Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh the sensitivity lol.. Some people just like the urbanity of a dense place.. There's a certain vibrancy to it.. Houston does have its appeals and heck - its a growing and emerging city so the Houston of 10, 20 or 30 years from now could and most likely will be an entirely different animal.. Its probably moving in a better direction - it just isn't my cup of tea now for a plethora of valid reasons to me. We all have our reasons.. You're right though, it doesn't have to be another city! We live on a continent with many varied cities that are going to be more attractive to some more than others - stating you prefer to live in place A over B isn't being dismissive about place B..
I did not question the values of density, to those who prefer it very dense. I did not say whom I referred to? Great you agree other cities have their own identity? Some still evolving to it? All really never stop evolving. I merely point out a favorite big city I formerly lived and when others ..... seem to demean it unfairly? I Go into defense mode. I do comment on Row housing that some prefer and claim density? But I do NOT prefer. But some do have a pattern of demeaning other cities to elevate their favorite. Some another nation many times too? Some point the finger at themselves? I don't have to . I have had post deleted to use a quote to do so. So I let them reply if they think I mean them?

If I say.....your city will never be a mine? It is a bit dismissive? When both are in boom mode.

But we are off topic? But it is a broad one that can have variations. As for MY SENSITIVITY... MY 2-CENTS CAN COUNT TOO. We both can call as we see it.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I did not question the values of density, to those who prefer it very dense. I did not say whom I referred to? Great you agree other cities have their own identity? Some still evolving to it? All really never stop evolving. I merely point out a favorite big city I formerly lived and when others ..... seem to demean it unfairly? I Go into defense mode. I do comment on Row housing that some prefer and claim density? But I do NOT prefer. But some do have a pattern of demeaning other cities to elevate their favorite. Some another nation many times too? Some point the finger at themselves? I don't have to . I have had post deleted to use a quote to do so. So I let them reply if they think I mean them?

If I say.....your city will never be a mine? It is a bit dismissive? When both are in boom mode.

But we are off topic? But it is a broad one that can have variations.
Are you making a bunch of statements or asking questions? I can't keep track and don't know how to respond to this.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Are you making a bunch of statements or asking questions? I can't keep track and don't know how to respond to this.
comments..... you assume it needed a reply

Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I have no idea.. normally when one puts a bunch of question marks after a sentence they are asking questions yet your 'questions' just seem like a bunch of random statements. Almost as if spoken in riddles!?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 PM

Speaking of harsh winters.....

Winter of 2015: Boston would wave a white flag, if you could see it - CNN.com

Toronto and even Montreal might not be so bad lol....

Old 02-11-2015, 07:24 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
For some people this is REALLY important... You see it because they are constanly yimmering and yammering about oh its January and i'm outside in my Speedo's with a Mohito by the pool or hahaha i'm not shoveling the driveway suckas

For most of us in Canada and in many parts of the U.S N.E and Midwest- yes winter sucks and the weather sucks for 4 months but it is something we've come to accept and in many cases enjoy and we know it only lasts for a third of the year. Would I rather not have winter or at least a milder one than I get - sure but is it enough to force me to wanna leave - NAH... Besides, it gives me an excuse to book a trip to Portugal and Morocco in Feb
Oh, gimme a break, fusion. Not everyone thinks like you do. Deal with it.

After 40+ years of northern winters, yeah, I was ready to move on. And I don't feel the least bit guilty.

FYI, I LOVE a nice, crisp winter day when everything is covered in a nice, thick layer of fresh, powdery, clean snow and the sun is brightly shining. But, be honest: over an entire winter, how many days are there like that, generally speaking? Most of the winter is gray, gray, and more gray. I'd had enough of it.

And might I remind you that you're able to do all the travelling you do because you don't have the responsibility or expense of kids. Some of us are raising future citizens, however, (hell, SOMEBODY'S gotta do it), so we don't have the freedom that you do to escape the winter for a couple of weeks every year. Ever consider that?

Old 02-11-2015, 02:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

After 40+ years of northern winters, yeah, I was ready to move on. And I don't feel the least bit guilty.

FYI, I LOVE a nice, crisp winter day when everything is covered in a nice, thick layer of fresh, powdery, clean snow and the sun is brightly shining. But, be honest: over an entire winter, how many days are there like that, generally speaking? Most of the winter is gray, gray, and more gray. I'd had enough of it.

And might I remind you that you're able to do all the travelling you do because you don't have the responsibility or expense of kids. Some of us are raising future citizens, however, (hell, SOMEBODY'S gotta do it), so we don't have the freedom that you do to escape the winter for a couple of weeks every year. Ever consider that?
Haaar! Now that revelation explains a lot!

Having enough of depressing winters is something I can relate to.

Having children is something I cannot. My wife and I made the conscious choice to forego the pleasure until we were established and financially secure. When that time had come we had spoiled ourselves rotten and decided we preferred to maintain that lifestyle rather than starting a family.

Extensive travel with both our careers allowing for over two months of vac'n a year was our routine for decades.

I fully understand how someone with a young family would be lacking in sympathy and patience for anyone with the ability to pick up and go periodically without having to factor children and their constant care into the equation.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

Why do you take everything I say as being directed at you? I'm perplexed.. I've even stated before that i'd like to retire to a warmer locale myself - Thailand being on the top of my list so my post has zip to do with you.. I'm keenly aware that Bru lives in the U.S half or most of the year yet I seem to get along famously with him (he presumably worked hard most of his life and deserves it!) - you on the other hand get your back up at my comments that are usually general and usually just expressing how I feel.. Its not a requirement for me to need to assimilate others at all. I do think people need to put 4 mths of winter into perspective - it ain't the end of the world.. If winter was 9 or 12 mths of the year I could see all the himming and hawing.

As for the comments about kids - I'm GAY... my partner and I don't have time for kids nor can we have any biologically.. We're not interested in adopting either - too complicated. At no point have I ever said anything derogatory about people who have kids nor have I contended that it is easy either.. I have the utmost respect for that job - its tough. I talk to people at work all the time about life and I have to hear about the challenges of having kids and raising em - especially as teenagers. Trust me, I admire all the qualities required to raise kids but that's just not in the cards for me in this life.. Are you homophobic btw? Is this part of the anger you have directed at me? I'm just asking i'm not saying you are but for some reason I just rub you the wrong way and I think its largely unfair and irrational.

Anyway if you want to use me as a punching bag and it feels good for you go right ahead!

As for not everyone thinking the way I do - where'd that come from.. I agree and we're all unique - I accept that can you accept it.? I dunno if you can you seem to get pretty angry at people who don't share your views. Especially if they have any modicum of positive to say about Canada.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-11-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 05:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,322 times
I'm a Canadian but let's face it, Canada is a small nation, not by its physical size but by population. The US, a a result, is the land of opportunity. If you're an ambitious and hard working person who values making money, US will always be more enticing. People who want a government job are not the ones moving to the US. In many fields, Canadian salaries are much lower than their American counterparts. Also, everything is cheaper in the US so your money gets you farther in the US than in Canada. Lower taxes make a difference too. I live in Alberta but if I had a choice between Quebec and the US, I'd take the latter every time. People do not like a combination of lower salaries, higher taxes, and high cost of living. I truly believe that Alberta is the only province where you get some of the advantages of US and the advantages of Canada (health care, etc.). Of course the weather is absolutely terrible but you get used to it and a lot of people just go on vacation once or twice a year to distant tropical lands.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea.. normally when one puts a bunch of question marks after a sentence they are asking questions yet your 'questions' just seem like a bunch of random statements. Almost as if spoken in riddles!?
Steeps .... Fusion2 makes a good point. I had been going to ask you the same thing. Are you asking questions or making statements? Because all of your posts are full of question marks (?) that you are using incorrectly for punctuation instead of using a period (.) where it belongs at the end of each statement. It does make it difficult to follow what you're trying to express in your posts when it looks like you are asking a bunch of questions instead of making simple comments.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada