that are so "broke" they can't afford housing or food?

Yet they still have money for cigarettes and alcohol and drugs.

My BFF used to work in an Orthodontist office in Nashville that dealt with Medicaid, she told me so many stories of women with nails and hair professionally done, new MK purses and new iPhones, and how rude they were and entitled they acted, trying to milk the taxpayers for every penny. My friend is married to a lawyer who makes well over 6 figures and she doesn't even have all that.

My favorite story of hers is the woman who made a scene because Medicaid wouldn't pay for an extra retainer, so the lady made a huge scene in the waiting room screaming that she wanted gas money for her drive down there.....and the doctor actually gave her money which blows my mind.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate cases where US citizens need help, and I'm happy to help that part of the population. But what you Canadians can't get through your heads is the massive amount of scumbags, moochers, abusers, deadbeats, etc. etc. (the list goes on) that there are in the massive population that makes up the USA.

I pay enough for the less fortunate, I am not covering everyone else's health care bills. 45% of Americans pay no income tax. So guess who gets stuck with the massive bill?

Get a job that offers good insurance, it's as simple as that. I've also said this a million times but the superb, excellent Blue Cross Blue Shield plan I have is also offered to the basic $12 hourly employees. You don't even need a degree to work at my company.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
How many times do we have to tell you people how America works?? You Canadians don't get it.

Do you have any idea how many people on Medicaid or disability that are so "broke" they can't afford housing or food?

Yet they still have money for cigarettes and alcohol and drugs.

My BFF used to work in an Orthodontist office in Nashville that dealt with Medicaid, she told me so many stories of women with nails and hair professionally done, new MK purses and new iPhones, and how rude they were and entitled they acted, trying to milk the taxpayers for every penny. My friend is married to a lawyer who makes well over 6 figures and she doesn't even have all that.

My favorite story of hers is the woman who made a scene because Medicaid wouldn't pay for an extra retainer, so the lady made a huge scene in the waiting room screaming that she wanted gas money for her drive down there.....and the doctor actually gave her money which blows my mind.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate cases where US citizens need help, and I'm happy to help that part of the population. But what you Canadians can't get through your heads is the massive amount of scumbags, moochers, abusers, deadbeats, etc. etc. (the list goes on) that there are in the massive population that makes up the USA.

I pay enough for the less fortunate, I am not covering everyone else's health care bills. 45% of Americans pay no income tax. So guess who gets stuck with the massive bill?

Get a job that offers good insurance, it's as simple as that. I've also said this a million times but the superb, excellent Blue Cross Blue Shield plan I have is also offered to the basic $12 hourly employees. You don't even need a degree to work at my company.
You can shout it from the rooftops as many times as you like, you'll still have the same problem with facts refuting your individual anecdotal offerings.

Oh, and in case you are disabused of other facts; Canadians are on average, far more knowledgeable about the U.S. than the obverse.

And one more thing you should consider is; you're already paying for others healthcare, or do you think the Medicaid funding and EMTLA reimbursement to hospitals comes from goats milk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada