Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2014, 12:02 PM
 
342 posts, read 511,128 times
Reputation: 531

Advertisements

According to Statistics, about 2 Canadians move to America for every 1 American that moves to Canada. Considering that there are 300 million inhabitants in the US and around 30 million in Canada, this is a very large difference. The US is also harder to immigrate to which makes it more interesting. Between 2001-2006 (9/11 and Bush years) the numbers of Canadians each year going to the US dropped, but was still about double the number of Americans going north.

Canadian Government States:US - CA Population Exchange

During the years since 2006, the exchange has remained about the same. 2 Canadians move to the US for every American moving to Canada, despite the fact that America has 10 times the population and is harder to immigrate to.

Immigration Stats for Canada (Immigrant Origins)

Immigration Stats for America (Incoming Immigrants)

Why do you think so many more Canadians move to the US than vice versa?

 
Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Reputation: 9263
You already know the answer to that
 
Old 09-22-2014, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Reputation: 11937
Go for it.

Emigration from Canada to the United States from 2000 to 2006
 
Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Reputation: 2220
Money, weather, opportunity, love, politics, culture, demographics.
 
Old 09-22-2014, 01:19 PM
 
2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Reputation: 2349
And how many move back immediately when they get shocked about what they see in Baltimore, St. Louis, Detroit, LA or New Orleans or when they receive their first medical bill? I know about quite of few Europeans who moved back to Europe after experiencing what the US is really about.
 
Old 09-22-2014, 01:25 PM
 
35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Reputation: 30999
I'd imagine the majority of Canadians move south for increased job opportunities, and to live in a warmer climate. Or maybe they just like that greener grass.
 
Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 PM
 
3 posts, read 20,873 times
Reputation: 34
Those stats are out of date but let me put things in context. During those years Canada was struggling and US was prospering.

I assume it's about equal now.
 
Old 09-22-2014, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Reputation: 11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
And how many move back immediately when they get shocked about what they see in Baltimore, St. Louis, Detroit, LA or New Orleans or when they receive their first medical bill? I know about quite of few Europeans who moved back to Europe after experiencing what the US is really about.
To be honest, though some Canadians who move to the U.S. do come back to Canada, most do not. Even many of those who miss Canada dearly will hold back on returning because they don't want to give up the easily practical and material lifestyle they have in the U.S.

The U.S. has many bad points but most Canadians who move there are white collar professionals and live on the "good side" of U.S. society, not the "bad side".

For example, if you are a white collar professional from Canada recruited to a job in the U.S. you will have access to private medical insurance and care. The care you get in the U.S. will almost certainly be faster and as good or better than what you'd get in Canada. This does not take away the millions of Americans who have no coverage, but Canadians living down there are almost never in that situation.
 
Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM
 
3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Reputation: 3672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To be honest, though some Canadians who move to the U.S. do come back to Canada, most do not. Even many of those who miss Canada dearly will hold back on returning because they don't want to give up the easily practical and material lifestyle they have in the U.S.

The U.S. has many bad points but most Canadians who move there are white collar professionals and live on the "good side" of U.S. society, not the "bad side".

For example, if you are a white collar professional from Canada recruited to a job in the U.S. you will have access to private medical insurance and care. The care you get in the U.S. will almost certainly be faster and as good or better than what you'd get in Canada. This does not take away the millions of Americans who have no coverage, but Canadians living down there are almost never in that situation.
Yeah plus I don't think a Canadian even could move here without a college degree, except (maybe) if they married an American or they had a successful business of their own.
 
Old 09-22-2014, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Reputation: 2220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy View Post
Those stats are out of date but let me put things in context. During those years Canada was struggling and US was prospering.

I assume it's about equal now.
No. If you read the last two links (Census data) there are still twice the number of Canadians moving to the US each year, even in 2009-10 when the US was at it's lowest point of economic depression since The Great Depression. Yet even when the American economy was in a deep depression and Canada's economy was booming, twice the number of Canadians have kept coming despite the pointed out facts that Canada has only 1/10 the population and the US is extremely difficult to immigrate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top