Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 07:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

That's beautiful, everything looks so flashy in that region of the world.

We need all this on over in our part of the world.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Sorry, I meant BruSan. We had some post exchange with BruSan.

Is it not cool that someone is thinking about you?
I guess I've been designated the resident "Grinch" but I wish to assure everyone I'm just a "curmudgeon" not worthy of full Grinch status quite yet......I'm working on it though.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That's beautiful, everything looks so flashy in that region of the world.

We need all this on over in our part of the world.
They suffered for a few years from having forgotten to build and plumb sewage treatment for all the rapid expansion prior to those high-rises all going up overnight. So until around 2011 or so there were lines of huge tri-axle honey wagons stretching for miles trucking the poop out of the city to the one small operational treatment plant.

They now have a world class huge facility up and running to handle all of the sewage from all those buildings.

"Oops, we forgot something; oh well, we'll just throw a billion or so at the problem and pay over-time to Indian slave labour to build it tuite-suite".

Striking Dubai workers face mass deportation - Features - Al Jazeera English

fusion: nothings wrong with your ethics compass.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess I've been designated the resident "Grinch" but I wish to assure everyone I'm just a "curmudgeon" not worthy of full Grinch status quite yet......I'm working on it though.
I think I may be following in your footsteps. I used to be " slightly pissed off " but I've graduated to
" crotchety " and moving quickly into " hey kids, GET OFF MY LAWN ".

Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Yeah that is unfortunate... i am curious to see what this region of the world is going to be like in the future. just a bunch of empty skyscrapers or is it going to prosper? i hope it prospers...

Old 10-06-2014, 07:50 PM

245 posts, read 304,337 times
27k, before tax is definitely poverty, man. So you blow all your check on your housing, so what? are you putting 10k per year away for retirement? You can't be, obviously. You'd have to live in an old van to do that. And what will you have in 30 years if you keep working for such small money? nothing, that's what. You'll still be working and you'll still be broke.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:01 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
They suffered for a few years from having forgotten to build and plumb sewage treatment for all the rapid expansion prior to those high-rises all going up overnight. So until around 2011 or so there were lines of huge tri-axle honey wagons stretching for miles trucking the poop out of the city to the one small operational treatment plant.

They now have a world class huge facility up and running to handle all of the sewage from all those buildings.

"Oops, we forgot something; oh well, we'll just throw a billion or so at the problem and pay over-time to Indian slave labour to build it tuite-suite".

Striking Dubai workers face mass deportation - Features - Al Jazeera English

fusion: nothings wrong with your ethics compass.
The regular human rights violations and throwing sustainability to the wind that casually goes on in that part of the world is pretty eye opening to say the least. With that said, the combination of funds and political will make it a fascinating place to spend time and see grow before your eyes. It is not all flashy buildings either, they have some incredible plans in the Health Sciences sector that would make anyone turn their head for at least a moment.

I can see why it would be an uncomfortable place for Fusion to relocate to though. I have a gay friend who lives in Dubai and he has to be very discreet when his boyfriend visits him from Boston. I would never want to live anywhere I couldn't freely be myself. Both Canada and the US offer people a standard of life and personal freedoms that you actually come to appreciate more once you move around a bit, both places are doing quite well overall in my view.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Most immigrants come to Canada because they are freeing themselves from gross lack of opportunity and from places whereby certain fundamental rights and freedoms are denied to them.
This is far from the truth, although Canadians tend to believe so.

Most immigrants didn't move to Canada for "opportunities" or "rights". They came here for a higher quality of life, and these two can be quite different.

for example, about 300,000 Hong Kong Canadians choose to live in Hong Kong, instead of Canada. Why is that so? I also know many Chinese continue living and working in China after sending their wives and children to settle in Canada, because Canada doesn't have the "opportunities" they want.

Canada has a high quality of life because it has a lot more resources and a lot fewer people to compete for the limited resources, especially compared with immigrant originating countries such as China and India. But opportunities? Nah. One can easily make more money and have a better career in Hong Kong or Shanghai than in Toronto.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think I may be following in your footsteps. I used to be " slightly pissed off " but I've graduated to
You'll have reached full "Grinch" status when you start chasing them off with the garden hose.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A total tangent, but I've often wondered, can kids really damage your lawn simply by walking on it? I am talking about a kid going on your lawn to retrieve their kite or their ball, not about 200 high schoolers using your lawn as a shortcut every morning and every afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada