Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 01:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Bottom Line: this is 100% untrue. Americans, generally speaking, have a better quality of life than Canadians, which is why Canadians move to America rather than vice-versa. All things equal, suburban Michigan is nicer than suburban Ontario.

Of course someone living in Forest Hill, Toronto has a better QoL than someone living in the worst Detroit ghetto. But that has nothing to do with anything. It's like saying someone living in Bloomfield Hills, MI has a much better QoL than someone living in a crime-filled Toronto commieblock.

Professionals are obviously not gonna live in the worst neighborhoods in town, and the nice Michigan neighborhoods are nicer than the nice Ontario neighborhoods (I know, I have family in the GTA, and they're jealous of the bigger homes and yards in the U.S. Upscale Canadian places like Oakville aren't even that nice in the suburban U.S. context).

Toronto is booming because it gets a TON of immigrants, not because there's something inherently attractive about the place. It's the dominant national metro, so obviously gets the immigrants. Montreal is French-speaking and Vancouver is poorer and 2x as expensive, so the immigrants almost all go to the GTA. But immigrants aren't moving to Toronto because they think Scarborough and Brampton are beautiful areas.

There are plenty of nice areas in and around Toronto. As nice and big as some properties might be in Michigan, not all proffesionals want to live in boring suburbs. Specially not so close to such dangerous neighborhoods. Many proffesionals with families want to live in high density areas with quick access to everyhting living in a big city provides, and without having to drive everywhere. As far as upscale urban living goes, Toronto has much better options. It is MUCH safer and has better public services. People in places like Flint Michigan can't even drink the damn tap water.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:48 PM

293 posts, read 245,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Bottom Line: this is 100% untrue. Americans, generally speaking, have a better quality of life than Canadians, which is why Canadians move to America rather than vice-versa. All things equal, suburban Michigan is nicer than suburban Ontario.
My house is the best house in the world, everyone else thinks differently but I know my opinion is the only one that counts, because I say so.

You see how ridiculous that sounds?

All QOL rankings, studies and publications place Canada ahead of the US, and the gap is widening. The same happens when cities from both countries are ranked.

Sorry to burst your bubble, it is what it is.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:54 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
My house is the best house in the world, everyone else thinks differently but I know my opinion is the only one that counts, because I say so.

You see how ridiculous that sounds?

All QOL rankings, studies and publications place Canada ahead of the US, and the gap is widening. The same happens when cities from both countries are ranked.

Sorry to burst your bubble, it is what it is.
If Canada was such a destination it would have more than 30 million residents, and 90% of them wouldn't live within 100 miles of the US border. I'm sure it's nice to be an hour and a half away from the US.

Keep your high and mighty QOL, when it's -40 there and a just-annoying 40 above here in the dead of winter (and half of Canada is in FL) I'll be laughing at some dumb subjective survey you guys come up with.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
If Canada was such a destination it would have more than 30 million residents, and 90% of them wouldn't live within 100 miles of the US border. I'm sure it's nice to be an hour and a half away from the US.

Keep your high and mighty QOL, when it's -40 there and a just-annoying 40 above here in the dead of winter (and half of Canada is in FL) I'll be laughing at some dumb subjective survey you guys come up with.
You should read more and spend less time on your fake news sites. Canada was settled by predominantly those following the rail lines. You've supposedly heard of the thing called transportation routes , especially during the times when Canada was settled, being rivers and them rail, both of which were dictated by topography.

If it is your suggestion that Canadians in greater numbers live in the southern portion of Canada due to it's proximity to the U.S., you're sadly suffering from that well known American "numero-uno" syndrome.

We'll keep our high and mighty QOL AND our climate that prevents our single-wides from sailing off into Kansas oh wait we don't live in single-wides. What are you on now..... hurricane number 10 or eleven and when does Tornado season start up again?

When busily you're boasting about your superior lifestyle be sure to include these folks when you spout nonsense: https://www.investopedia.com/article...tates-2016.asp

You really need to consider all those independent orgs' assessing your QOL as having access to google and able to find stuff like this with simple key strokes …. data compiled from your own government figures.

You've got more people living in poverty than Canada has people. https://policy-practice.oxfamamerica...MaAmz7EALw_wcB

These are living in EXTREME poverty as defined by a $2.00 a day living. https://www.economist.com/democracy-...ive-on-2-a-day
Some QOL ya got going there.

Excuse Canadians for giving more credence to all those studies and census reports than some guys with two cars they're making the payments on using their visa cards.

You throw snark into a headwind expect to get some backspatter on your 10 year old Carharts.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You should read more and spend less time on your fake news sites. Canada was settled by predominantly those following the rail lines. You've supposedly heard of the thing called transportation routes , especially during the times when Canada was settled, being rivers and them rail, both of which were dictated by topography.

If it is your suggestion that Canadians in greater numbers live in the southern portion of Canada due to it's proximity to the U.S., you're sadly suffering from that well known American "numero-uno" syndrome.

We'll keep our high and mighty QOL AND our climate that prevents our single-wides from sailing off into Kansas oh wait we don't live in single-wides. What are you on now..... hurricane number 10 or eleven and when does Tornado season start up again?

When busily you're boasting about your superior lifestyle be sure to include these folks when you spout nonsense: https://www.investopedia.com/article...tates-2016.asp

You really need to consider all those independent orgs' assessing your QOL as having access to google and able to find stuff like this with simple key strokes …. data compiled from your own government figures.

You've got more people living in poverty than Canada has people. https://policy-practice.oxfamamerica...MaAmz7EALw_wcB

These are living in EXTREME poverty as defined by a $2.00 a day living. https://www.economist.com/democracy-...ive-on-2-a-day
Some QOL ya got going there.

Excuse Canadians for giving more credence to all those studies and census reports than some guys with two cars they're making the payments on using their visa cards.

You throw snark into a headwind expect to get some backspatter on your 10 year old Carharts.
Such jealousy, I guess we didn't let you in.

So you're saying it's not a coincidence that 9 out of 10 Canadians live less than 100 miles away from the US?

Riggggghhht.

And what are you blustering on about about trailers? I don't live in a trailer in Kansas, lol far from it. You're the one who would want to cover their healthcare.

Cars? I own three, not two- a Yukon, a Lexus LS430, and IS350. They're all paid for.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:16 PM

542 posts, read 503,084 times
BruSan, you moved to the U.S. yourself, right?

Old 09-21-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Such jealousy, I guess we didn't let you in.

So you're saying it's not a coincidence that 9 out of 10 Canadians live less than 100 miles away from the US?

Riggggghhht.

And what are you blustering on about about trailers? I don't live in a trailer in Kansas, lol far from it. You're the one who would want to cover their healthcare.

Cars? I own three, not two- a Yukon, a Lexus LS430, and IS350. They're all paid for.
Jealousy; nope.

I'm dreadfully sorry, I thought it was you that posted this drivel:

"If Canada was such a destination it would have more than 30 million residents, and 90% of them wouldn't live within 100 miles of the US border. I'm sure it's nice to be an hour and a half away from the US.

Keep your high and mighty QOL, when it's -40 there and a just-annoying 40 above here in the dead of winter (and half of Canada is in FL) I'll be laughing at some dumb subjective survey you guys come up with."

And; sure you do.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:

First of all, there is no longer 9 out of 10 Canadians living less than 100 miles away from the Canada/USA border. You might want to do some historical research about that, and do some research too to find out the correct population of Canada today. And take a look at some maps to see where all Canada's towns and cities, roads and railroads are now spread out to.

Canada's infrastructure and settlement never had anything to do with proximity to USA. Closeness of population to USA was never, ever a consideration for Canadians, there has never been a need for it. It was all about geography and topography. Do some research if you don't believe it. Canadian immigrants and cities were first settled and established across Canada in accordance with the rivers first (for transportation of essential goods, livestock and people) and then the railway lines across Canada (again for transportation of goods and people), and the railroads were built in accordance with what the topography and the rivers and the potential for infrastructure of Canada dictates. More and more cities were established along the railroads as the railroads were being built. If there is any kind of coincidence to Canadian populations being close to the Canadian border it's strictly because of the rivers and what the topography of Canada allowed for.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-21-2019 at 08:37 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Jealousy; nope.

I'm dreadfully sorry, I thought it was you that posted this drivel:

"If Canada was such a destination it would have more than 30 million residents, and 90% of them wouldn't live within 100 miles of the US border. I'm sure it's nice to be an hour and a half away from the US.

Keep your high and mighty QOL, when it's -40 there and a just-annoying 40 above here in the dead of winter (and half of Canada is in FL) I'll be laughing at some dumb subjective survey you guys come up with."

And; sure you do.
Lol if I cared enough I’d go take pics of all my cars but I don’t.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
BruSan, you moved to the U.S. yourself, right?
Nope! I "move" there every winter for 5 months and have done for almost 20 years to escape the snow ….. I love golfing all year. Now too old to enjoy the snowmobiling and lost the knees for skiing in the 1980's

Based upon the seasonal temperatures alone, you won't get any climate argument from me. BUT; the U.S. is not without it's weather related issues and I've yet to see the numbers of homes needing replacement in Canada due to the cold as compared to the yearly damage from storms in the U.S.

Also, you should know it very rarely EVER gets to the -40F nonsense as posted by your NBBF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada