Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The USA already started finger printing at the border a few years ago. I got finger printed by the USBP in 2008 when I was on my way to do a cross country sight-seeing road trip for 3 months during the summer and visit various relatives throughout USA. The border official had himself convinced that I had ulterior motives and was planning on looking for work illegally and he wouldn't let me cross unless I consented to finger printing. Honestly, I don't know why he would think a retired, grey-haired old woman with a proven residence and family of my own in Canada would just want to up and do something weird and illegal like that.

I think he was having a bad day though. He got really frustrated with me when I started crying and he took his reading glasses off and threw them at me. And then he had problems with the finger printing thingy and I had to help him make adjustments to it and I had to clean and polish the glass plate with a kleenex before it would work properly to read my prints and he had the nerve to call me a fussy old mother hen! He was such a goof. Then the last time I went across the border was a couple of years ago and they were rude to me then too so I haven't gone back since. It's not worth the disrespect and harrassment and my money is better spent here at home.

Wow. Throwing his glasses at you is assault.

EDIT: Your fingerprinting story reminded me of someone I know who was being fingerprinted by a US guard. The guard said " left ", meaning left hand. Because of the guards American twang, she heard " lift ". So there they were, one lifting her hand looking confused as the guard got louder and louder yelling " I said LEFT ".

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-07-2014 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 03:04 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The USA already started finger printing at the border a few years ago. I got finger printed by the USBP in 2008 when I was on my way to do a cross country sight-seeing road trip for 3 months during the summer and visit various relatives throughout USA. The border official had himself convinced that I had ulterior motives and was planning on looking for work illegally and he wouldn't let me cross unless I consented to finger printing. Honestly, I don't know why he would think a retired, grey-haired old woman with a proven residence and family of my own in Canada would just want to up and do something weird and illegal like that.

I think he was having a bad day though. He got really frustrated with me when I started crying and he took his reading glasses off and threw them at me. And then he had problems with the finger printing thingy and I had to help him make adjustments to it and I had to clean and polish the glass plate with a kleenex before it would work properly to read my prints and he had the nerve to call me a fussy old mother hen! He was such a goof. Then the last time I went across the border was a couple of years ago and they were rude to me then too so I haven't gone back since. It's not worth the disrespect and harrassment and my money is better spent here at home.

ROFL! You should write sit-coms for TV! lol!

Yeah, the US is really over the top with how they treat people. Both at the border and at US embassies. Rudeness and yelling at people shouldn't be allowed.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 AM

342 posts, read 511,128 times
Closing the border would be a disaster for Canada, The economy would totally collapse. Millions would lose their jobs and the safety net would break under the weight. There would be millions of homeless freezing in the streets of Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal. Canada would be done for. Quebec would quickly secede when they stop getting their pay-offs. Canada's only hope would be the oil in Alberta, and Canada would be relegated to a second-world country over night, totally reliant on the export of this one valuable resource to new found consumers across the world. Like poor African countries with oil, Canada would get ripped off since it would desperate for money and willing to sell for any amount. I don't like this scenario at all. Keep the borders wide open. Better yet, lets join together in an EU type deal.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:58 AM

342 posts, read 511,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
ROFL! You should write sit-coms for TV! lol!

Yeah, the US is really over the top with how they treat people. Both at the border and at US embassies. Rudeness and yelling at people shouldn't be allowed.
The only time I've ever had an issue crossing the border was with Canadian guards. And that was only once, and the guy was just a dick. Every other time it has been showing my ID and answering a couple questions and I would be on my way.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:40 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A totally open border would be a disaster for Canada.

I do remember the days when crossing was much simpler, but times have changed.

With valid documentation, and the right attitude ( they are just doing their job ) most crossings are fairly simple. In fact, the technology used today makes it quite quick to cross. They can see in their records your history etc.

That said, ANY border guard on either side of the border that is power tripping and rude gets no respect from me. I mean afterwards LOL. At the time I just hold back and stay cool.

The worse for me was the few years after 9/11. Horrible experiences.

Lately they've been fine. Smiling even.

( the above experiences are of course my own. I am aware that racial profiling exists and those people may have a different experience )
I agree that most crossings on both sides are pretty simple. I travel back and forth semi frequently and trust me both the Canadian and US border crossings are a piece of cake compared to other parts of the world.

Immediately after 9/11 it was very strict and at times offensive the way that the US border guards interacted with people. I have a couple stories to tell personally. At the same time back in the late 80's early 90's traveling on your Jamaican passport back into Canada (We were living in Toronto but not citizens at the time) was a nightmare. Once they heard your Jamaican accent or saw your place of birth or passport, you were treated like utter sh*t. It got so bad that my parents renewed our British passports and we started traveling on that, since the average Canadian border agent was too stupid to understand the difference between a well spoken Jamaican accent and an English one back in those days. Plus thankfully the POB was not obvious in the way it was written in the old passports.

Thankfully now most of the experiences are favorable, but I am glad you mentioned racial profiling, because that plays a huge role on both sides of the border.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I agree that most crossings on both sides are pretty simple. I travel back and forth semi frequently and trust me both the Canadian and US border crossings are a piece of cake compared to other parts of the world.

Immediately after 9/11 it was very strict and at times offensive the way that the US border guards interacted with people. I have a couple stories to tell personally. At the same time back in the late 80's early 90's traveling on your Jamaican passport back into Canada (We were living in Toronto but not citizens at the time) was a nightmare. Once they heard your Jamaican accent or saw your place of birth or passport, you were treated like utter sh*t. It got so bad that my parents renewed our British passports and we started traveling on that, since the average Canadian border agent was too stupid to understand the difference between a well spoken Jamaican accent and an English one back in those days. Plus thankfully the POB was not obvious in the way it was written in the old passports.

Thankfully now most of the experiences are favorable, but I am glad you mentioned racial profiling, because that plays a huge role on both sides of the border.
Oh Edward; you probably don't realize what you just did there, do you?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh Edward; you probably don't realize what you just did there, do you?
Not the best choice of words and also stereotyping, which is ignorant on its own. So I stand corrected.

I just find it odd that traveling on one passport results in complete car searches and tossing ones luggage top to bottom. Then once you change, its smooth sailing. A complete coincidence I assume.....

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 10-08-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Not the best choice of words and also stereotyping, which is ignorant on its own. So I stand corrected.

I just find it odd that traveling on one passport results in complete car searches and tossing ones luggage top to bottom. Then once you chance, its smooth sailing. A complete coincidence I assume.....
I understand; believe me, I fully understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada