Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 03:17 PM

11,233 posts, read 16,341,237 times

Advertisements

I think everyone here is well aware of that fact, drro.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:46 PM

7,236 posts, read 9,209,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
You Northern Americans are giving yourself way too much credit for your involvement in WW2. It was really Russia who did most of the work and who brought by far the most sacrifices. I don't mind a little history revision now and then but it is really Russia who deserves most credit for defeating the Nazis. We still greatly appreciate your endeavours obviously.

Russian flag over the Reichstag:
I totally agree with you. But we remember the Netherlands due to the stories our soldiers told of their warm welcome in the Netherlands. So we have a collective 'special' memory of your country. Not to mention the fact that one of your queens was born here, and the flowers the Dutch send as thanks every year. I think when Canadians speak of our efforts in the Netherlands, we are actually speaking of that.

But I agree that the impulse to always paint the Soviets as the bad guys, taints the history of what actually happened during the war.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:04 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,847,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I think everyone here is well aware of that fact, drro.
Drro doesn't miss a chance to troll, even when it is at the expense of hundreds of thousands of dead Canadian and American servicemen. Classy.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:03 AM

3,594 posts, read 3,331,682 times
Upon reflection, no message.

CS.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 10-12-2014 at 03:24 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 07:32 AM

342 posts, read 507,591 times
Quote:
You Northern Americans are giving yourself way too much credit for your involvement in WW2. It was really Russia who did most of the work and who brought by far the most sacrifices. I don't mind a little history revision now and then but it is really Russia who deserves most credit for defeating the Nazis. We still greatly appreciate your endeavours obviously.

Russian flag over the Reichstag:
You really are a pathetic. Thousands of Canadians died liberating YOUR country. You can sit here typing these messages thanks to the Canadians. Yet you take every chance possible to denigrate them. Shame on you. Oh yeah and those Soviets? Equipped by the Americans. Without the Lend Lease Act and American Aid the Socivets would've been finished in early '42 and Canadian production kept the British going through the darkest years of 1940-41. But of course you won't acknowledge anything that puts the US or Canada in a good light. BTW MY Great-Uncle took a bullet trying to liberate your country in a small town called Nijmengen.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:22 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,894,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Drro doesn't miss a chance to troll, even when it is at the expense of hundreds of thousands of dead Canadian and American servicemen. Classy.
Not quite as classy as bragging about 'our victory' in a war that was decided at the east front and which claimed the lives of over 20 million Russians. You history revisionists should really try to be a bit more subtle.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:04 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,847,423 times
Quote:
Not quite as classy as bragging about 'our victory' in a war that was decided at the east front and which claimed the lives of over 20 million Russians. You history revisionists should really try to be a bit more subtle.
Nobody has denied the Soviet Union anything. The victory over Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan was a joint effort between the US, USSR, British Empire, France, and a whole plethora of other nations. No one here has has denied such. I sincerely apologize if this is how it came across to you.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM

14,634 posts, read 14,728,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post

America, Canada (part of the British Army), Britain, Czechoslovakia, and Belgium liberated the Netherlands. .......
I realize it may seem like a small thing, but still needs to be corrected. Perhaps when you made the above comment you were thinking of Canada's participation with Britain during WW1 when Canada was still a partially independent Dominion of the British Empire.

While it's true that a few Canadians served with several other allies' military forces during WW2, Canada's military was not part of the British Army or anybody else's army during WW2. By that time Canada was a fully independent sovereign state which already had its own independent Army, Navy and Air forces consisting of 1.1 million military personnel who went to war after Canada declared war on Germany independently of other allied nations.

Military history of Canada during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,709,180 times
A buncha Canadians moved to the USA for one reason or another.

Category:Canadian emigrants to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even the man who gave us Kraft Cheese.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:25 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,504,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
In very few large american cities can you walk outside at 2m downtown not worrying about crime. In LA? San Fran? Chicago? New York? While it is hardly an issue in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.
I must have missed that memo during the years I spent living in Chicago and gallivanting after dark in the other American cities listed by you here. This is complete nonsense. In the hood, sure, but elsewhere? Not at all. Canadians can sometimes be amazingly clueless.

I'm sorry, botticelli, if this appears to be a personal attack, but I can't stomach this kind of generalisation. It's flat-out wrong.

Last edited by maclock; 10-14-2014 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada