Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 04:48 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Bernie Sanders and AOC aren’t considered leftists in Canada? I get the impression that they’d fit right in with the NDP, which is considered Canada’s left, right?
Bernie is the guy from down South who loaded up buses and transported them to Canada to buy large quantities of medication needed by Canadian diabetics. That created a situation in Canada where drug supply for Canadians had to be evaluated.

Is that left, right, or just plain highway robbery? What goes through a man's mind to take a gang next door to clean out the medicine cabinet? He made a point, yes, but what about the Canadians who no longer had the standard supply of medicine for that population?

Is NDP all about taking from those in need and giving to those who can be utilized to make a political statement?

Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Quite right, Yeledaf.

The Canadian inferiority complex, avidly displayed many times throughout this thread, is very real, very deep-seated, and has been documented as far back as the 1800s.

Remember that anglo Canada was founded by the losers of the American Revolution, who have been forced to live in the least habitable strip of land in the western hemisphere, along the northern states of Michigan, Washington, and so on.

The wrong side was chosen and it's hard not to stare into the neighbors window and jealously search for any faults that may boost a tattered self-esteem.
As an American, I must defer to your knowledge of Canada, but I need to emphasize that I see no reason, in today’s world, why Canadians should feel inferior to any other country — including the U.S.

My family lives in Washington state, about two hours from the border. We have visited Canada regularly for many years, and I can recall multiple occasions when the news from America was so depressing that my wife and I looked at each other and wondered “why don’t we just take the pace of life down a notch and stay up here in BC?”

But of course, we couldn’t. For all its faults, we feel deep affection for our country. And so should you Canadians feel that way about yours.

I’m retired now, but my career took me to many parts of the world and introduced me to a wide variety of cultures, societies, and natural surroundings. Believe when I say that in comparison with large swaths of the rest of the world, Canada and America have a whole lot to be grateful for.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Find it interesting that US companies raise $130 billion/year in VC, while Canadian companies only raise $4 billion. No top tier investor or entrepreneur stays up there. There isn't a Canadian Tesla, Apple, Google, Facebook, or Genentech, and there isn't about to be.
A lot of oil company head offices were in Calgary. When the NDP government was in power in Alberta, all but two left. Canadian provincial governments can make a real mess of the economy in spite of the fact that all provinces are required to work together in the best interest of the country. The federal Liberal government has been slack with the "work together" part.

The Alberta NDP and Canadian Liberal governments, in their wisdom, decided that the federal government should buy the Alberta / BC pipeline, and then they started negotiating with Indigenous people who want to buy 51% of the pipeline.

Until provincial governments can cooperate, and the federal government can see that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, Canada is not a good place to invest - other than real estate and resources. Keep in mind that there are times when the Canadian dollar was stronger that the USA dollar. The pendulum always swings back.

Also, Trump and his tariffs are designed to interfere with the economy of other countries. Canada is an economic target of the USA. No one in the USA benefits, but it harms the Canadian economy.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:03 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Again, it is not what you or your acquaintances think.
Wait, my opinions shouldn't be based on what I think?
Quote:
My nephew believes Santa Claus is real, does that make it true?
Absurd analogy. The U.S. is richer than Canada, this isn't in dispute. Households prefer U.S. over Canada, this also isn't in dispute. You're saying official govt. statistics are equivalent to believing in fairy tales?
Quote:
Unless you bring sources showing that the Quality of Life is better in the US there is no point in continuing this conversation.
Um, there have been like a bazillion sources in this thread, and it's fairly common knowledge that the U.S. is wealthier and attracts more Canadians than vice-versa. Not my fault if you refuse to read or do a quick Google search.
Quote:
I can bring you dozens of links and studies showing otherwise.
OK, then please show us even one link indicating that Canada has higher QoL based on higher levels of prosperity, or that Canada attracts more Americans than vice-versa. Should be quite simple if there are really "dozens" of such studies.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
I never really had a problem with Canada until I noticed the majority of them are pretty snooty, and think they're better than us. I mean I still don't "have a problem" with Canada, but I have no desire to step foot in that country, and it would be easy as my in-laws live an hour from the border in upstate NY.

If they hate America so much they sure have a lot to say about us, and they sure love visiting.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because QoL and Social Progress have nothing do with wealth? Not sure why you find this confusing.

"Better off" is a subjective term. The median Canadian household income is significantly lower than the median U.S. household income. I think few unbiased people would agree that a poorer society is a "better off" society., though, yes, it isn't a completely implausible argument, just odd.
It's hard to buy a house for less that 3/4 million dollars in a Canadian city. A dilapidated single car garage was on the market in Toronto for $600k. Canadians have climate fluctuations that require much higher energy use. Canadians need 4 wardrobes - snow boots, rubber boots, sandals, shoes, toques, rain coat, tank top, windbreaker.

Canadian household income might be lower than the states (might not), but Canadians might have a higher quality of life. Canadian minimum wage and benefits are better, no debate, and the majority can afford expensive houses, health care, international travel, and a good quality of life.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
It's hard to buy a house for less that 3/4 million dollars in a Canadian city. A dilapidated single car garage was on the market in Toronto for $600k. Canadians have climate fluctuations that require much higher energy use. Canadians need 4 wardrobes - snow boots, rubber boots, sandals, shoes, toques, rain coat, tank top, windbreaker.

Canadian household income might be lower than the states (might not), but Canadians might have a higher quality of life. Canadian minimum wage and benefits are better, no debate, and the majority can afford expensive houses, health care, international travel, and a good quality of life.
Source on that?

Old 09-20-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I never really had a problem with Canada until I noticed the majority of them are pretty snooty, and think they're better than us. I mean I still don't "have a problem" with Canada, but I have no desire to step foot in that country, and it would be easy as my in-laws live an hour from the border in upstate NY.

If they hate America so much they sure have a lot to say about us, and they sure love visiting.
Majority of Canadians are snooty, eh. So good to hear that you don't "have a problem" about that. Sheesh. Do you think Canadians might be fleeing to that country down south to escape the snooties?

Old 09-20-2019, 05:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Again, U.S. incomes are significantly higher than in Canada. This isn't in dispute. Most people aren't comparing countries based on minimum wages, as that's not what most people make.

Yes, Canadians might arguably have a higher quality of life, but it would be for reasons having nothing to do with wealth and buying power.

To take an example, my brother is in Metro Detroit and his fiancee is in Metro Toronto. They're gonna live in Detroit after getting married in Toronto next Spring. Can you explain to me why they would go with Canada? They're both professionals, and plan to have kids.

In Detroit, they can get a beautiful suburban house for maybe 1/3 the cost of Toronto, with top-tier schools. They have private healthcare, from world-class hospitals. They can send their kids to University of Michigan, which is (probably) more prestigious than any Canadian school. Their professional salaries will be much higher. Traffic is better, consumer prices are better, even cell phone coverage is better. They have opportunities available in a country with 10x the population of Canada, and generally lower taxes and better weather.

The only reason I could think for choosing Toronto over Detroit would be if they wanted a super-urban, downtown-centric lifestyle, with no kids. In such a case, Toronto would certainly be a much better option. But if that's the priority, why not just move to NYC, which has a much better downtown than Toronto?

Old 09-20-2019, 05:55 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

Canadians don't hate Americans and Canadians are not that snooty. The average Canadian is pretty cool just like the average American. Lets not get carried away making blanket statements about people. What people write on forums is one thing, how people interact and get along in person is another. Canadians and Americans get along very well for the most part, at least that has been my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada