Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 PM

372 posts, read 599,246 times

Advertisements

I'm from the US, and I'm curious about how Halloween is celebrated in Canada. Are there halloween parties in the schools? Do a lot of kids go out trick or treating? Or haunted hayrides, pumpkin carving, cider mills, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:35 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Oh yeah for sure, all of that stuff happens here, except maybe cider mills, although maybe just because I am not even aware of what that is exactly. I used to get pretty excited to go out for Halloween when I was younger. Even now, there are always themed /costume parties and people are not usually too keen to go to work or school on November 1st...

Old 09-22-2014, 09:36 PM

250 posts, read 642,779 times
I grew up on both sides of the border. Halloween in Canada us very similar to Halloween in the us.

October 31 can be very cold in sone parts of canada though. It's not uncommon to see kids trick or treating with costumes stretched over snow suits!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,788 times
I spent my first few years in the States, and I remember trick-or-treating in the afternoon not evening, and ending up with a nice haul. I can't remember what it was like in school, though.

Here in Canada, I can remember Halloween was something I looked forward to, and in school we would have activities to do. One year I remember getting a thick stack of puzzles and pictures to colour. Going door-to-door was generally good in our neighbourhood, although I remember one year at least when it was warm and pouring rain.

When I was in first grade we went downtown to a Halloween tunnel that local students staged. It must have been pretty amateurish, but from my childish perspective it was so authentic and genuinely spine-chilling.

I also remember that once or twice there was an issue with people making candies with glass or putting pins in apples, which for a child is really disconcerting.

Over the years in this area the population has fluctuated, and there were some periods where the trick-or-treating really declined, but then rebounded. It seems to be on the upswing around here, as more young families seem to be moving here.

I think there is a change in how serious people take it - society is becoming more secular and the paranormal/occult is increasingly popular. More people seem to decorate their homes and lawns and it seems that there is more emphasis on horror and gore...

On the other hand, the pc crowd has become more vocal it would seem. In the past it was religious groups that were the main critics, now it's leftists who think that Halloween is not politically correct.

Halloween 2011: Taming the devils, demons and pumpkins | National Post

Old 09-22-2014, 11:18 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
except maybe cider mills, although maybe just because I am not even aware of what that is exactly.

now I'm curious, too....I can assume what a "cider mill" is, but wondering what it has to do with Halloween...is it popular in some area of the US on October 31?....thanks

Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
We go apple picking in the fall here, and it's usually at big pick yourself Apple farms, which usually also sell their homemade cider and fresh donuts I don't think we call them cider mills in Canada though, like in the States.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I spent my first few years in the States, and I remember trick-or-treating in the afternoon not evening, and ending up with a nice haul. I can't remember what it was like in school, though.

Here in Canada, I can remember Halloween was something I looked forward to, and in school we would have activities to do. One year I remember getting a thick stack of puzzles and pictures to colour. Going door-to-door was generally good in our neighbourhood, although I remember one year at least when it was warm and pouring rain.

When I was in first grade we went downtown to a Halloween tunnel that local students staged. It must have been pretty amateurish, but from my childish perspective it was so authentic and genuinely spine-chilling.

I also remember that once or twice there was an issue with people making candies with glass or putting pins in apples, which for a child is really disconcerting.

Over the years in this area the population has fluctuated, and there were some periods where the trick-or-treating really declined, but then rebounded. It seems to be on the upswing around here, as more young families seem to be moving here.

I think there is a change in how serious people take it - society is becoming more secular and the paranormal/occult is increasingly popular. More people seem to decorate their homes and lawns and it seems that there is more emphasis on horror and gore...

On the other hand, the pc crowd has become more vocal it would seem. In the past it was religious groups that were the main critics, now it's leftists who think that Halloween is not politically correct.

Halloween 2011: Taming the devils, demons and pumpkins | National Post
Very weird to go trick or treating in the Afternoon! Here, it's always once it gets dark, except for some really young kids who go out at dusk. I wouldn't answer my door if it was still daylight, lol.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
I'm from the US, and I'm curious about how Halloween is celebrated in Canada. Are there halloween parties in the schools? Do a lot of kids go out trick or treating? Or haunted hayrides, pumpkin carving, cider mills, etc?
Halloween in Canada is very similar to in the States, including in Quebec where there are no significant differences in Halloween traditions or popularity which sometimes surprises people as other french speaking societies do not have this tradition. One thing that is a difference and surprised me when I first moved to British Columbia is that in this province individuals shooting off fireworks is a very important Halloween tradition, to the point where municipal governments will authorize the selling of fireworks only for 1 week around Halloween in order for an exception to exist that allows this dearly held tradition to continue. I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that Guy Fawkes Day involves alot of fire and is right near Halloween and people have stopped celebrating it in favour of Halloween. The traditions probably merged somewhat.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
It's the exact same - there maybe minor differences based on neighbourhoods -- just like in the USA.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Halloween is exactly the same in Canada as the U.S. It's a fun holiday I always look forward to with all the decorations and pumpkins everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada